OT: SMU/Virginia game..... | The Boneyard

OT: SMU/Virginia game.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched some of the UVA/SMU game and saw some nice players out there. SMU is a "decent" (for Crack) team for sure. Well coached obviously by Larry and some nice players, big men. The transfer from Nova-Kennedy is solid and a space eater and a couple other bigs have some decent game on the interior. Frazier is going to be a good one and the PG is solid if nothing else. That's not a bad AAC team right there.......

Virginia is solid too, play good D and have a few shooters. The kid Gill (tranfer from the Gamecocks) has a nice interior game and took over the last 7-8 minutes of the game.

Fun game to watch.......as a side note Steve Lappas did a nice job as color on the game, not great but he has improved dramatically!

Had to look up one of the assistants on the sideline that looked familiar for SMU - Eric Snow - Player Dev......much like Kevin Ollie right and actually may have played with him for Larry at Philly? Hung on a long time in the NBA with hard work.......Larry likes those guys.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Too bad SMU couldn't pull that one out. I didn't see the game but from the write-up, it sounds like they had a shot to win it with less than 10 seconds left but an SMU player was called for traveling.

Reaction Score
Too bad SMU couldn't pull that one out. I didn't see the game but from the write-up, it sounds like they had a shot to win it with less than 10 seconds left but an SMU player was called for traveling.

Yeah Larry actually called a bad time out, although he didn't know it at the time.......down 1 with about 10 seconds Frazier made a steal at half court off the dribble and brought it up, was stopped threw it to Kennedey at the foul line who saw 2 players open on each side of the lane near the basket and had a choice with 5 seconds left but Larry had called a TO when he got the ball.......too bad they could have won it........but they're decent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah Larry actually called a bad time out, although he didn't know it at the time.......down 1 with about 10 seconds Frazier made a steal at half court off the dribble and brought it up, was stopped threw it to Kennedey at the foul line who saw 2 players open on each side of the lane near the basket and had a choice with 5 seconds left but Larry had called a TO when he got the ball.......too bad they could have won it........but they're decent.
And the important thing is the conference has some decent teams to make a statement this year and next. That is critical for UConn's future success.

Reaction Score
Brown loved Snow... He was essentially the PG w/ AI for those "good" Philly teams in the late 90s/early 00s and would guard all the good 2gs.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been touting the competition in conference, I have to say I'm underwhelmned by the performance so far except for SMU and Cincy. I think SMU is going to be among the top 3. Cincy looks like Cincy. But Memphis, Temple and Houston are underperforming. I'm a little surprised. UCF has a nice victory over Miami, but they don't look anywhere near as good as last year. Be prepared for the influx of Tulane, Tulsa and East Carolina badness for next year. Ugh. Unless Larry Brown stays at SMU, I don't see a single other formidable team than Cincy.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been touting the competition in conference, I have to say I'm underwhelmned by the performance so far except for SMU and Cincy. I think SMU is going to be among the top 3. Cincy looks like Cincy. But Memphis, Temple and Houston are underperforming. I'm a little surprised. UCF has a nice victory over Miami, but they don't look anywhere near as good as last year. Be prepared for the influx of Tulane, Tulsa and East Carolina badness for next year. Ugh. Unless Larry Brown stays at SMU, I don't see a single other formidable team than Cincy.
Did you say Cinci is formidable?

Reaction Score
Did you say Cinci is formidable?

Yes. Have you watched them? They are.

They have Xavier, Pitt and New Mexico coming up.... so we'll see how good they are.

Reaction Score
Yes. Have you watched them? They are.

They have Xavier, Pitt and New Mexico coming up.... so we'll see how good they are.

They are Cincy still but I agree they look improved and very athletic and long.......play hard and rebound hard! And they have the utmost experience and leadership in their "7th" year swing Kilpatrick!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Unfortunately it is a matter of time before he becomes bored with the job. I'll be surprised if he lasts the 2014-2015 season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think Brown signed up to be in the AAC either. My guess is his agent has already circulated his name for BE or P5 jobs. Or it is possible his agent was already told that no one else wants a 70+ year old coach.

Too bad, because he is a very good coach. While there is not much talent, SMU looks like a well coached team. Good shot selection, hustle on defense, good substitutions.

Reaction Score
I don't think Brown signed up to be in the AAC either. My guess is his agent has already circulated his name for BE or P5 jobs. Or it is possible his agent was already told that no one else wants a 70+ year old coach.

Too bad, because he is a very good coach. While there is not much talent, SMU looks like a well coached team. Good shot selection, hustle on defense, good substitutions.

Not much talent, eh? The kid Frazier was a top 10 recruit, higher ranked than anyone in the BE. Lots of top JUCOs as well.

Reaction Score
That Detroit team that we could have beaten by 80 if KO hadnt called off the dogs, well they beat USF tonite. Wow.

Reaction Score
That Detroit team that we could have beaten by 80 if KO hadnt called off the dogs, well they beat USF tonite. Wow.

I think the Huskies played their A game on offense for sure that night vs Detroit after falling behind 17-13 ..... once they turned it on that night it never went off. Everyone was involved.......and Detroit seemed to bail early!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom