OT--Semi, I am truly spoiled UVA/Fla St | The Boneyard

OT--Semi, I am truly spoiled UVA/Fla St

Reaction Score
They are now into 8 trips up and down the floor until this 3, the only change was 2 trips to the foul line.
Fast break passing --I'm sorry UVA--is a joke, clumsy, no long out passes I've come to expect --
leading to layups---
This just proves to ME that there is only one combo like Gabby, Napheesa --with Danger, Kia, Chong , KLS delivering the pin point passes.
Now they are starting to score with 7 minutes left in the second Qtr. It may yet get to be worth watching.
Is this the problem with WBB getting viewers?? Or am I just spoiled rottend..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes you are spoiled. No one plays basketball like UCONN. Having said that, we only scored 66 against SC. Not exactly our finest offensive output...

Reaction Score
Yes you are spoiled. No one plays basketball like UCONN. Having said that, we only scored 66 against SC. Not exactly our finest offensive output..

But a lot of missed layups, and buckets taken away by the refs. Next time round, I'm betting that UConn scores a lot more on South Carolina. UConn looked primed to break out.

Reaction Score
UVa won by 9 if they made half of their layups--it would have been 20..

Great win for UVa.. Jablowski--relatives in the Bristol area gave UVa good minutes.

Reaction Score
Yes you are spoiled. No one plays basketball like UCONN. Having said that, we only scored 66 against SC. Not exactly our finest offensive output..
Question Eric---was Uconn off or was Uconn's scorers (Napheesa and KLS) held to not great scoring nights?? To me --while I like the 30 point blow outs --not for viewing--for winning--the 66 point game was more realistic against top 10 opponents --would you agree??
I agree that I and 4 million fans too are spoiled. But geeez, good passing and making layups isn't rocket science.

Reaction Score
I agree we're spoiled. On Watch ESPN I was able to check in on a handful of games this evening...looking at those with Ranked teams. Pretty sorry ball being played. Small crowds, even in SC. Most disturbing was home game for Boston College...only a smattering of seats in the lower level, middle of the court taken on both sides.

Reaction Score
I think UConn's lower score was partially due to some cold shooting and some good defense - but more due to SC slowing the game and reducing the number of offensive possessions.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's give Dawn and SC's game plan some credit for our point production. This game was no predictor of what a rematch could look like.

Reaction Score
Yes. Yes! :D:D.

Yes, yes , yes!! I followed UVa more with Debbie Ryan than with the more recent coach. While the new coach has had her successes--personal belief; Debbie did a better job of fundamentals. And in the Fla State game, while a victory, they could have/should have made layups and fast breaks should have ended in more open shots--fundamentals. The game had my interest in as much as they had a lead on a ranked opponent and lost it and got it back--nice theater. JMU, without UVa talent level, does a better job with fundamentals.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, yes , yes!! I followed UVa more with Debbie Ryan than with the more recent coach. While the new coach has had her successes--personal belief; Debbie did a better job of fundamentals. And in the Fla State game, while a victory, they could have/should have made layups and fast breaks should have ended in more open shots--fundamentals. The game had my interest in as much as they had a lead on a ranked opponent and lost it and got it back--nice theater. JMU, without UVa talent level, does a better job with fundamentals.
Love Debbie Ryan. She is from my neck of the woods & a Ursinus graduate which is 5 minutes up the road from my house. Debbie also coached a slew of former HS and AAU teammates of both of my daughters.
I watched some of the game last night mainly to check in on Felicia Aiyeotan (Fee). Fee is doing well- better than I predicted. But I'm most impressed by freshmen Dominique Toussaint from CTK and Jocelyn Willoughby who was in the UCONN recruiting pool at one time.

Reaction Score
Love Debbie Ryan. She is from my neck of the woods & a Ursinus graduate which is 5 minutes up the road from my house. Debbie also coached a slew of former HS and AAU teammates of both of my daughters.
I watched some of the game last night mainly to check in on Felicia Aiyeotan (Fee). Fee is doing well- better than I predicted. But I'm most impressed by freshmen Dominique Toussaint from CTK and Jocelyn Willoughby who was in the UCONN recruiting pool at one time.

Obviously I'd like the Toussaint--she was the heart of the team against Fla State.
But I don't like dirty talk. You know what you said.
Debbie Ryan in terms of ability to contact her personally was like Sherri Coale--she'd send a hand written note--welcoming you and suggesting you, as a WBB fan, attend her game--I know it's great pR--but with a personal touch. And the facilities at JPJ are the greatest. I was shocked and saddened (for me) that she choose to retire.
I liked jablonowski--she has potential--but the team needs a couple of Uconn summer camps. The talent is there--execution isn't. Do you think UVa would take me on as Associate HC?? My price is 10 million over the next 5 years---that's a bargain--I may not make the next 5.

Reaction Score
Yes. Yes! :D:D.

So you lived near RIP Hamilton's home Coatesville ---I lived off of Rt 30 (Lincoln Hwy) in Dwntwon --and traveled , almost daily, in the Philly to Reading to Pottstown
to Paoli--Passing a couple of WBB colleges who are legends now--

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you lived near RIP Hamilton's home Coatesville ---I lived off of Rt 30 (Lincoln Hwy) in Dwntwon --and traveled , almost daily, in the Philly to Reading to Pottstown
to Paoli--Passing a couple of WBB colleges who are legends now--
Not quite up as far as Rip's home town of Coatesville actually living in Geno hometown of Norristown.
A couple WBB colleges? Immaculata is pretty obvious by what else am I missing?

Reaction Score
Not quite up as far as Rip's home town of Coatesville actually living in Geno hometown of Norristown.
A couple WBB colleges? Immaculata is pretty obvious by what else am I missing?
That's pretty much it--on the way west to Paoli--I got carried away with numbers
However, I was sure there was one other, and with my gears slipping more and more I'm not sure if I just didn't forget one.
The last time I was in Coatesville--it looked like rust city America--the end of the golden age of Steel.
With Immaculata--after hearing and reading much about the school and WBB--
I had to see it. I obviously didn't see the whole campus--or if i did it is real tiny.
Nevertheless--I came away impressed that much of WBB began right there..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
[ Geno was my JV QUOTE="BroadwayVa, post: 2050197, member: 6118"]That's pretty much it--on the way west to Paoli--I got carried away with numbers
However, I was sure there was one other, and with my gears slipping more and more I'm not sure if I just didn't forget one.
The last time I was in Coatesville--it looked like rust city America--the end of the golden age of Steel.
I had to see it. I obviously didn't see the whole campus--or if i did it is real tiny.
Nevertheless--I came away impressed that much of WBB began right there..[/QUOTE]
I was touched by much of the history and did not even realize it until a few years ago when they actually got around to documenting much of it in the movie Mighty Macs. For example my kids were good enough to get a scholarships each year to some things called Future Stars Camp. They would come home and name drop all the famous people who came by to run drills like Pat Summitt and Debbie Ryan and Muffett McGraw ..... Well Future Stars camp was run by this very gracious lady named Cathy Rush. I spoke to Cathy just about every day I dropped the kids off and it was until years later that I realized I was in the presence of such greatness. I have mentioned quite a few times before that Geno was my HS JV coach. The Varsity coach was Phil Martelli current men's coach at St. Joes'. Phil's wife Judy played for Cathy at Immaculata for 4 year. Phil and Judy's daughter waged some epic CYO battles against my daughters team between the age of 12 and 14.
http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-comm...he-mighty-macs-stirs-memories-breaks-barriers

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Obviously I'd like the Toussaint--she was the heart of the team against Fla State.
But I don't like dirty talk. You know what you said.
Debbie Ryan in terms of ability to contact her personally was like Sherri Coale--she'd send a hand written note--welcoming you and suggesting you, as a WBB fan, attend her game--I know it's great pR--but with a personal touch. And the facilities at JPJ are the greatest. I was shocked and saddened (for me) that she choose to retire.
I liked jablonowski--she has potential--but the team needs a couple of Uconn summer camps. The talent is there--execution isn't. Do you think UVa would take me on as Associate HC?? My price is 10 million over the next 5 years---that's a bargain--I may not make the next 5.

Another Debbie Ryan fan here. With respect to the team, they're very young. Three freshmen started the other night. Give them a couple of years, even without a UConn camp, and I think they'll be really good. I'm curious to see if Aiyotan develops into a force once she learns basketball and gains some more strength. She's a little reminiscent of Manute Bol when he first came to the States.

Reaction Score
Debbie was a great coach for many years. But what I've heard here in Charlottesville is that she had "lost" the team. Having watched UVA for the past 6-7 years I tend to agree. I think her time had passed. Boyle's in the last year of her contract. She needs the team to finish the season well to continue as head coach. I think this team has enough talent and grit that she'll be back.

Reaction Score
Another Debbie Ryan fan here. With respect to the team, they're very young. Three freshmen started the other night. Give them a couple of years, even without a UConn camp, and I think they'll be really good. I'm curious to see if Aiyotan develops into a force once she learns basketball and gains some more strength. She's a little reminiscent of Manute Bol when he first came to the States.
Thanks Bigfoote----I was a bit frustrated by the lack of good/decent fast break--they made them but not fast enough, further the passing on the break was terrible ---both teams Fla St and uVA both missed way too many layups and too way too many shot that were bad to begin with.
With the core players hopefully--I'll go to some of their future games and enjoy them--I don't require them to WIN--just play with gusto and smoothly--winning then is also good.

Reaction Score
[ Geno was my JV QUOTE="BroadwayVa, post: 2050197, member: 6118"]That's pretty much it--on the way west to Paoli--I got carried away with numbers
Nevertheless--I came away impressed that much of WBB began right there..
I was touched by much of the history and did not even realize it until a few years ago when they actually got around to documenting much of it in the movie Mighty Macs. For example my kids were good enough to get a scholarships each year to some things called Future Stars Camp. They would come home and name drop all the famous people who came by to run drills like Pat Summitt and Debbie Ryan and Muffett McGraw ..... Well Future Stars camp was run by this very gracious lady named Cathy Rush. I spoke to Cathy just about every day I dropped the kids off and it was until years later that I realized I was in the presence of such greatness. I have mentioned quite a few times before that Geno was my HS JV coach. The Varsity coach was Phil Martelli current men's coach at St. Joes'. Phil's wife Judy played for Cathy at Immaculata for 4 year. Phil and Judy's daughter waged some epic CYO battles against my daughters team between the age of 12 and 14.
'The Mighty Macs' stirs memories, breaks barriers[/QUOTE]

I coached CYO basketball a few years---in Ct, near Storrs. Also did Youth BB--but it was much like AAU became/ Had some kids that were good then and became local stars. It was some of the most fun I had in those year--enjoyed the Alter wine during the annual Cyo Award dinner for the team. You were in the sunshine of greatness and probably didn't think so at the time--such is the world. Thanks for the Article..

Reaction Score
Question Eric---was Uconn off or was Uconn's scorers (Napheesa and KLS) held to not great scoring nights?? To me --while I like the 30 point blow outs --not for viewing--for winning--the 66 point game was more realistic against top 10 opponents --would you agree??
I agree that I and 4 million fans too are spoiled. But geeez, good passing and making layups isn't rocket science.

Oo Pheesa scored plenty. But yes, KLS didn't have a great scoring nite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom