OT: Serena's match begins 9:00 a.m. EDT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Serena's match begins 9:00 a.m. EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
How about those poses with the trophy??? LOL. She is such a kid :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Serena loves the camera!

It was always Serena's to win or lose. I predicted a score of 6-1, 6-2...I just didn't anticipate the 5-7 set in between. After all that she has been through it is no surprise that she could get tight like she did in the second set. And the older she gets the more important these moments are to her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Boo hiss. Oh well she's a good player and played a great match. Bummer to see her win though. :(

That double breasted warm up jacket? Really? And people wonder why others don't like her and think she's an obnoxious %&*%$#&. :mad:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Of course my ESPN service from Verizon had a long hiccup during match point (!!!!!), depriving me of seeing how Serena won the match except for the first two shots of the rally.

On replay later I saw AR slicing the backhand low a couple of times, and Serena responded with some deep groundies, finally capitalizing with a great grass-court shot: a low, net-hugging inside-out backhand from inside the baseline, angled off beautifully. A much tougher shot than how she made it look. She got low almost as well as AR did on that one.

A fitting way to win the match!

P.S. On that *incredible* crosscourt backhand that she made, with a seemingly impossible angle, I would bet that she caught the ball a tad high on the racquet face. At least that's how it appeared to me on the one (and only one) replay that I saw. As long as you don't get too close to the top of the frame, you'll get a little extra spin and more importantly the ball will come off with significantly less pace than it will closer to the sweetspot.

But it's also possible that she caught it square, which would be scary.... :eek:

I haven't seen a shot angled like that since the days of Johnny Mac.

Reaction Score
A bunch of players wear jackets or sweaters at Wimbledon. When Federer was at his peak, he always wore his monogrammed sweater to his matches.

After the past two years Serena's gone through, this is an amazing win. I'm so proud of her!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Boo hiss. Oh well she's a good player and played a great match. Bummer to see her win though. :(

That double breasted warm up jacket? Really? And people wonder why others don't like her and think she's an obnoxious %&*%$#&. :mad:

A double breasted warm up jacket is an indicator of obnoxious behavior??

Reaction Score
Let's be happy she didn't show up with an outfit like this!

3_1.jpg

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Serena's best tennis is better than any woman who's ever played. Her consistency, which was reflected even in this one match, is why I'd have her behind Graf and Navratilova.

I was able to watch only the first two sets as I had to leave for an appointment, and was really surprised how Serena let that second set go, although kudos goes to her opponant whom I really liked because she mixed it up during play going to the net when the opportunity presented itself instead of being stapled behind the back line. I agree that Serena is an amazing athlete. Her strength and how she is able to harnass it into the game of tennis is so admirable. I am happy for her win and wish her well in the upcoming doubles match and then Olympics. Hope she likes bubble and squeak - she is going to be in Britain for a while this month! :)

Reaction Score

WOW! Tell us how you really feel.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Meeooowwww!!!! Did she piss in your Cheerios or something?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Of course my ESPN service from Verizon had a long hiccup during match point (!!!!!), depriving me of seeing how Serena won the match except for the first two shots of the rally.

On replay later I saw AR slicing the backhand low a couple of times, and Serena responded with some deep groundies, finally capitalizing with a great grass-court shot: a low, net-hugging inside-out backhand from inside the baseline, angled off beautifully. A much tougher shot than how she made it look. She got low almost as well as AR did on that one.

A fitting way to win the match!

P.S. On that *incredible* crosscourt backhand that she made, with a seemingly impossible angle, I would bet that she caught the ball a tad high on the racquet face. At least that's how it appeared to me on the one (and only one) replay that I saw. As long as you don't get too close to the top of the frame, you'll get a little extra spin and more importantly the ball will come off with significantly less pace than it will closer to the sweetspot.

But it's also possible that she caught it square, which would be scary.... :eek:

I haven't seen a shot angled like that since the days of Johnny Mac.

Seles could hit some pretty mean angles before the stabbing but never seemed to have the same angles after,

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meeooowwww!!!! Did she piss in your Cheerios or something?

No, but given the chance I'm sure she would have. ;)

No, just never liked her or her sister, and her obnoxiousness today didn't help.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A double breasted warm up jacket is an indicator of obnoxious behavior??

Oh yea. Definitely. Pompous too.

Well, I find pompous behavior obnoxious. So.....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Oh yea. Definitely. Pompous too.

Well, I find pompous behavior obnoxious. So.....

I can only assume you don't like Federer then. How long ago was it that he donned the white dinner jacket look when coming onto court?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can only assume you don't like Federer then. How long ago was it that he donned the white dinner jacket look when coming onto court?

Didn't see it. But I really don't care about Federer one way or the other. Haven't had a real like or dislike in men's tennis in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom