OT: Rules Question | The Boneyard

OT: Rules Question

Reaction Score
Would love to have been at the XL last night for the big victory, but my alma mater was playing down the road in Hamden and it was my only opportunity to see them in the RS this year. Especially since before last night they were ranked so high after a couple decades of misery for our proud tradition.

My question is this. Clarkson broke in over the Q blue line and 15 seconds later scores. Q challenges the goal, and after a long interval of review the goal is waved off for Clarkson having been offsides when they first broke into the zone 15 seconds before. On replay I am told that overturning that call was WAY too problematic, but that is beside the point.

My question is: since when did the lack of an offsides call become reviewable? Is it in fact reviewable? Because that seems like the most asinine rule change ever to me. But maybe I am too old school ....

Reaction Score
I didn’t think it was reviewable either. Maybe on a break but if the team moves the puck around in the offensive zone that seems at best problematic. Also offside is more and more a judgement call these days. You never see it called as long as guys are skating toward the blue line.

Just as an aside Cav looked like he was trying to get the refs to looks at that on one of the BC scores last night but they ignored him.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen it in the nhl, too. Goals called back waaay before 15 seconds, too. Here’s the most recent:
McDavid blasts offside rule after Oilers have goal called back
I am sure you meant way after 15 seconds, but thanks so much. That is one really really really stupid rule!! If you are gonna do that then go all the way back to the last whistle to see if there were ANY infractions by the scoring team that were not called. How about that stick hold in the defensive zone that got missed and allowed the scoring team to break out of their own end?? Gotta look at that too.

Reaction Score
I am sure you meant way after 15 seconds, but thanks so much. That is one really really really stupid rule!! If you are gonna do that then go all the way back to the last whistle to see if there were ANY infractions by the scoring team that were not called. How about that stick hold in the defensive zone that got missed and allowed the scoring team to break out of their own end?? Gotta look at that too.
I agree it’s an awful rule. It’s usually so close and not-picky as to whether or not he’s offsides.

Reaction Score
The offsides review was implemented a few years ago and was amended over this past summer. Previously, you could review ANY offside play that was not whistled as such if it resulted in a goal while the puck remained in the zone. The most glaring example of this came in the BU-North Dakota NCAA Tournament game where UND scored in OT but it was eventually waved off because a UND player was offside about 20-30 seconds before it. The amendment this summer was if the defensive team possesses the puck at any point after the offside call in question, it is no longer reviewable. BU had possessed the puck in the play above before the goal was scored. So, Clarkson would've had to come in and maintain possession for all 15 seconds without QU getting ahold of the puck in any regard. It's a somewhat ridiculous review rule, compounded by the fact that they don't mandate rinks to have cameras along the blue line so often the ref reviewing the play has to make the call based on a bunch of really bad angles. The BU-UND review was a solid 5 minutes before they finally found a camera angle that definitively showed the guy offside.

Reaction Score
This discussion even more firmly reinforces my opinion that it should be scrapped. Thanks for all the input. Good stuff. Lotta expertise on this board these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom