OT: Serena in the Final | The Boneyard

OT: Serena in the Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Even when Serena is playing well, you don't often see a match where one player dictates play so strongly. Tonight, a huge % of the points seemed to be decided by Serena either hitting an outright winner or an unforced error. She was the aggressor pretty much from start to finish. Woz looked like an understudy, not the #1 ranked player! I think she had only 3 winners the entire match.

Hopefully her toe/foot won't bother Serena tomorrow - she has to get back out there on a quick turnaround at 4:00 p.m. Lord knows she has really had a tough road with this injury .. it would be awesome to see her get the W. Look for an extremely emotional Serena if she does win it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
She played great tonight and exposed Wozniacki for what she is. She's only the #1 players because Serena, Venus and others have been injured this year.

She's won minor tournaments to get the #1 ranking and will probably retain it for the rest of the year. Hard to believe a player can be ranked #1 without winning a major championship.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She played great tonight and exposed Wozniacki for what she is. She's only the #1 players because Serena, Venus and others have been injured this year.

She's won minor tournaments to get the #1 ranking and will probably retain it for the rest of the year. Hard to believe a player can be ranked #1 without winning a major championship.
true, but i don't think Venus will ever get close to #1 again. the only other player really is Clijsters. and as much as i hate her grunting screams, Azarenka will be up there for a long time too.

it was a really good open for the Americans, except for the Bryan brothers who lost in the first round. Sock and Oudin won the mixed doubles and both the men and women had young americans do quite well.

by the way i hope this thread is not moved. there are several other OT threads that aren't even sports related and are allowed to sit on the board. i can't see why a tennis thread should be moved.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wozniacki's been #1 for a while now. She's been healthy and consistent. But everyone could see this coming a mile away. Serena is starving for another major and has way too big a game to be stopped by CW. CW has Martina Hingis's defense without any of her shot-making. I could see her winning a mojor at some point, but she'll never be an historically great player.

I hope Serena curb stomps Stosur tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about her foot on such short rest, but Serena will play on that foot until it falls off of her, even if she could never play again as a result. It took her a long time to reach this point, but she would do anything to win. Just look at the pain she played through in the 2010 Aussie Open. She's desperate to build on her legacy. Imagine if she'd had Steffi Graf's focus her entire career.

Reaction Score
Wozniacki's been #1 for a while now. She's been healthy and consistent. But everyone could see this coming a mile away. Serena is starving for another major and has way too big a game to be stopped by CW. CW has Martina Hingis's defense without any of her shot-making. I could see her winning a mojor at some point, but she'll never be an historically great player.

I hope Serena curb stomps Stosur tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about her foot on such short rest, but Serena will play on that foot until it falls off of her, even if she could never play again as a result. It took her a long time to reach this point, but she would do anything to win. Just look at the pain she played through in the 2010 Aussie Open. She's desperate to build on her legacy. Imagine if she'd had Steffi Graf's focus her entire career.

Imagine if Serena had had Steffi Graf's opponents her entire career.

Reaction Score
The results of the championship final speak for themself. Congratulations to Sam Stosser. She played well, deserved the win and the Aussies can justfiably be proud.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Serena had had Steffi Graf's opponents her entire career.

Imagine is Steffi didn't lose her top rival to a vicious stabbing. It wouldn't of mattered how focused she would have been, Monica would have slaughtered her for the rest of her career.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wosniacki is kind of like a femal Lendl. It took him forever to finally win a major (and was #1 for nearly two years by the time he finally won his first IIRC).

Steffi was likely as talented as any female tennis player ever. She was pushed too hard from too young of an age by her father and appeared to have lost her killer instinct by the time she should have been reaching her prime.

Serena is clearly an alltime great but I'm still convinced that Venus could have been better if she had more than just her kid sister as competition.

Reaction Score
If you don't care about tennis like me I want to see Wosniacki out there who cares about the winner or #1??:cool:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Personally, I'd like to see serious drug testing in pro tennis. I believe steroid use is as rampant in the sport as it is in other sports.

Wosniacki is kind of like a femal Lendl. It took him forever to finally win a major (and was #1 for nearly two years by the time he finally won his first IIRC).

Steffi was likely as talented as any female tennis player ever. She was pushed too hard from too young of an age by her father and appeared to have lost her killer instinct by the time she should have been reaching her prime.

Serena is clearly an alltime great but I'm still convinced that Venus could have been better if she had more than just her kid sister as competition.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Imagine is Steffi didn't lose her top rival to a vicious stabbing. It wouldn't of mattered how focused she would have been, Monica would have slaughtered her for the rest of her career.

I'm surprised by how many people forget that, Dawson. At that time, Seles could have spotted Graf a set a match and still would have pounded her every time.

And the guy got away scott-free! A disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom