OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Choochoo. Retired railroad worker and husky fan since 1987 with Megan and Laura and Kerry B.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
When this thread started last year I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and that is how I got my handle. In 1977 I hiked the PCT with four other guys. The trail was not finished and we only had two guidebooks between the five of us. We either had to hike all together, not really an option for such independent folks, or get to know each other's footsteps to determine who we might be in front or behind. I had a bounce to my walk, making divots with my toes as I pushed forward. Hence, Diggerfoot.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Handle: I live in and grew up in New York, but sometimes when you say that people automatically think that means you live in NYC. So then I go on to tell them no no no, I grew up on a farm. Then they would look at me like I was crazy and then say "Oh you are from upstate New York?" I would say no I am from western NY to try and get them to narrow the geography considering everything above NYC would be considered upstate since in terms of land mass NYC only comprises about 3% of the state and is litertally at the bottom of the state, you can only go up lol. Eventually I stopped trying to explain it to people and when they'd ask where I was from I'd just say "I'm a nuyoika!" and let them think what they wanted :cool:.

Avatar: I saw this pic on Pinterest that said "What is losing a championship game like? I don't know were UConn fans." I fell in love.

Reaction Score
My handle is as simple as most on here - it's part of my WHOLE name (actually my childhood friends called me this), plus the year I was born. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac - One of Johnny Carson's many cast of unique and offbeat characters he played while he hosted the Tonight Show from
First episode date: October 1, 1962 Final episode date: May 22, 1992.

CARNAC THE GREAT - Carnac was always my favorite Carson character. During the skit, he and his co-host Ed McMahon, would give answers to questions that were in sealed envelopes held by McMahon and given to Carnac one at a time. Carnac would take the envelope, hold it to his forehead (as depicted in the avatar), the answer would then, and only then come to him, then he would reveal it to us.

Then Carnac would tear open the envelope, take out the paper the question was written on, and read it to us. The answer was always funny.
But it wasn't funny until he read the question to us. I know the show's writer's had a lot of fun thinking up questions and answers for that skit.

Sometimes I like to do a little prognosticating myself. Ergo, enter Carnac. This avatar fits me perfectly. The turban and cape just adds a little flavor.
I was looking for an avatar that no one else had. Something that was unique.

Sometimes I'll "tip the turban" to someone who has posted a profound comment or take that I really like.

My real name is Jaden. I live in Southern California. I love the UConn women's basketball team. In Geno I trust. Everyone that I work with knows that I am a huge UConn women's basketball fan because I'm usually wearing a UConn championship tee shirt and hat, and I'll share a factoid or story about how good the team is to anyone who will listen.

I attended the two games UConn played last season out here against UC Davis and Stanford back in November. That was the first time I've attended a UConn women's game. Even though we lost one of them, I enjoyed just being there, and seeing them live and in person. Watching a game in person is nothing like watching it on TV.

A lot of people were wondering and asking how and why UConn lost. If you were there, you didn't have to ask. The reasons were painfully obvious.
UConn Nation was well represented. There were lots of UConn fans in attendance. We wore our UConn gear proudly.

Attending a couple of games in Gampel Pavilion sometime soon is on my bucket list. I've been a hardcore UConn women's basketball fan since 2007. Working lots of hours during the week, and the lack of news (coverage) about the huskies out here, prevented me from becoming a fan sooner.

I love the Yard. I use to frequent another thread that was not nearly as civil as this one is. Lot's of haters there. Lots of caustic and condescending language there also. No holds barred. No censorship until a complaint was lodged. You could not use paragraphs either. The system would automatically close the spaces. The Yard is great. You guys cover ALL the bases. From a fan 3000 miles away, thank you.

I've got a good feeling (and it's not gas) about the upcoming season. Barring injury, I don't see how we cannot be one of the top 3-4 teams vying for the national championship. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Back in the late 80's I think when the second of the "Back to the Future" movies came out, my then young son and I had a little "disagreement". I don't remember what it was about anymore but in his fit of anger at me and the "parental position" I was taking, he called me "mean old Biff" after the "mean old Biff " character from the movie. The mean old Biff moniker stuck for awhile whenever he was unhappy with me and eventually it got shortened to "Biff". Many people know me first by that name vs my real name now. And, I kinda adopted it as my nom de Guerre for my on-line presence and my "artwork".

As far as the Avatar, Gort represents my usual demeanor and attitude as a moderator and a person. If I don't like you I just zap you out of existence. If I do like you I still zap you out of existence but might feel bad about it.....maybe.

I like the original Gort (1951). All business, no non-sense. That would be a great avatar!.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Carnac - I attended the two games UConn played last season out here against UC Davis and Stanford back in November. That was the first time I've attended a UConn women's game. Even though we lost one of them, I enjoyed just being there, and seeing them live and in person. Watching a game in person is nothing like watching it on TV.

Ahem.

In your otherwise superlative and enriching post, I think you got one teentsy statement (bolded by me) backward. The thought you intended was surely something to the effect that watching a game on TV is nothing like watching a game in person.

Watching that horrible loss to Stanford would disrupt the prose of even the most ardent UConn fan.:confused:

BTW, great recollection of Carnac cards.:D

Carnac

Reaction Score
I didn't know about the Bone Yard back then. This is where I get most of my news from.
What's in a name? I think it's pretty straightforward in my case; my name is actually Alex, the RG stands for my hyphenated last name, and I live in CT. HuskyNan's is also straightforward. Assuming JS's initials truly are JS, there we would have it in his case. However, not everyone is obvious:

• Icebear- he's neither icy nor a bear. In fact, he's a man of the cloth. Please elaborate.
  • Ocoandasoc- A what and a what now???
  • J66Kicker- can he be relied upon to hit field goals and wear the number 66?
  • Calpedaler- Pedaling what? A bicycle? Contraband? Cals?
These are just some examples. What inspired you to call yourself what you do on a message board, and what does it all mean?

This is one of the best posts I've read since becoming a regular on the yard. I spent an hour reading all of the replies. It was interesting reading about the origins of some of the names, and the backgrounds of some of the posters. 2 thumbs up to you sir! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Zorro has always been my hero, the way he was always going around righting wrongs and baffling the alcalde and stabbing folks that needed stabbing, and stuff like that, and my hair turned a whiter shade of grey a while back. And there were already too damned many bears in the 'yard. And then Mean Ol Biff made this great avatar for me.

Disney's Zorro (Guy Williams) was one of my favorite TV programs back in the late 1950's. I loved Zorro. Part of the show's theme song: That bold renegade carves a "Z" with his blade. A "Z" that stands for ZORRO. Every once in a while, I'll go to you tube, and watch an episode. The quality is not that good, but it's tolerable.
Zorro was like Paladin (Have Gun-Will Travel), they both deplored violence. But if you needed to get stabbed or shot, they would gladly accommodate you.
In the end, justice always prevailed. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like the original Gort (1951). All business, no non-sense. That would be a great avatar!.

A little background on the actor (Lock Martin) that played Gort in the original 1951 version of movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still".

Date of Birth 12 October 1916, Pennsylvania, USA
Date of Death 19 January 1959, Los Angeles County, California, USA
Birth Name Joseph Lockard Martin Jr.
Nicknames Lock Martin
Joe Martin
Height 7' 4" (2.24 m)

Mini Bio (1)
One of the tallest actors ever, he held various odd jobs before his debut on the silver screen. He worked for Spike Jones and his City Slickers, Ardens Dairy (in California,) as a Cowboy for Public Relations and at Knotts Berry Farm (an amusement park), (in Southern California) also as a Cowboy.

It was while he was working as a doorman at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood that his height was noticed and because of it he was chosen for the role of Gort. He also hosted a children's TV show in the Los Angeles area in the 50s called 'The Gentle Giant'.

He was not a very strong man for his size. He was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills, California.

Any one that saw this movie remembers these 3 words....."Klaatu barada nikto" :eek:

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When this thread started last year I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and that is how I got my handle. In 1977 I hiked the PCT with four other guys. The trail was not finished and we only had two guidebooks between the five of us. We either had to hike all together, not really an option for such independent folks, or get to know each other's footsteps to determine who we might be in front or behind. I had a bounce to my walk, making divots with my toes as I pushed forward. Hence, Diggerfoot.
Did you see the movie "Wild"?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
BigBird is an amalgam of my rather large size (make my UConn tee shirt a 4X), and the Redbirds of Illinois State University (B.A. '72, M.A. '73). It has nothing to do with Sesame Street that I know of. Besides, yellow isn't my good color...
I believe my sister-in-law graduated from there. Well after '72/'73 though. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ahem.

In your otherwise superlative and enriching post, I think you got one teentsy statement (bolded by me) backward. The thought you intended was surely something to the effect that watching a game on TV is nothing like watching a game in person.
Ahem,

Same difference. :cool:

Reaction Score
I lurked for YEARS.....but I figured I had to join if I was going to the FF this past season...you know, meet up with some of you guys. Rowdy is my 7 year old Golden Retriever and my avatar is of him the day we brought him home. He is a dork. He is unlike any of my other Goldens. He hates the car. He hates being outside. He has a high, screeching bark. He refuses to eat his kibble unless it is completely mixed with cottage cheese. He hates the water. He won't even walk out on the grass if it's wet. But he is kind to children and old ladies, so he's got that going for him.

Reaction Score
'lne' are my initials. '001' is my licensed to kill designation. Yes, I was the first and taught Jimmy (that's what his superiors called James), everything he knows.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ahem,

Same difference. :cool:

Not at all. Very different.

You could have nailed me for taking a quote out of context - I was guilty as hell of that.

When I bestowed my little "ahem" on poster Carnac, I began by praising his post as "superlative" and "enriching," then went on to note a "teentsy" error it contained.

He included a comment in his post that "watching a game live is nothing like watching it on TV." A casual reader might seize on this and believe that Carnac would actually prefer TV to attending a game - live and in person. However, reading of his entire post made it clear that he has a special zest for live action, not TV.

So I suggested that he might have more clearly expressed his real preference by saying "Watching a game on TV is nothing like watching it live."

Not a big deal, merely a teentsy suggestion in the interest of communication clarity.

Definitely not the "same difference." Actually, a big difference - but only when taken out of context.

Reaction Score
Love hoops and had nickname Hoppy since high school - many, many moons ago

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Lou Dobbs has always been my favorite commentator and . . . . . . . um, no, though that was suggested by some truly nasty person in a little forum name thread a few years back that discussed the real origins of the BY nicknames, as opposed to the spurious ones cited in this thread.

I've lived for two decades in a place most of the inhabitants call Dobbs, and I run (or rove). Originally did not have the 2, but a BY changeover from one host to another way back forced me to add a number to register, or so it seemed at the time.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I first read Tolkien's "The Hobbit" in the mid 60's and shortly after the trilogy. There was a website at one time, probably still around, that could generate either the elven, dwarf or hobbit equivalent of English names. Couldn't pronounce the elven or dwarvish names, but the hobbit equivalent seemed just right. Toadfoot is actually only a part of the full name, but the most "interesting" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom