OT: Rockcats to Hartford? | The Boneyard

OT: Rockcats to Hartford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So cash poor Hartford is going to ante up $ 40Million with NO State assistance to build a new baseball stadium in downtown Hartford. Coincidentally, the Rockcats lease is up in 2015. Note to the Mayor, review the events on-line of the Patriots fiasco. Think negotiating ploy. Or, as my wife said: "Now we realize what the busway is for. To transport Rockcats fans to & from the game."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't really care but it seems to be a bad idea for the team. But it sounds like there are some tax issues driving it...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
i can't wait for them to move. sports should be in cities, not drive-by stadiums like were built in the 80's and 90's.

Reaction Score
The state is not at the table so their funds are not at issue yet. No way the governor jumps into a pushing match btw a city and a town -- New Britain ain't a city, sorry

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
me too. That's a nifty little stadium they have in New Britain.

Mayor's kinda hot too, no?

I can't tell if the Mayor is a brilliant young brilliant person who is going to run the world or if she is a total idiot who is in way over her head and the city is going to collapse on top of her.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Personally, I'd rather put that money towards expanding the Rent. The Rockcats are fine just where they are. UCONN is not fine where they are.

Well the Rent isn't in Hartford....

Reaction Score
I can't tell if the Mayor is a brilliant young brilliant person who is going to run the world or if she is a total idiot who is in way over her head and the city is going to collapse on top of her.
Neither one really.. here's my analysis from having business dealings with new Britain for a number of years now. She's from a politically connected family. Her father was Mayor for 3 or 4 terms until he retired in 2011, and if you meet with her, you discover that almost every department head and adviser served in his administration, too. By the way, he is now the head of the Chamber of Commerce and works no more than 100 yards from City Hall. to say he's part of her "kitchen cabinet" is the understatement of all time. Her mother was also active in local politics, and Erin's been on one or another city board since she was 18. The guy she beat in November managed to antagonize more people and groups in New Britain in 2 years than you would have thought possible to do in 10, and he was clueless in how to run a city. Being Mayor is way different from being a state legislator. he never quite got that. He saw the same issues but lacked any idea as to how to deal with them other than to kick the can down the road and try and pass the costs on to out of town property owners who ponied up big money and support for Erin in November. I give her credit for actually trying to stabilize the budget, something no mayor, including her dad, has done there since Don DeFronzo, but sometimes things are so bad that you just have to do what you have to do and I think that was the case in New Britain. To an extent she's doing what the Republicans in town have always wanted to do but lacked the strength (on the council) or the guts when they had the mayors office, to propose. I think she's very personable, so everybody likes her. In that way, I liken her to former Governor Rell, who was well liked but also pretty clueless and more or less abdicated her role to the legislative Democrats. Erin Stewart won't abdicate but she will more or less follow what her father and his advisers suggest.

Reaction Score
I have never been to a game so I can't tell you about the atmosphere or how this would affect New Britain. What I can say is I like the idea from an outsiders prospective.

A stadium in downtown Hartford would be pretty cool and I would definitely go to some games then do a little bar hoping before/after. With the UConn downtown campus, Xfinity Center, improved XL, new riverfront park/Bushnell project, and now a baseball stadium Hartford is on the upswing.

Say what you will about Hartford but they are trying and its showing.

Reaction Score
I don't really care but it seems to be a bad idea for the team. But it sounds like there are some tax issues driving it...
Seems kind of a bizzare decision on the part of the Rock Cats to me. They are always in the top half of the league in attendance and have a smaller seating capacity than every one above them. I couldn't find it, but they are very near the top in % of capacity. They haven't been all that great lately, and have no connection with any of the "local" major league franchises to draw on, also unlike say the Portland Seadogs (Red Sox) or Trenton Thunder (Yankees) or Reading Phils (Phillies) yet they continue to draw. This past weekend they set a record for attendance in a 3-game series. seems sort of strange to move what is clearly a successful situation about 10 miles up the road.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well the Rent isn't in Hartford....

No wonder why so many fans can never get to their seats on time...too busy tailgating in Hartford walking around looking for the stadium.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No wonder why so many fans can never get to their seats on time...too busy tailgating in Hartford walking around looking for the stadium.

Well it would make it a strange way to spend their money.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Rockcats offer convenience, a great family atmosphere, and a great value. I think those all go away if they move to the proposed spot in Hartford. And I say this as someone that likes Hartford and roots for it to do well. This isn't the answer and the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Reaction Score
The irony of this development is that Hartford has been talking for years about Building a AAA sized stadium & enticing a team from out of state. Then the city fathers lower their standards & are in negotiations with the AA team practically in their own back yard.

Reaction Score
The irony of this development is that Hartford has been talking for years about Building a AAA sized stadium & enticing a team from out of state. Then the city fathers lower their standards & are in negotiations with the AA team practically in their own back yard.
The Triple A thing was never happening. The Rock Cats have some kind of a veto and would never allow it. Though I agree it would be nice to have a Triple A team. Hartford's options are single A or the Rock Cats. For what its worth I looked into locating an single A team in a downtown stadium in another Hartford area community even further away than Hartford is from New Britain a few years ago and the Rock Cats approval would have been required. We never got to the point of making the deal, so it didn't matter...and our lead guy was a guy with deep baseball roots. Had had at various times modest pieces of a couple of major league teams. And he couldn't get the league to budge on getting NB's approval. The only thing we could have landed was a non-affiliated team like the Bluefish. But the town wasn't interested in making the investment in upgrading facilities for a team from that level.

Reaction Score
what, if anything, are the Rock Cats unhappy with in regards to New Britain?

Reaction Score
^ The biggest issue is quality/management of the facilities. New Britain Stadium is built on a city park (Willowbrook Park) and is part of the city parks & recreation system. As a result, the city's collective bargaining agreements stipulate that only park and rec workers can maintain the field and facility. So basically, a guy could be mowing a park on the other side of town at 11 a.m. and then lining the field for that night's game later in the day. Most teams - even in the minor leagues - have their own dedicated groundskeeper and ground crew. If you travel to other parks in the league, you can see the difference between the field in New Britain and other fields. Also, as a result of this inflexibility, the Rock Cats lose a lot of games to rain outs that other teams get in. Generally speaking, they are always near the top of the league in openings lost. They lost something like 9 dates in 2011 when the next lowest team only lost 5. Some teams only lose 1 or 2 in a year. If these happen on a Friday or Saturday, they can be devastating to a team. In fact, they lost a game earlier this year, where it rained during the mid-morning and parks & rec department didn't tarp the field. The game had to be called despite it being sunny and 50 at game time. That was probably the last straw for them.

The team has tried for years to get the city to allow them to hire their own grounds crew and maintain the field and facility themselves. The team, city, and union have thus far been unable to come to a deal.

The stadium in general also needs some work. It's a nice enough place, but the other parks in the league have passed it by over the years, and it's starting to really show it's age. (It will be 20 in 2016). The offices/club houses/press box are really small compared to others around the league. Plus, they are at the point where things like seating/railing/fixtures will need to be replaced and its unclear where the money for that will come from.

Of note, the owners are relatively new, having bought the team in the spring 2012. They are from Eastern Mass., so they don't have a lot of ties to the community. It wouldn't shock me if this was part of a larger plan to "scorch the earth" and deflate the market, making it easier to move the team elsewhere out of Conn.

Reaction Score
So cash poor Hartford is going to ante up $ 40Million with NO State assistance to build a new baseball stadium in downtown Hartford. Coincidentally, the Rockcats lease is up in 2015. Note to the Mayor, review the events on-line of the Patriots fiasco. Think negotiating ploy. Or, as my wife said: "Now we realize what the busway is for. To transport Rockcats fans to & from the game."

Although the busway is a joke, Light Rail will be operational by 2016 so it'll be entirely possible to take the train into Hartford and catch a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom