OT: Remembering 9/11 | The Boneyard

OT: Remembering 9/11

Reaction Score
I was in Manhattan on 9/11/01 when the towers went down. I wasn't a victim and didn't experience any personal loss, but it was an experience that can never, and should never, be forgotten. At that time my son and I had a limited Yankee season ticket package for 16 weekend games or something, so we would spend a lot of weekends in NYC, driving down or taking the train down from CT. It turned out this package entitled us to tickets to one game of each post-season series, so we returned to NY about once a week for 3 weeks, the last being the World Series game where President Bush came out in public (to throw out the first pitch) for the first time since the 9/11 event. It was pretty intense with the football-field-sized American flag, a bald eagle flying out from center field during the National Anthem (sung by that FDNY opera singer), Mayor Giuliani sitting by the Yankees dugout, etc. And each time we came down for a playoff game we would go down to the WTC site in the morning, pay our respects at the fences around the wreckage that were full of flowers people were laying on them.

Last week I visited the 9/11 Memorial for the first time. Went to the underground museum, went to the top of the Freedom Tower, all that stuff, but the memorial park was the most awesome - 2 huge fountains in the outlines of the original foundations of the two buildings, with the names of the victims inscribed in bronze around the edges. If you haven't seen this, you need to do it.

911 Memorial 083117.jpg

Reaction Score
Like it was yesterday... I know of people who were lost, and people who were miraculously saved, and people who were heroes, and people who displayed incredible kindness and love for their fellow humans.

The memorial is very profound. I was working very nearby last year and just saw the outside, which moved me too. But my wife had time for a "quick trip" to the museum but then stayed several hours. I'm hoping to get back to it also.

Reaction Score
Like it was yesterday... I know of people who were lost, and people who were miraculously saved, and people who were heroes, and people who displayed incredible kindness and love for their fellow humans.

The memorial is very profound. I was working very nearby last year and just saw the outside, which moved me too. But my wife had time for a "quick trip" to the museum but then stayed several hours. I'm hoping to get back to it also.

BAGS: yes, as if it was yesterday on this day of memory and tribute. Thank you. So well said as usual.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom