OT: Safest, Easiest Way to Build Campfire in Yard | The Boneyard

OT: Safest, Easiest Way to Build Campfire in Yard

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hey all,

Trying to build something to have a fire in my yard. Everything online is an elaborate 'fire pit' and I don't want that. I literally want the minimum necessary for a safe fire. What do I need? Any suggestions? Is a metal fire rim necessary? Sand/pebbles? Thanks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey all,

Trying to build something to have a fire in my yard. Everything online is an elaborate 'fire pit' and I don't want that. I literally want the minimum necessary for a safe fire. What do I need? Any suggestions? Is a metal fire rim necessary? Sand/pebbles? Thanks
Are you using it just once? Do you care if you burn out your grass? Do you want a permanent fire pit?

I couldn't find the brick I used for my fire pit but you could use something like these
pewter-stepping-stones-71200-64_400_compressed.jpg

Just outline it with landscape brick or stone.

If you want something temporary or portable you use something like this.
master:WTL128.jpg

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Are you using it just once? Do you care if you burn out your grass? Do you want a permanent fire pit?

I couldn't find the brick I used for my fire pit but you could use something like these
pewter-stepping-stones-71200-64_400_compressed.jpg

Just outline it with landscape brick or stone.

If you want something temporary or portable you use something like this.
master:WTL128.jpg

-Want something permanent
-Don't care if the grass gets burned out
-Not a fan of the portable fire pit/chiminea kind of stuff
-Also, I already have a ton of granite stones that I can use so I'll probably use them if possible

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
-Want something permanent
-Don't care if the grass gets burned out
-Not a fan of the portable fire pit/chiminea kind of stuff
-Also, I already have a ton of granite stones that I can use so I'll probably use them if possible

I'd put a stone base on the bottom because it makes cleaning easier.

This one is a little small for my taste. I went 8x8 square so that I've got a little room between the fire and the grass. I have about a 3" lip around the outside again to make it easier to clean out the ash.

Reaction Score
Do you care about the grass?

Just light it on the grass and keep a hose handy.

People been lighting fires in nature for 1000 generations, man. Dont overthinl it.

I guess it depends on where you live but the fire department might not agree with your idea.

Reaction Score

Took my son and I under two hours... put crushed stone @ bottom. Cover is sheet metal w/ cabinet handles and painted w/ high heat black spray paint. Makes it easy to cover and go to bed w/ no worries and keeps whatever is unburnt dry. Be sure to look up to be sure your embers aren’t going up directly into a tree.

020.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Took my son and I under two hours... put crushed stone @ bottom. Cover is sheet metal w/ cabinet handles and painted w/ high heat black spray paint. Makes it easy to cover and go to bed w/ no worries and keeps whatever is unburnt dry. Be sure to look up to be sure your embers aren’t going up directly into a tree.

View attachment 25905

013.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Careful what type of crushed stones you use.
I know somebody who used the wrong type and they started to explode on them.

Reaction Score
Point for the good of the order: embers too close to a dying oak and wooden house may not be a good combination. No joking matter for a family which lived about 10 minutes away. Several months later, they're almost done rebuilding. I sh|t you not! :oops:

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know about safest but hiring this girl would be a pretty easy way to have a fire in your yard:

Reaction Score
Just invite our football team over and have them huddle up in your back yard. Make sure you a bucket of water on hand to put out the dumpster fire.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

I'd put a stone base on the bottom because it makes cleaning easier.

This one is a little small for my taste. I went 8x8 square so that I've got a little room between the fire and the grass. I have about a 3" lip around the outside again to make it easier to clean out the ash.

For better airflow leave a few 2 inch gaps in the bottom layer of brick or paver. If you want the fire to calm down you can use wedge shaped rocks to fill in the gaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom