OT: Rip currents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Rip currents

Reaction Score
Never been caught in one. Grew up in NJ going to the shore multiple times every summer. Mom grew up in Tom’s River and my grandparents on her side lived there up until a couple years ago. She and my dad met working on the boardwalk in Seaside, and my dad did a summer life guarding the shore. I was taught to always look out for where waves converged in a crisscross diagonal pattern on the sand, as that was where a rip tide was most likely to form.

The tides on the Shore were always strong and when my brother and I would play in the water, we would be swept up or down the shore pretty quickly. We would play in the water for 10 minutes and suddenly realize we were a hundred yards up or down the sand from where we started. So we always appreciated how strong the current could be and were mindful to move sideways out of anything knee deep or higher that we had to really fight against.

Reaction Score
Nearly died in one on the West coast of Costa Rica. I surfed so knew what to do-
but the surf was big that day as well so not a great combo.
If its “ just a rip tide” you swim down the beach and when you get to shore you might be a mile away from where you started but you re safe. If there is a strong undertow as well it gets really hairy fast- especially if you have no board or flotation device with you.

Reaction Score
Doesn't hurt to check with a lifeguard about conditions if you're planning on swimming close to shore. Checking those wave patterns are also a good idea when choosing a spot to go in. I got caught in a mild one and swam sideways out of it in Boca. Wife was in shallow water on a different day while I was checking my phone under the umbrella and I noticed someone's feet standing next to me. It was the lifeguard looking out at my wife who was struggling to walk in. Between the two of us I was confident she'd be okay so I kind of calmly asked what he thought we should do. I guess being a first responder has jaded me a bit. She walked out as we approached. And I pulled an older woman out of shallow water in the Hamptons a few years back. Shallow water with a strong current. People drown in shallow water more than you might think. Be aware of what's going on around you.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yep. Was in the water with my daughter at Coast Guard Beach on the Cape. It was scary. Thankfully we were not in too deep and I was able to set my feet and slowly walk out holding onto her. Was real surprised by the power of the current. The lifeguards rescued two kids that were holding onto a boogie board and could not get back in.
Same thing at Coast Guard summer after blizzard Larry (1978?). Beach was really messed up with a quick drop off. I still don't know if it was a rip tide or just a very strong undertow at a high tide. Scared the crap out of me. The wind was blowing sand like in a sandstorm because the parking lot had been swept away. Unforgettable.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Never go in above your knees in ocean water. Sheltered bays, Long Island Sound, estuaries, are much safer and more lake like.
If anyone has ever been to Montauk Light, it’s easy to see the difference between dangerous ocean rip currents and huge waves south of the lighthouse and calm one foot lake like waves only about a quarter mile north of Montauk Light. From the top of the lighthouse you can actually see a difference in the color and violence of the water. The fishing at that demarcation line is also great.
Great striper fishing there for sure.

Reaction Score
I'm a good swimmer (lifeguard, swim team when younger) and I had experienced rip tides in the Northeast, but nothing prepared me for the rip tides on the West Coast. My buddy and I were boogie boarding on a beach that was all boarders and surfers and the rip tides were as wide as a large river going diagonally out to sea. Thankfully, we had our boards and flippers on so it was relatively easy to get back after being swept out but you were not getting out of the rip tides if you were swimming.

Reaction Score
Nearly died in one on the West coast of Costa Rica. I surfed so knew what to do-
but the surf was big that day as well so not a great combo.
If its “ just a rip tide” you swim down the beach and when you get to shore you might be a mile away from where you started but you re safe. If there is a strong undertow as well it gets really hairy fast- especially if you have no board or flotation device with you.
I surfed in CR one day and then went fishing the next. I’m an experienced off-shore fisherman. I saw sea monsters that day that made me skip surfing the next. There are BIG fish in CR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom