OT: Renovating Yale Bowl... | The Boneyard

OT: Renovating Yale Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the New Haven Register under Chip Malafronte's by-line is the following:
'Temporary lights will be brought to the Yale Bowl for this year's edition of The Game, a 2:30 p.m. start that will theoretically kick off in the daylight and be completed under the buzz of 1,000 watt bulbs.
It will be the first night football game for Yale in New Haven, but certainly not the last. The school is working furiously on a plan to renovate the 101-year-old Bowl with field turf and permanent lights, a redesign that, sources say, could be in place two years from now."

This makes sense for Yale as the Bowl hosts Special Olympics events. It could also trigger other events to be hosted at the behemoth in West Haven.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I really wish that UConns neutral site match up proposals with P5 teams that always bug me so much could take place here rather than past proposals of Foxboro or East Rutherford. A UConn ND type of game there would be a real treat. Heck, I wouldn't even mind UConn and Yale meeting up there.

Reaction Score
Even more OT - when UCONN and Yale used to play every year, does anyone on here remember the one year when they had BUCK DAY? All tickets were a buck!!

I think they only did this one year. Attendance that year was about 35,000 and I believe that is still the attendance record for a UCONN/Yale game. I think this was about 1972 or so.

Personally I Would like to see us play Yale every few years and a game at the Yale Bowl would be great

Reaction Score
Even more OT - when UCONN and Yale used to play every year, does anyone on here remember the one year when they had BUCK DAY? All tickets were a buck!!

I think they only did this one year. Attendance that year was about 35,000 and I believe that is still the attendance record for a UCONN/Yale game. I think this was about 1972 or so.

Personally I Would like to see us play Yale every few years and a game at the Yale Bowl would be great
If we signed a series to play Holy Cross I can't see why we don't play Yale instead. I'd much rather see that series start back up again that the HC series.

Reaction Score
You guys think Yale wants to be embarrassed in football?

Reaction Score
I really wish that UConns neutral site match up proposals with P5 teams that always bug me so much could take place here rather than past proposals of Foxboro or East Rutherford. A UConn ND type of game there would be a real treat. Heck, I wouldn't even mind UConn and Yale meeting up there.

If I remember correctly in the initial agreement with the state. All football game in the state of CT must be played at The Rent until I believe 2020

Reaction Score
If we signed a series to play Holy Cross I can't see why we don't play Yale instead. I'd much rather see that series start back up again that the HC series.

I went I believe that last UConn game at the Yale bowl. Never stepped inside the bowl. No idea who won, no idea how I woke up on my dorm room floor the next morning. It was a good time.

Reaction Score
In the New Haven Register under Chip Malafronte's by-line is the following:
'Temporary lights will be brought to the Yale Bowl for this year's edition of The Game, a 2:30 p.m. start that will theoretically kick off in the daylight and be completed under the buzz of 1,000 watt bulbs.
It will be the first night football game for Yale in New Haven, but certainly not the last. The school is working furiously on a plan to renovate the 101-year-old Bowl with field turf and permanent lights, a redesign that, sources say, could be in place two years from now."

This makes sense for Yale as the Bowl hosts Special Olympics events. It could also trigger other events to be hosted at the behemoth in West Haven.
the series was discontinued because not only was UCONN dominating the game, but too many Yale players were suffering season ending injuries. There is no sitting out injured in the Ivy League. In order to get the year back a player needs to drop out of school. You get 8 semesters. Injured or not.

Reaction Score
A game against Yale would not count towards bowl eligibility since they offer no scholarships. Can't play SHU or CCSU since they are considered mid FCS football teams since they are below the minimum scholarship level required to be a major FCS like HC, Nova, Maine, etc.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Playing Yale would be an ideal local game if it was practical. It's not.

Let's try to schedule BC, UMass, Syracuse, Pitt, Army, and Rutgers. At least one per year, and not always UMass or Army.

Reaction Score
would much rather see Uconn play at the Bowl. At least it is in Connecticut AND that SOB Kraft does not profit from Uconn after his unethical actions 20 years ago screwing the state and Uconn

Reaction Score
At least... that SOB Kraft does not profit from Uconn after his unethical actions 20 years ago screwing the state and Uconn

While I can understand how you feel, and what he did was disingenuous and disgraceful, it was also not uncommon in the bawdy world of franchise owner pressure tactics. I think it's time to let go of the anger. We need to pour all of our energies into the Huskies of now!

Reaction Score
The Bowl seats 70000 + and the local fan base has to travel 40-60 miles. In addition the economy of Connecticut benefits big with a local game.

Reaction Score
The Bowl seats 70000 + and the local fan base has to travel 40-60 miles. In addition the economy of Connecticut benefits big with a local game.

The Bowl seats 61k (on wooden benches) now after renovations. Bigger than the Rent but amenities are significantly less and tailgate restrictions have changed significantly since UConn last played in New Haven.

Reaction Score
A game against Yale would not count towards bowl eligibility since they offer no scholarships. Can't play SHU or CCSU since they are considered mid FCS football teams since they are below the minimum scholarship level required to be a major FCS like HC, Nova, Maine, etc.
I forgot about that.....

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I went I believe that last UConn game at the Yale bowl. Never stepped inside the bowl. No idea who won, no idea how I woke up on my dorm room floor the next morning. It was a good time.

Pffft - even a good portion of the marching band never stepped inside the bowl, particularly the seniors.

Yep, 'Wail On Yale Weekend' was a hoot...

Reaction Score
This.

I still blame Glenn Frey.

upload_2015-7-27_11-54-55.png

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Oh please just stop with the playing Yale and playing at the Yale Bowl. UConn hAs moved on. We have a much better stadium than the Yale bowl. Better tailgating. And someone said I need to move into the future! Good grief!
+ 1,000,000 Thank You, and Amen!!!

Reaction Score
I have to say that I never thought I'd see the day when the Yale Bowl went to artificial turf.

Yale Bowl Upgrade Would Include Artificial Turf, Bubble Roof
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-yale-bowl-renovations-0819-20150818-story.html

>>Yale Bowl is set to undergo a number of cosmetic changes intended to turn the football stadium into more of a multiuse facility for the campus... ... At the conclusion of the 2015 football season, Yale's plan is for its grass field to be replaced with an artificial surface. <<

>>A portable bubble roof, estimated to be 65-feet tall, will also be installed along with low-level lighting. The bubble roof would not be up for football games, but would be installed after the season and removed before the season.

This will help turn the historic facility into a place Yale's football team, as well its lacrosse and soccer teams, can practice. In the case of lacrosse and soccer, it could provide another venue to play games. The university also plans to use it for intramurals and non-athletic functions, parties and fundraisers.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom