OT - Rose Bowl | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - Rose Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a person with a UCLA degree ... I think you're nuts.

When both are good, it is a fun fall in LA because offices of any size have loads of both. SC is an ethical morass and always has been. But having a bunch of white conservatives from Orange County descend into greater LA - because you know they don't show when the team is .500 - is just gloomy for me. Plus the damn song ... about a handful of notes played 4 hours straight.

Seriously. USC is a far better school than it was in the 80s and chiefly because it took International kids in by the thousands (think second to NYU) and the crime is down. They cleaned up MLK Blvd.
UCLA has a football team?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, the buyout was privately funded and logically Burton was at a minimum a contributor to the buyout.

I doubt that you have met AD Dave as if you have the last thing you would believe would be that he would let a donor dictate who he can or cannot hire.

Everybody can believe whatever they want to believe because the real story will likely never be known, but it's apparent that no nationwide search was conducted. If it were, there certainly are a number of potential candidates out there with better resumes than Edsall's, and that wouldn't have been dragging significant baggage along with them. Most recently he was a failure at Maryland, and he alienated the entire UConn community due to the manner in which he left.

Despite those warts, we needed a very quick, arguably safe, and inexpensive choice. Edsall checked all those boxes, and he wanted to return. Unfortunately, it was done at the risk of dealing with a somewhat fractured fanbase going forward, since they knew some fans would be anywhere from lukewarm to downright opposed to the decision. Many here have stated they were initially opposed but are "warming up" to it.

As recently as early December, somebody here indicated McHugh told them they didn't have the money for the buyout, so Diaco would be back. Something happened during the past month to flip that dynamic. I'm not suggesting Benedict didn't approve of the hire by any means, but the circumstances point toward it being at the very least a mutual decision that the donors had considerable influence in making.

I saw one interview with a donor who said he's been attending all the football games for 63 years, since before Memorial Stadium was built. He was clearly in the Edsall camp. These folks defintely had some influence in the decision making process, IMHO.

I'm not anti-Edsall. I'm willing to take a wait and see stance like most everybody else here seems to be. I also think we won't see nearly the erosion in season ticket sales we would have if Crazy Bob had come back. We might even be lucky enough to see a modest increase. I also think Benedict made the 100 percent right decision under the circumstances. Nothing about it should reflect negatively on him. He did what had to be done.

I'll agree to disagree on how it all went down with the donors and Benedict.

Reaction Score
UCLA has a football team?

Unfortunately ... USC and UCLA have rarely been good at the same time. kinda ironic

When Troy Aikman took the snaps ... there was a 15 year period that USC just sucked. Then Pete Carroll arrived. And most of the period of the last 12 years, USC has been better ... excepting a few years. Mora is good. Last year, the Bruins were good. Josh Rosen will return, therefore a Darnold - Rosen game will be 100,000 people and something special. And LA people will talk about it for a month before ... and a month after. When the rivalry is good, there is not another city in America like it for college football.

Reaction Score
As a person with a UCLA degree ... I think you're nuts.

USC is a far better school than it was in the 80s and chiefly because it took International kids in by the thousands (think second to NYU) and the crime is down.
University of South China to University of China Los Angeles; the difference, more legitimately legal California residents, US citizens of Asian ethnicity, and diverse Asian backgrounds at the public school. ;)

Reaction Score
Whether or not he was called some names is completely irrelevant, but if we are going there, he was reportedly calling her friend a f@ggot as well. She can call him whatever she wants, and it does not justify him following her back into the restaurant. It just makes her trash.

He absolutely should have walked away in that situation, no question. When your pissed and you make that decision to not walk away the situation only gets worse.

Reaction Score
University of South China to University of China Los Angeles; the difference, more legitimately legal California residents, US citizens of Asian ethnicity, and diverse Asian backgrounds at the public school. ;)

Wow ...

I truly don't think we have seen this level of Asian hate here. Of course this is sports ... and Asians aren't core players.

USC is a LEADER at marketing to China and India and Southeast Asia. Get your heads around that. For the $65k+ Price Tag ... they figured this out 20 years ago and worked that angle. Their University is far better because of that. As we have a National Election on Immigration, recognise that one of America's primary comparative advantage in the World is our dominant Education system at the University level. A good 37 of the top 50 Universities in the World are in America. Including UCLA and Berkeley. Gaining International students was a big win for several schools decades ago. Now NYU, USC, Illinois and a few notable others are out front.

UCLA and Cal ... and then Cal-Davis, UCSD etc all have large ASIAN populations. Distinguishing that from just Chinese. Taiwan kids are here in bulk, Koreans, Indonesians, Bangladesh, India ... and they are largely upper middle class kids. But California and their 55 million people is a Multicultural stew to begin with. And when these kids get into the classroom, they still work harder than the white kids. There are constraints at Berkeley and UCLA today to cap the attendance of Chinese etc kids to provide a diverse class. Therefore, you can find Cal State San Marcos or others down the totem full of Asians.

This is our world today. I teach at UAlbany. One semester I had 33 students and 27 of them were Chinese or Taiwanese.

Reaction Score
I truly don't think we have seen this level of Asian hate here. Of course this is sports ... and Asians aren't core players.
Wow, thanks for the comic relief. Oh, the ironies. Apparently, multiple Asian colleagues (including USC and UCLA alumni), staff members hired from both schools, friends, parents seeking input from their American friend, even my spouse, and others in HK, the Middle Kingdom, TW, SG, JP, KR, elsewhere in East, and even South and Central Asia never knew of, shared, asked about nor laughed about the unofficial acronyms you clearly misinterpreted as evoking hatred. While others have lived, worked, and have extensive direct experience on the ground across Asia and with Asians of each nation (absent the DPRK - albeit one pretty good, entertaining, bizarre North Korean restaurant in Beijing), when you obtained a UCLA degree you actually never heard either acronym? When? In the 1950s? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wow, thanks for the comic relief. Oh, the ironies. Apparently, multiple Asian colleagues (including USC and UCLA alumni), staff members hired from both schools, friends, parents seeking input from their American friend, even my spouse, and others in HK, the Middle Kingdom, TW, SG, JP, KR, elsewhere in East, and even South and Central Asia never knew of, shared, asked about nor laughed about the unofficial acronyms you clearly misinterpreted as evoking hatred. While others have lived, worked, and have extensive direct experience on the ground across Asia and with Asians of each nation (absent the DPRK - albeit one pretty good, entertaining, bizarre North Korean restaurant in Beijing), when you obtained a UCLA degree you actually never heard either acronym? When? In the 1950s? :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that language is important.

Your words spoke loudly

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that language is important. Your words spoke loudly
Indeed! You'd be absolutely incorrect, but carry on with more of your ill-informed accusations.
当Pudge演给你看的时候你会觉得很好笑

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member