OT: Rip currents | The Boneyard

OT: Rip currents

Reaction Score
Anyone ever get caught in one?

I did once in Sarasota while I was standing up in the water, and having read some stuff about it before, walked parallel to the shore and that worked.

Bloggers for this article gave some good suggestions on how to survive.

Reaction Score
Got caught in one in Cancun, only we didn't realize we were in one until we turned around thinking we were close to shore, but we were far out (200 feet) within seconds. We swam sideways for a bit, not much, maybe 30-50 feet, then back to shore.

Reaction Score
I have experienced them a few times. They can be scary, even when you know what to do. Sometimes you don't even realize its happening at first. One killed one of my favorite musicians and he was a very experienced surfer who grew up in Malibu.

Reaction Score
I did in Isabella, PR, thanks to my wife. Ready to divorce over it. Didn't know about the swim parallel to the shore til after.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Never did. No.

Reaction Score
Yep. Was in the water with my daughter at Coast Guard Beach on the Cape. It was scary. Thankfully we were not in too deep and I was able to set my feet and slowly walk out holding onto her. Was real surprised by the power of the current. The lifeguards rescued two kids that were holding onto a boogie board and could not get back in.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
When I was in 4th grade I went to Aruba with family for a week. We were on the calm side of the island, and I was just swimming in the ocean. As I was treading water, I realized I had drifted pretty far out, and when I tried to swim to shore, I was just going further out. I was kinda looking around but not screaming or panicking. Luckily, a jet skier saw me drifting out to sea, and picked me up out of the water, and brought me back close to shore. If he hadn’t seen me, I’m guessing I may have just gone out to sea, since no one realized I was that far out to begin with. I owe that person my life.

Reaction Score
The bjc42 like thing… which I am a fan of… doesn’t have the same impact in a “my friend died in a rip current” thread.
the likes were not meant to be insensitive in any way. I am sorry about that

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Northern Gulf of Mexico from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, FL has been closed all week because of heavy tides.
Strongest currents and heaviest wave action I've seen in 20 years without a hurricane spinning somewhere.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Northern Gulf of Mexico from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, FL has been closed all week because of heavy tides.
Strongest currents and heaviest wave action I've seen on 20 years without a hurricane spinning somewhere.
You do know there was a tropical storm, yes?

Reaction Score
When I was in 4th grade I went to Aruba with family for a week. We were on the calm side of the island, and I was just swimming in the ocean. As I was treading water, I realized I had drifted pretty far out, and when I tried to swim to shore, I was just going further out. I was kinda looking around but not screaming or panicking. Luckily, a jet skier saw me drifting out to sea, and picked me up out of the water, and brought me back close to shore. If he hadn’t seen me, I’m guessing I may have just gone out to sea, since no one realized I was that far out to begin with. I owe that person my life.
What a coincidence. I'm at the Aruba airport leaving back home now. I was saved by a surfer. The most helpless feeling is to put your head down, swim as hard as you can, look up and see the beach farther out. Being oblivious to this being a a possibility, made me think of how reckless i was in Maui where the waves were much stronger.

Reaction Score
Pacific Ocean Mexico, Mazatlan. Went under and didn’t come out for maybe 15 seconds which seemed an eternity. I don’t go out far anymore, do the pools. Red flags= no swim

Reaction Score
Pacific Ocean Mexico, Mazatlan. Went under and didn’t come out for maybe 15 seconds which seemed an eternity. I don’t go out far anymore, do the pools. Red flags= no swim
Even with yellow flags, something to think about or to take a pass on.

Reaction Score
Yep. Was in the water with my daughter at Coast Guard Beach on the Cape. It was scary. Thankfully we were not in too deep and I was able to set my feet and slowly walk out holding onto her. Was real surprised by the power of the current. The lifeguards rescued two kids that were holding onto a boogie board and could not get back in.
Never go in above your knees in ocean water. Sheltered bays, Long Island Sound, estuaries, are much safer and more lake like.
If anyone has ever been to Montauk Light, it’s easy to see the difference between dangerous ocean rip currents and huge waves south of the lighthouse and calm one foot lake like waves only about a quarter mile north of Montauk Light. From the top of the lighthouse you can actually see a difference in the color and violence of the water. The fishing at that demarcation line is also great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was before the sharks took it over.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
What a coincidence. I'm at the Aruba airport leaving back home now. I was saved by a surfer. The most helpless feeling is to put your head down, swim as hard as you can, look up and see the beach farther out. Being oblivious to this being a a possibility, made me think of how reckless i was in Maui where the waves were much stronger.
Yeah, I vividly remember the entire scenario, even though it was 35 years ago. I remember just looking around and wondering if anyone would help me, and thinking to myself how nice it would be if the jet skier came and got me or if I would just keep floating further out, and lo and behold, the jet skier came and got me. He could probably see I was in real danger, and thankfully decided to be a hero, without anyone else even realizing it.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
We also went to that natural water bridge on the opposite side of Aruba, with the huge waves. My cousin and I swam under the bridge and my aunt was freaking out because of the rough water and high waves but we made it out safely. I guess that bridge crumbled a few years ago or so. I want to go back to Aruba at some point. Such a beautiful island with those cool divi divi trees.

Reaction Score
When I first moved from CT to FL, I got caught in one off Delray Beach. It was scary! Finally, my feet hit a sand bar and was able to get out of it.

Today I pay attention to the flags. Glad I learned my lesson early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom