OT - Sixers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Sixers

Reaction Score
I would have offered Nets 2018, Brown/Crowder and Smart\Rozier for Butler.

Like that a lot and still keep shot @ Fultz.
That the Celtics didn't deal makes me more optimistic on JBrown. Still not sure what he can become, wide floor ceiling right now between solid starter and borderline all-star.

I doubt the Bulls would have done Crowder/Rozier & the 2018, likewise if I were Celtics I wouldn't do the Brown/Smart combo as its giving up all of talented youth. Going to be lots of "I told you so's" if recent offensive woes continue as teams aren't letting Isaiah alone beat them anymore.

Reaction Score
I would rather keep Crowder than Brown at this point, but who knows how good Brown will be.

Bigger question will be, if C's get Fultz as he plays next year with IT and Smart what next. IT looking for max $$, Smart almost up.

They have to act like the Pats and let IT walk if necessary.

That the Celtics didn't deal makes me more optimistic on JBrown. Still not sure what he can become, wide floor ceiling right now between solid starter and borderline all-star.

I doubt the Bulls would have done Crowder/Rozier & the 2018, likewise if I were Celtics I wouldn't do the Brown/Smart combo as its giving up all of talented youth. Going to be lots of "I told you so's" if recent offensive woes continue as teams aren't letting Isaiah alone beat them anymore.

Reaction Score
UPDATE!
Dateline Philly:
Anyone see the video of Jahil Okafor literally standing listlessly under the basket not even lifting his arms to contest shots or grab a rebound?!
Joel Embid done for year - 3rd year in a row. I'm sure Stockholm crowd say like Noel, still a good pick. Try this; Who could you trade Embid for today and would you do it? The answer is not much (either a draft pick or less than the one year rental return like Sacto got for Boogie) and you wouldn't trade him b/c his injury history and status wouldn't let you get 'full value'. Embid is still a potential franchise changing superstar that is worth much more to Philly than anyone else (esp cuz they can still lock him up long-term).

I'd counter that Embid's actual value is his current trade value, you still suck and you should consider trading him now (for draft picks, sure) while the 31 games are fresh in mind. In 3 seasons Embid has played in 12.6% of games - great pick! ONE yr left on his rookie contract to get max of 30% of their games over the 4 years if he optimistically plays 70 in 17-18. Trust the process and trade him now.

Trade Simmons too since his injury, work ethic and attitude are questionable, Drafting Simmons wasn't a mistake and didn't initially fit into the flawed Noel/Embid plan to not care about basketball players being able to play basketball. But now Simmons does and you can't risk 2 guys that might be career injury casualties - if Embid is 50-50 (wildly optimistic) to be healthy and Simmons is even 90-10 you still only have a 45% chance of both being healthy. Better to trade for picks and re-draft healthy & young. Sure Saric is good but he's only 22 so now's the time to accumulate assets for 2019-20 season & beyond.

Who says no if Danny Ainge offers the 2017-18 Net's #1s for Embid and Simmons ?!

Sadly it seems like if the Sixers extend Embid before next year it is more likely Embid becomes another cautionary injury tale. Hope I'm wrong on that cuz he is great.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Who says no if Danny Ainge offers the 2017-18 Net's #1s for Embid and Simmons ?!

I'm curious to see if WhartonHusky would turn that down.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to see if WhartonHusky would turn that down.

76ers say no without blinking.

@Dogdeacon why does it bother you so much that 76ers fans are happy with the direction of the franchise?

They are in very good shape for the future. I hated what they did to get there, but to downplay the current circumstance is strange to me.

Reaction Score
76ers say no without blinking.

@Dogdeacon why does it bother you so much that 76ers fans are happy with the direction of the franchise?

They are in very good shape for the future. I hated what they did to get there, but to downplay the current circumstance is strange to me.
Generally I just find it unfathomable, perplexing to accept losing - I'm competitive and don't understand how anyone in sports or watching sports can not care about results. The facts are so blatantly obvious from my perspective that I feel the preponderance of evidence at some point has to educate a different opinion or interpretation.

Secondly I think it is a travesty for the league and competition for teams to purposefully suck. Other teams can only vote 2-3 times per year with attendance or ticket buys to change this outcome, so I honestly feel there is an obligation for basketball fans to get Sixers fans to hold their team accountable for the results. Otherwise we all keep getting the negative of non-competitive games.

Celtics resurgence would be a lot more fun if rivals were historic, NY & Philly. I want more games like last night's vs Cleveland. I'm psyched with the Wizards pickup & Raptors, East is still likely a foregone Cleveland conclusion but it really makes it more fun to have 3 teams legitimately knocking on door and that will make eastern playoffs interesting for first time since probably 2012. Sixers/Knicks dumb owners are a problem.

Reaction Score
Generally I just find it unfathomable, perplexing to accept losing - I'm competitive and don't understand how anyone in sports or watching sports can not care about results. The facts are so blatantly obvious from my perspective that I feel the preponderance of evidence at some point has to educate a different opinion or interpretation.

Secondly I think it is a travesty for the league and competition for teams to purposefully suck. Other teams can only vote 2-3 times per year with attendance or ticket buys to change this outcome, so I honestly feel there is an obligation for basketball fans to get Sixers fans to hold their team accountable for the results. Otherwise we all keep getting the negative of non-competitive games.

Celtics resurgence would be a lot more fun if rivals were historic, NY & Philly. I want more games like last night's vs Cleveland. I'm psyched with the Wizards pickup & Raptors, East is still likely a foregone Cleveland conclusion but it really makes it more fun to have 3 teams legitimately knocking on door and that will make eastern playoffs interesting for first time since probably 2012. Sixers/Knicks dumb owners are a problem.

Well are very close to being on the same page. I was happy Hinkie was forced out. I just think their future is promising.

Reaction Score

I think it's certainly reasonable to accept SOME losing after your front office screws your team into oblivion and you clean house and replace.

I think what you don't understand is that the 76ers WERE winning. Their goal was not to win NBA games, but to get assets so that they could win NBA championships in the future, and in that regard losing actually HELPED. If you adopt that mindset, then it's easier to accept the court results. The 76ers won essentially every trade they made during the tanking period, too.

In addition, you must look beyond results-oriented thinking and understand that the 76ers used the most reliable legal method they could to succeed in the longterm starting where they were in the aftermath of the unspeakably bad Bynum trade. They would have been bad for 5-10 years regardless. They had no clear avenues to improve their team to contend in the future. But the method Hinkie employed doesn't guarantee success, only makes it more likely. It was the right method. Will they succeed in the future? They're certainly in a really good spot. I think they'll win go to a conference finals within 4 years.

The comparison to Boston is unfair because Boston started at a championship caliber team level with assets other teams wanted. Ainge did a terrific job and was able to parlay those assets in an almost unparalleled fashion to rebuild quickly. The Brooklyn trade is one of the greatest trades of all time. Both franchises are in the top 5 of "teams best positioned to win a title 3-5 years from now"

Reaction Score
Chris Mannix on the current state of the 76ers.

LINK

I couldn't have said it any better. I match his opinion to a T, even the bit about doing a full 180.

That Hinkie. I’ve done a 180-degree turn on Hinkie. For years I joined the chorus hammering the former general manager and president of basketball operations of the 76ers for showing no interest in winning. I traveled to Philadelphia and sat through midseason games where at times the media came laughably close to outnumbering the fans in the building. I watched Hinkie roll out rosters headlined by Hollis Thompson, Jerami Grant and Tony Wroten, and wondered how the NBA could let Hinkie get away with it.

Nearly four years after Hinkie was hired and you wonder: Does anyone in Philadelphia regret the era? Three straight sub-20 win seasons were painful, and watching Hinkie trade away established talent (Evan Turner, Michael Carter-Williams, etc.) for draft picks was worse. But here are the Sixers, exactly where Hinkie hoped they would be, loaded with elite young talent and primed to be the heir to a post-LeBron James conference throne.

Reaction Score
And I still could not disagree more. On Hinkie it is done, whether 'the process' cult still has believers or adherents remains relevant but clearly no one is going to try exactly what he did b/c its suicide. He got fired and to this point is a pariah.

And that's why I also don't buy in. How is this different from a company selling at a massive loss to gain market share and then declaring them a winner even before they've made a profit from the market share? You cannot discount the loss of $, reputation etc, THEN they have to succeed (WIN) before declaring success and its still 50-50 to occur. In that situation its not worth it if the profits don't outweigh the losses by math - here its more subjective, but I'd still apply the math of wins-losses, track attendance & create some measurable playoff barometer.
I maintain that 5 years of losing isn't worth it UNTIL you win and even then its a Faustian bargain.
A. Very difficult to redirect to a winning culture (Jury absolutely still out, + cleaning house of coaches/GM seems necessary)
B. Have to be LUCKY in the draft and draft exceedingly well and this is still inexact science. Simply put you are sacrificing seasons & committing all resources to a process that by its very definition is massively uncertain (lottery balls and pick success)
C. They've inexplicably frocked themselves with the injured player drafting compounding the risks. Noel has already yielded next-to-nothing and Embid return paltry to this point. Going forward it pretty much all hinges on Embid (title contention wise) and to assume its a success cuz he looked phenomenal in 31 games but then got hurt again is ignoring RESULTS for intangible non-facts.

Reaction Score
And I still could not disagree more. On Hinkie it is done, whether 'the process' cult still has believers or adherents remains relevant but clearly no one is going to try exactly what he did b/c its suicide. He got fired and to this point is a pariah.

And that's why I also don't buy in. How is this different from a company selling at a massive loss to gain market share and then declaring them a winner even before they've made a profit from the market share? You cannot discount the loss of $, reputation etc, THEN they have to succeed (WIN) before declaring success and its still 50-50 to occur. In that situation its not worth it if the profits don't outweigh the losses by math - here its more subjective, but I'd still apply the math of wins-losses, track attendance & create some measurable playoff barometer.
I maintain that 5 years of losing isn't worth it UNTIL you win and even then its a Faustian bargain.
A. Very difficult to redirect to a winning culture (Jury absolutely still out, + cleaning house of coaches/GM seems necessary)
B. Have to be LUCKY in the draft and draft exceedingly well and this is still inexact science. Simply put you are sacrificing seasons & committing all resources to a process that by its very definition is massively uncertain (lottery balls and pick success)
C. They've inexplicably frocked themselves with the injured player drafting compounding the risks. Noel has already yielded next-to-nothing and Embid return paltry to this point. Going forward it pretty much all hinges on Embid (title contention wise) and to assume its a success cuz he looked phenomenal in 31 games but then got hurt again is ignoring RESULTS for intangible non-facts.

He was fired incorrectly. Ownership said they'd follow through, then didn't. It was cowardly and dumb. If the Sixers win a title within 5 years, he'll be vindicated and someone will do it again if system is not changed.

Feel free to create a metric to measure how bad they were to compare to how good they are in the future, but remember they were going to be bad either way during this timeframe, so you need to look at how much marginally worse they were. The goal from ownership was winning a championship, so the ideal metric is championship equity gained. How much more likely are they to win a championship at this point of the rebuild then if they didn't make the moves he made compared to how much marginally worse they were. The reason people call it a success already is because it seems any other method would not have yielded as much equity.

A. This is overblown. The Thunder lost a bajillion games with Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka the first few years, then doubled their win total to 50 games the next season. I' d wager the 76ers are probably a year or so away from that turnaround, depending on Simmons. The accumulation of talent following the next 2 drafts will be considerable.
B. Yes, you have to be lucky in the draft, but it's still the best way to get a superstar, especially with the new CBA and the new veteran player exception. One of Hinkie's main tenets is that because it's luck-based, you need as many whacks at the golden goose as possible. That's why you accumulate as many draft picks as possible. That's why he flipped MCW (rookie of the year, but they saw he wasn't elite and not on the right timeline) for a high value draft pick that could convey at #4 overall this year.
C. I have no problem with the risks. They were calculated. In both instances, they took the consensus top player in the draft at the #3 and #6 slot. You don't get a lot of superstars at #6, so it makes total sense to swing there. The Saric pick was also perfect, as it allowed them to be worse short-term and was big value outside top 10. I'm not sure why you're even measuring Embiid's past return. Buddy Hield went #3 last year and is rated as one of the worst players in the league, but still just got traded for Demarcus Cousins. It makes no sense to measure current return for first few year players.
D. Nothing is guaranteed, but it does not all hinge on Embiid. It hinges on Embiid, and Saric, and Simmons (remember him?), and the top 3 pick (possibly 2 top 5) they have this year and the presumably top 5 pick from the Kings in 2019. They have essentially 6 more chances for 1 of those guys to be a legit superstar, but they've got enough talent now that the snowball is rolling and they'll win more games the next few years.

Reaction Score
And that's why I also don't buy in. How is this different from a company selling at a massive loss to gain market share and then declaring them a winner even before they've made a profit from the market share?

Sounds like Uber.

Reaction Score
Hinkie was only fired incorrectly IF you accept the 4 years and counting of losing as cost of doing business. He didn't set this expectation out specifically upfront and paid the price for it. It is a tautology to keep doubling down on losses and re-mortgage present for future, you HAVE to have a specific plan and measurable success. Speaking of which "championship equity gained" is a giant ball of air and clearly not measurable. Total BS. Give me specific losses-wins should be greater than 1-1 AND minimum playoff measurement goal - say make Eastern Conference finals by 2020 or this is a bust. Even Philly fans won't commit to a timeframe or measurable because they are stuck in the vortex of delusion that all of the losing pays off.

You are not sure why and debunk measuring Embid's return specifically because of the delusion. You have to constantly evaluate a players performance & value and to ignore health is on spectrum of risky-to-wrong. I simply value and like basketball players and teams that win and play in competitive games, its that freakin' simple.

Reaction Score
Even if you disagree with what he was doing, there isn't much denying that he was a competent executive. He consistently won trades. There are quite a bit of teams who have far worse GMs. I'm confident he will be redeemed and end up somewhere else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom