OT: Solar Eclipse & Sweet Tooth Alert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Solar Eclipse & Sweet Tooth Alert

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Uh-oh, KK will be crowded then, huh?

Actually no.... We have two in town... One is almost always busy... The other less so. I learned my lesson a few weeks ago

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I live in Travelers Rest SC and we were just inside the totality...lucky enough to watch it from my yard. Kinda neat but not a big deal during the time leading up and wearing those ridiculous glasses. :) But the 2 minutes or so during the full eclipse was really cool. As soon as the last bit of sun went behind the moon it got dark with a snap of the fingers. Very cool affect seeing the sun completely covered with an aura like light ring around it. It was fascinating to see. A couple minutes later as the tiniest portion of the sun came back out it brightened up pretty quickly.

You were fortunate to have such good weather.

This was me. :oops:

IMG_20170821_165410.jpg

Reaction Score
You were fortunate to have such good weather.

This was me. :oops:

Oh thats a bummer :(

We had some clouds start to come in...a few minutes before and I was really getting worried but they held out.

Reaction Score
Heard there will be one in 2024 that will go from Mexico up thru Maine.
I THINK there with be totality in Connecticut!!!

Watched todays in San Francisco about 75% and pretty clear skies.....amazing

Reaction Score
Yup and for a while it was less than midday sunny but very very far from dark and the temperature dipped 8 -10 degrees for a time. If you aren't staring at it, it's a nonevent.

The only one I ever saw was when I was about 8-10 years old. The old ladies, who then spent half their lives in church, were frightened to the point of some of them hiding under beds--how the be was supposed to protect them--??? It wasn't to me-and this one for me here in Va was a bust. We got a storm that darkened the skies and the wind blew --no mid day night.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
IMG_5478.JPG.jpeg
Here in Louisville we were at about 96% coverage. Amazing how much light still comes through with just a sliver of the sun showing. It was pretty amazing. In 2024 I will find myself in totality. Many friends and family braved the traffic and crowds and said it was beyond words.
I work with kids, we took time out to view the eclipse (safely) and also used a colander to to show the crescent shaped light peaking through.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I THINK there with be totality in Connecticut!!!

Watched todays in San Francisco about 75% and pretty clear skies.....amazing

Read that it will be 93.7% in CT in 2024. 100% in Burlington VT and Plattsburgh NY, tho. Oh, and Montreal if you need an excuse to go there!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I sampled the KK "Chocolate Glaze (aka CG)" yesterday (and am about to finish some leftovers with coffee...). My initial rating is 7 on a scale of 0-10. For a baseline I'd rate them about the same as KKs "original" (sugar) glazed, probably their most popular variety, especially good when purchased warm.

I thought the CG variety's donut would be chocolate. It is not. Just the glaze is chocolate. Not that there is anything WRONG with that ;). The donuts are the same as the regular glazed (NTTIAWWT...). I'll probably buy a few again today in the interest of further scientific sampling/comparison. (Since they may no longer be available)

BTW, the KK store I stopped at yesterday (Sunday afternoon) was packed with people/cars (~50% from out of state). People were walking out with 2 and 3 dozen boxes of all types. (Road food?).

The CG glazed was selling but not the most popular during my brief observation while waiting in line. :)

I ended up at Krispy Kreme Monday after my failed attempted to drive out to the countryside to get out from under the clouds. My original thought was to get a dozen of these eclipses... but thought that was too gluttonous. I asked the lady how much 6 were..... she said something like 6.50... ..... then if i added two Reeses... it would be 10 dollars. It made more sense just to get a dozen assorted for 11 bucks :oops: Ended up with 8 eclipses....... they were tasty....... surprisingly i didnt like them as much as the original glazed. I wondered what they would have been like warm.... but whenever I was ready to eat one.... i didnt want to wait the 10-12 seconds it would have taken to warm them up in the microwave :oops::oops::oops::oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh thats a bummer :(

We had some clouds start to come in...a few minutes before and I was really getting worried but they held out.

I felt bad for the thousands of people (many youngsters) who went to the various watch parties all over the county..... and the thousands of people who went to the minor league baseball park downtown for their special Eclipse baseball game.. which started at exactly 1:13. The ONLY place in the entire state of NC to get rain was Guilford county for about an hour..... after the eclipse had passed...... the clouds broke and the sun shown brightly :oops:

Im glad the weather cooperated in all the other areas of NC and in South Carolina...... all of the TV stations up here sent crews down to Columbia and the scenes of the crowds down there were remarkable. Im sure they were the same way up in Greenville. I looked at Google Map Traffic a few hours later..... and Interstate 85 North was backed up from the NC state line to Greenville... and 85 South was jammed up from the Atlanta Suburbs back to the SC state line :eek::eek::eek::eek: It was similar on 77 North out of Columbia and 95.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom