OT: Serena's Outburst | The Boneyard

OT: Serena's Outburst

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Although I don't usually post off-topic, I am fascinated and a little dismayed by Serena's latest outburst.

She is, for the most part, an exceedingly charming and refreshing young woman, with a superb game.

But when she loses it, she reverts to what my pupils in the Bronx refer to as "ghetto", or "gangsta"
behavior, clearly racially-based, totally illogical, and really unfortunate in a woman otherwise so accomplished.

It makes me think of the wonderful lines in South Pacific:

"You have to be taught to hate and fear,
....before you are six, or seven or eight
you have to be carefully taught."

Reaction Score
It's impossible not to notice that, despite the deeply felt convictions of Rodgers and Hammerstein in this matter, the song stands out as a clunker in the musical. Proselytizing in art can produce unartful results.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm intrigued that people (perhaps defenders of Serena) point to John Mc. and Jimmy C's behaviors, claiming a double standard. Straw man, seems to me, since they behaved as they did a looooong time ago.

Can anyone point to any player -- man or woman -- who gets away with the stuff Jimmy and John pulled? No. Acceptable behavior standards have changed. If you can't abide by them, you get fined.

I keep wanting to like Serena, and find I don't much. Venus is more personable, to my taste.

Reaction Score
Shallow....never developed an interest in her, her game or her behavior. Unfortunate, because she excells at the sport, does little for it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Although I don't usually post off-topic, I am fascinated and a little dismayed by Serena's latest outburst.

She is, for the most part, an exceedingly charming and refreshing young woman, with a superb game.

But when she loses it, she reverts to what my pupils in the Bronx refer to as "ghetto", or "gangsta"
behavior, clearly racially-based, totally illogical, and really unfortunate in a woman otherwise so accomplished.

It makes me think of the wonderful lines in South Pacific:

"You have to be taught to hate and fear,
....before you are six, or seven or eight
you have to be carefully taught."

'roids have side effects. As does their father's lunacy, and growing up in a crime ridden neighborhood in LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom