OT: Serena in a battle at the French | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Serena in a battle at the French

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hint: The last wood racquet title was won by a tennis broadcaster.
Hint: The first metal racquet title was won 12 years before the last wood racquet title.

John McEnroe

Unfortunately, Arthur Ashe's US Open victory in 1968 against Bob Lutz in Forest Hills is as far back as I can go in tennis. The names are all familiar, but the matches, no dice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, when I have a rooting interest, it is better for my nerves that my rooting interest not be closely challenged. However, being a fan of the game, and of its popularity, longevity, viability, what have you, one has to embrace competition, drama, compelling storylines, and the physical and mental battles. None of that was evident which, at the semifinal level, is a bit disconcerting. And, like you, I get the feeling, there will be little drama in Saturday's final.
To this day, I cannot figure out how a 17 year old Sharapova was able to beat Serena at Wimbledon in 2004; At a time when Serena was indomitable. A couple of months later, Serena gets robbed in the US Open against Capriati. Serena, right now, is every bit as good as she was 10 years ago. That really is the story. Tennis has become a young woman's game, and Serena is defying Father Time, Mother Nature, and any and all comers.
Actually it has been a long time since a teenager of either gender won a major - because of the power game and better nutrition/training, teenagers are being overpowered - be a long time before we see another teenage champ. But ... you are right that Serena is defying age, though I think that has to do more with the mental desire to continue playing and putting in the time, then anything else. Her problems have been consistent focus, and she seems to have final reached that point.
As for competition - check out the longest match winning streaks in the women's game and you'll realize the sport has consistently had a top heavy line-up:
Navratilova streaks of - 74, 58, 54, 41
Graf - 66, 46, 45, 44
Court - 57
Evert - 55
As for those comparing between the games of women and men from different eras ... it really starts with the equipment and continues with the training and nutrition as with most sports - golf being a prime example.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ten_g_serena12_600.jpg
Perfect...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
John McEnroe won the 1981 Wimbledon with a wood racquet. Chris Evert and Yanick Noah won the 83 French with wood racquets.

Pedro Gonzalez won the 1969 Wimbledon with the long forgotten metal Spalding Slammer Flex.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Actually it has been a long time since a teenager of either gender won a major - because of the power game and better nutrition/training, teenagers are being overpowered - be a long time before we see another teenage champ. But ... you are right that Serena is defying age, though I think that has to do more with the mental desire to continue playing and putting in the time, then anything else. Her problems have been consistent focus, and she seems to have final reached that point.
As for competition - check out the longest match winning streaks in the women's game and you'll realize the sport has consistently had a top heavy line-up:
Graf - 66, 46, 45, 44
Court - 57
Evert - 55
As for those comparing between the games of women and men from different eras ... it really starts with the equipment and continues with the training and nutrition as with most sports - golf being a prime example.

If you think of 2004 (Maria) and 2005 (Rafa) as a "long time", then true, but you never
can tell about prodigies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Graf - 66, 46, 45, 44
Court - 57
Evert - 55

You have to wonder how well the current players would fare if they had to play with the racquets that former generation played with. As any player will tell you, the racquet can make or break your game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You have to wonder how well the current players would fare if they had to play with the racquets that former generation played with. As any player will tell you, the racquet can make or break your game.
The players and the game would be vastly different. Just attend one of the wooden racquet tournaments sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom