OT: Skins | The Boneyard

OT: Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since everyone is praising Shanahan for his wonderful reverse psychology pep talk when they were 2-6 I hope someone steps up and let's everyone know he blew the game for the Skins today......after the 14-0 lead it was apparent they had a QB who was 50% at best and the obvious answer was Cousins......at least the 2nd half but he didn't and he rode the back of his one-legged star to a loss........nice job Mike!!

Reaction Score
besides the fact that were playing him at all considering it was obvious he did more damage to his knee when it buckled in the 1st half, it was mind boggling the play calls they were running, bootlegs, options, and a heavy dose of passing when it was clear he couldn't get his legs into his throws. Shanahan tried to set that franchise back by potentially blowing RG3's knee out.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How do you take out RGIII? That would have been beyond ballzy. But yeah, RG III was pretty putrid in the second half and clearly on the downslide. (I missed the 1st half). And when he zigged and his leg zagged I think Shanny vomited in his mouth.

Reaction Score
How do you take out RGIII? That would have been beyond ballzy. But yeah, RG III was pretty putrid in the second half and clearly on the downslide. (I missed the 1st half). And when he zigged and his leg zagged I think Shanny vomited in his mouth.

Because he was clearly playing on one leg and he's your franchise? Besides the fact that he was ineffective in this game you have to think about the future.

Reaction Score
Shannahan ran too much of the option, it might work out well in the short term, it doesnt work to well for RG3 long term in terms of his long term health and doesnt help him become a better qb. RG3 is a stud but he doesnt do a very good job of reading defenses because all he has done is run the option.

Dr. James Andrews was telling RG3 and the Redskins organization to not play RG3 and they go ahead and play him anyways.

Reaction Score
[quote=" RG3 is a stud but he doesnt do a very good job of reading defenses because all he has done is run the option.[/quote]

Shanahan is still living off of Elway and TD. RG3 is a talent, but you aint winning a superbowl with that type of QB. He's Tebow with a better arm. He can't read defenses well enough to stay in the pocket, and he'll never stay healthy enough to stay on the field.

Reaction Score
He never should have played in that game and once Shanahan decided to play him it was clear RGIII should have been taken out after the second series of the game. Shanahan should get blasted for this decision.

Reaction Score
[quote=" RG3 is a stud but he doesnt do a very good job of reading defenses because all he has done is run the option.

Shanahan is still living off of Elway and TD. RG3 is a talent, but you aint winning a superbowl with that type of QB. He's Tebow with a better arm. He can't read defenses well enough to stay in the pocket, and he'll never stay healthy enough to stay on the field.[/quote]

Awful comparison

Reaction Score
Because he was clearly playing on one leg and he's your franchise? Besides the fact that he was ineffective in this game you have to think about the future.
Glad I am not the only one who sees it that clearly.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Shanahan was an idiot for keeping him out there. Now, he may miss some time next year because of it.

Reaction Score
Shanahan was an idiot for keeping him out there. Now, he may miss some time next year because of it.

When the best sports Dr and perhaps the world is telling you not to play RG3, you should probably listen to his advice and Kirk Cousins showed he could do the job. If this were the superbowl its one thing, or a legit superbowl contender.

Reaction Score

The biggest idiot in all of this in Daniel Snyder, he chose to risk the teams future and sacrifice RG3 rookie season.

Reaction Score
If it was up to me, Griffin would have sat in the 2nd half. I know it's the playoffs and a must win game, but I also want the guy available for next year.

As far as the "Griffin didn't want to come out" argument, that's why you have a head coach and medical staff. Pedro Martinez thought he could still do the job in the 2003 ALCS, too, but a competent manager would have taken him out.

On the other hand, there seems to be a stigma with the NFL if a player leaves a game "too early" due to injury. Cutler tweaked his knee in a playoff game 1 or 2 years ago, was benched and got blasted because he didn't get back on the field. Tomlinson was criticized for sitting out a playoff game in New England with a knee injury, while Rivers gets praised for playing that game with a torn ACL.

I think Griffin III is viewed more favorably than Cutler, but he'd still get heat from some people if he was shut down earlier in the game.

Reaction Score
You don't take chances with a franchise player. He wasn't effective anyway in the second half so I don't know what Shanahan was thinking. Don't even ask the player how they feel because they will lie. This is why baseball managers pull a pitcher on the way to the mound so they don't get talked out of removing him.
There seems to be a trend of sprint out QBs who can run some form of the option but that trend will end as soon as some stars start going down. Vick is a perfect example.

Reaction Score
If it was up to me, Griffin would have sat in the 2nd half. I know it's the playoffs and a must win game, but I also want the guy available for next year.

As far as the "Griffin didn't want to come out" argument, that's why you have a head coach and medical staff. Pedro Martinez thought he could still do the job in the 2003 ALCS, too, but a competent manager would have taken him out.

On the other hand, there seems to be a stigma with the NFL if a player leaves a game "too early" due to injury. Cutler tweaked his knee in a playoff game 1 or 2 years ago, was benched and got blasted because he didn't get back on the field. Tomlinson was criticized for sitting out a playoff game in New England with a knee injury, while Rivers gets praised for playing that game with a torn ACL.

I think Griffin III is viewed more favorably than Cutler, but he'd still get heat from some people if he was shut down earlier in the game.

Thats what they were talking about on NFL Network. Those examples are somewhat different because a superbowl was on the line, and they were during the game. I had said all year long that Shannahan ran too much of the pistol offense about 90 percent of the time its not good for RG3 long term and doesn't help him develop more as a qb. You look at the seahawks they run the pistol offense about 30 percent of the time and their coaching does a better job of developing Wilson and protecting him. I hope RG3 is ok but im afraid Shannahan will run him into the ground and this is only his rookie season. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom