OT: Roadside tool kit | The Boneyard

OT: Roadside tool kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've been stranded one time too many. Any suggestions for a roadside tool kit? Either prepackaged, or what I need to add to a kit I put together.

Heavy duty jumper cables is my starting point.

Jim

Reaction Score
I'd add a flashlight, flares, adjustable wrench, screwdriver with reversible Phillips and flat head ends, and a first aid kit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
faf-logo.png

Best stuff ever.

Reaction Score
I always keep a pair of work gloves in the trunk in case I ever have to change a tire in freezing weather.

Reaction Score
in all seriousness, I echo the AAA sentiments. they have been life savers (literally) as well as piece of mind many a time. price is totally justified.

Reaction Score
I've been stranded one time too many. Any suggestions for a roadside tool kit? Either prepackaged, or what I need to add to a kit I put together.

Heavy duty jumper cables is my starting point.
I recently found out that many insurance programs provide road service 24/7 at a price much lower than AAA. Eg., AMICA has a charge of about $5 or $10 for such road service. Why the insurance carriers don't advertise this service, I do not know. But it is good, and inexpensive. Of course, no nice maps available for trip planning.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes it is vital to have that in your emergency kit but only use it if you have no other alternatives (and you have a tire repair shop that you trust). If they don't clean the tire out completely before fixing the leak, you can kiss the tire (and pssibly your alignment) goodbye.

You also want to add a pair (maybe two pairs) of work gloves, and spare cans of motor oil, transmission fluid and brake fluid. In a perfrect world you will never use them but in a pinch the few (perhaps ten) dollars they cost will be dwarfed by the potential worst case scenarios if you need them. Disclaimer on brake fluid, without the ability to bleed air from the lines, refilling the master cylinder will give you better braking than without (if there is a problem), give yourself plenty of additional braking room as they will not work consistently with air pockets. This is also an emergency only fix.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
AAA Gold membership pays for itself every year in getting one or more of us out of a jam, and in hotel and other discounts.

Forget the jumper cables and get one of these, with which you can jump yourself or come to the rescue of someone else; it also provides good battery power in power outages, especially if you get a good inverter with a few outlets:

81qYuIVV8aL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah AAA. I have found them to be generally quick, membership isn't expensive and you can renew your license there to avoid a trip to the DMV (at least in CT).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A liter+ of water and a smallish towel. If you blow your radiator, soak the towl and stick it in the blown hole. Dump the rest of the water in the radiator, and than should be enough to get you to a mechanic or home.

Always good to have the water for cleaning hands (after some repair) or simply filling a low radiator if your car is overheating.

Can be a good thing in a pinch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Girl scout motto - Be prepared. Condoms.

Reaction Score
Cordless impact gun. I can change a flat including jacking the car in under five minutes. Jumper cables, heavy duty flashlight, and safety equipment is also a must. Impact gun may be cost prohibitive if you don't use it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom