OT: Serena in a battle at the French | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Serena in a battle at the French

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
bro... she kicked a* , hopefully she steamroll thru the finals

Yes, when I have a rooting interest, it is better for my nerves that my rooting interest not be closely challenged. However, being a fan of the game, and of its popularity, longevity, viability, what have you, one has to embrace competition, drama, compelling storylines, and the physical and mental battles. None of that was evident which, at the semifinal level, is a bit disconcerting. And, like you, I get the feeling, there will be little drama in Saturday's final.
To this day, I cannot figure out how a 17 year old Sharapova was able to beat Serena at Wimbledon in 2004; At a time when Serena was indomitable. A couple of months later, Serena gets robbed in the US Open against Capriati. Serena, right now, is every bit as good as she was 10 years ago. That really is the story. Tennis has become a young woman's game, and Serena is defying Father Time, Mother Nature, and any and all comers.

Reaction Score
That looked like a pro against a junior player today. What does that say about women's tennis that the gap between 1 and 5 is that big? Maybe Stefi or Martina should un-retire.

IMO, Ms Graf at her best has a chance in today's game. Martina's serve and volley, little girl game has very little chance. She would be eaten alive coming to the net as often as she does/did.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yes, when I have a rooting interest, it is better for my nerves that my rooting interest not be closely challenged. However, being a fan of the game, and of its popularity, longevity, viability, what have you, one has to embrace competition, drama, compelling storylines, and the physical and mental battles. None of that was evident which, at the semifinal level, is a bit disconcerting. And, like you, I get the feeling, there will be little drama in Saturday's final.
To this day, I cannot figure out how a 17 year old Sharapova was able to beat Serena at Wimbledon in 2004; At a time when Serena was indomitable. A couple of months later, Serena gets robbed in the US Open against Capriati. Serena, right now, is every bit as good as she was 10 years ago. That really is the story. Tennis has become a young woman's game, and Serena is defying Father Time, Mother Nature, and any and all comers.

And speaking of defying Father Time, I'm giving a shout out to 35 year old Tommy Hass for making the quarters and playing well vs Novak in that round.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
IMO, Ms Graf at her best has a chance in today's game. Martina's serve and volley, little girl game has very little chance. She would be eaten alive coming to the net as often as she does/did.

Somehow, characterizing Ms.Martina's game as "little girl" seems a bit off.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One might also make the case that serve and volley tennis is intrinsically just as sound as the current baseline game, just a change in style now in favor.

Reaction Score
Somehow, characterizing Ms.Martina's game as "little girl" seems a bit off.

I cannot take credit for characterizing Ms Navratilova's game as little girl tennis. Mary Carillo is the first person I heard use the term 'big babe tennis'' to describe how hard today's women are hitting the ball. It may also have been Ms Carillo who used the term "little girl tennis" to describe Martina Hingis' game back in 2001 when she got thrashed by serena in the US Open semifinals on the way to the first all Williams grand slam final. However, considering how hard today's players are now hitting the ball, there is no other way to describe how players like Austin, Evert, Navratilova, et al hit the ball. Maybe it could be said that they did not hit the ball as hard.

One might also make the case that serve and volley tennis is intrinsically just as sound as the current baseline game, just a change in style now in favor.

Absolutely nothing wrong with serve and volley. I used to love McEnroe's game; short points, deft touch. Martina, as well. But, players today seem much more adept at the passing shot. My point with Martina's serve and volley game is that it was not combined with a lot of power. As we saw with yesterdays' game against Errani, Serena could just tee off on the low velocity serves. I am not sure which announcer said it, but it was described as batting practice.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One has to consider the new equipment and approach to hitting.
Martina was a power serve and volleyer, much different from Martina Hingis who more resembles Ms. Errani but was much more skillful.
if you want power tennis and a net game, consider Pancho Gonzales
Monster power game (for his time) and magnificent serve and volleyer as well as returner.
I still remember him beating Anderson, Hoad, Laver, and Rosewall in successive evenings in White Plains under awful conditions back in the 60's, down a set or more every evening.
Drove down from West Point with Bitsy Harrison, a ranked player and coach of the cadet team.
He couldn't believe his eyes either.
Serena's domination is similar.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Much of the loss of serve and volley today is the result of changes in equipment. The larger head racquets with bigger sweet spots and more return of energy into the ball has allowed a style of play of play with bigger swings and more emphasis on power and more control on passing shots. Some originally thought these changes would unfairly favor the serve and volley when they emerged. The opposite occurred as the power and control of baseline shots emerged. A lot of cases of tennis elbow resulted from the shock and vibration in those early metal racquets as they transmitted energy up the arm.

We are a long way from the day of MacGregor Budge Tournament, Dunlop Maxply, Wilson Jack Kramer, Slazenger Challenger, or even the original trampoline strung Wilson T2000 metal racquet. When was the last time you saw a racquet press?

Trivia question. Who was the last player to win Wimbledon with a wood racquet and the year? What model was it?

Related question: the same trio of questions for the first major won with a metal racquet? Hint: It is a long forgotten Spalding racquet.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good first set 6-4 win against Sharapova. Although Serena did make it more difficult with her 12+ plus unforced errors. Could easily have won it 6-1. Now hoping Serena can win the 2nd set for the French Championship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good first set 6-4 win against Sharapova. Although Serena did make it more difficult with her 12+ plus unforced errors. Could easily have won it 6-1. Now hoping Serena can win the 2nd set for the French Championship.
its looking good

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Serena wins the French Open with consecutive 6-4 set wins. The 2nd set was much easier even though the set scores were identical. Serena's serve was much more dominant and did have as many unforced errors. Sharapova played well, but couldn't handle how Serena's return and her serves.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
More hardware for Serena !!!!!!

:)

coupe-lenglen.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Serena wins the French Open with consecutive 6-4 set wins. The 2nd set was much easier even though the set scores were identical. Serena's serve was much more dominant and did have as many unforced errors. Sharapova played well, but couldn't handle how Serena's return and her serves.

How about those final 3 aces all from the deuce court !!! :eek:

woww

Reaction Score
I still remember him beating Anderson, Hoad, Laver, and Rosewall in successive evenings in White Plains under awful conditions back in the 60's, down a set or more every evening.
Drove down from West Point with Bitsy Harrison, a ranked player and coach of the cadet team.
He couldn't believe his eyes either.
Serena's domination is similar.

Where in White Plains were those tournaments held? Would you not like to see tournament tennis return to Forest Hills?

We are a long way from the day of MacGregor Budge Tournament, Dunlop Maxply, Wilson Jack Kramer, Slazenger Challenger, or even the original trampoline strung Wilson T2000 metal racquet. When was the last time you saw a racquet press?

Trivia question. Who was the last player to win Wimbledon with a wood racquet and the year? What model was it?

Related question: the same trio of questions for the first major won with a metal racquet? Hint: It is a long forgotten Spalding racquet.

I'll take a shot:
Last Wimbledon champion with a wood racket? How about Arthur Ashe with a Wilson.
First major with a metal racquet? Jimmy Connors

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Last Wimbledon champion with a wood racket? How about Arthur Ashe with a Wilson.

I remember Mac beat Borg in '81 at Wimbledon when he was still used a wooden (Dunlop) racquet. I assume he was still using the same racquet at the Open in the fall, so that would be the last one I know for sure. At some point he swtiched to the Max 200G (graphite), certainly by '84 and probably by '83. I would have to look at YouTube. 1982 is a question.

Not sure if there was anyone after that?

Not sure about first major with a metal - I would guess Connors also, with a T2000, possibly Wimbledon in '74

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree. I think Graf's slice backhand would have given Serena fits with the way it hugged the ground. And Steffi certainly had the forehand and athleticism to compete. She was one of the fastest players I can remember. Martina also had a nice lefty serve that could have taken Serena off the court and a darn good backhand slice. Serena doesn't handle the slice with great ease.

But IMO Serena would have beaten anyone who has played the game. Her play at this stage of her career is the best I've ever seen in the women's game. I think she can play at a top level for another 4 or 5 years if she wants, barring injury.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My first racquet was a wooden Slazenger and I thought I was really good with it. Then came the T-2000 and then my first graphite racquet, which I think was a Head. My favorite racquet ever was a Prince and I threw a tantrum and broke it and by then they didn't make that model anymore. I've never found a racquet that I like more and gave me the combination of power and with just enough control.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Where in White Plains were those tournaments held? Would you not like to see tournament tennis return to Forest Hills?

I'll take a shot:
No, and no, but good guesses. Anyone else?

BTW, I've likely handled more racquets than most of you because I worked in a ski, skate, tennis and bike specialty shop in the late 1960s and early/mid 70s and I was a stringer. Some of the early compound racquets like the Vokyl could be a high risk adventure when stringing as they delaminated and collapsed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Where in White Plains were those tournaments held? Would you not like to see tournament tennis return to Forest Hills.

I think in those days it was called the Civic Center, now the County Center.
I loved Forest Hills, but surely the Open is now too big for it,
Why not have a lesser grass court tourny there or a hard court warm-up for the open?

My first final there was the classic Mal Anderson / Ashley Cooper epic when Harry Hopkins' Aussie's ruled the tennis world.

Dating myself.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hint: The last wood racquet title was won by a tennis broadcaster.
Hint: The first metal racquet title was won 12 years before the last wood racquet title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom