OT Red Sox or Yankees fan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Red Sox or Yankees fan?

Reaction Score
Yankee fan since the M&M boys had the home run tournament. I still don't understand why Roger was never really embraced by the fans. Today players come and go every couple of years. I was at the stadium and saw Mickey "check swing" a ball into the right field seats. Good memories.

Reaction Score
My wife is a Yankees fan, and her favorite memory is going to Yankees games versus the hated Red Sox with her late Father [who died before we met at the young age of 45, still playing baseball until a year before he lost his battle with Esophageal cancer.

My youngest son and I are Red Sox fans. Best memory is watching the Red Sox win the 2013 Series vs. St Louis with his "adopted" grandfather at Frank's house. Frank played competitive ball until his early sixties, and was a very funny man until his death six years ago at the age of 87. Frank and my dad were both born in 1929.

Reaction Score
60 miles from Philly, 90 from NY so a fan of both until the 1964 collapse by the Phils, so all-in for the Yankees ever since. My Dad taught me that if my team didn’t win you root for the team in your division, so in ‘67, ‘75 and ‘86 I was rooting for the Sox. That stopped in 2004 when I got bombarded with hate from the Sox fans who worked for me at the time. I was always hoping for my true friends, who thought they’d go to their graves without a World Serise win, to experience what I had many times and for them in ‘04 I was happy. The rest, well we’ll leave that be.

sun

Reaction Score
When I was a little kid I rooted for the Yankees but not anymore.
Back then a baseball card of a Yankees player used to be a treasure.
I knew all of the Yankees players but didn't care much for Mickey Mantle because Roger Maris was my hero.
Their HR competition spilled over into our Yankees neighborhood fandom about who was the better player.
I stopped rooting for the Yankees soon after they traded Maris to the Cardinals.
I didn't hate them but just stopped rooting for them under most circumstances.

I'm a diehard Twins fans because my dad rooted for them.
He said, "Always root for the underdog." Plus he was born & raised in North Dakota.
The Twins were originally the Washington Senators, one of the original charter teams of the American League.
My favorite baseball moment is probably Game 7 of the 1991 World Series when Jack Morris pitched the complete 10 inning shutout against the Braves winning 1-0.
He made 122 pitches, which at that time was the longest extra inning WS game 7 since the Senators won the 1924 WS against the NY Giants in 12 innings by a score of 4-3.

When the Red Sox play the Yankees I generally root for the Red Sox, especially because Big Papi David Ortiz played for the Twins before he played for the Red Sox.
And it helped that my wife is a Yankees fan who loved Jeter, and I could really get under her skin by rooting for the Red Sox.
And Johnny Damon and Pedro.

The Twins were lucky that I didn't stop rooting for them after they traded Rod Carew to the Angels.
In 1977 Carew hit .388, and stole home 17 times in his career.
Carew went to high school in NYC but didn't play high school baseball.
The Twins discovered him playing semi-pro baseball in the Bronx of all places and signed him up.
I don't know how the Yankees ever missed signing Carew right out of NYC.
That must be the biggest Yankees blunder in history.
Go Twins!

Reaction Score
Im a Yankee fan in a family full of Red Sox fans... My dad was a Red Sox lover and never lived long enough to see them win a world championship. My Kids (3 out of 4 ) are Red Sox fans . Like Old dude, I grew up idolizing Mickey Mantle...but a little earlier than him...it was more of a 1950's period when he was at his prime. Most of my older grandkids are Red Sox fans like their parents, so I still remain a pariah in the family.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Love these memories. Thank you. The podcast examines both sides of the rivalry, although we are Sox fans. Let us know what you think. We’ve done 50 episodes, since my son was 7.
Mainly, MLB, UConn, & NBA themes.

Reaction Score
60 miles from Philly, 90 from NY so a fan of both until the 1964 collapse by the Phils, so all-in for the Yankees ever since. My Dad taught me that if my team didn’t win you root for the team in your division, so in ‘67, ‘75 and ‘86 I was rooting for the Sox. That stopped in 2004 when I got bombarded with hate from the Sox fans who worked for me at the time. I was always hoping for my true friends, who thought they’d go to their graves without a World Serise win, to experience what I had many times and for them in ‘04 I was happy. The rest, well we’ll leave that be.

You mean the collapse against the Red Sox didn’t sway you again!!??

Reaction Score
Red Sox. When you’re a central CT kid who didn’t care about baseball in the least and you go to UMass Amherst in 2000 and people are throwing flaming furniture out of 20+ floor dorm windows during the playoffs, you quickly choose the path of safety.

Also, Tim Wakefield was a pretty nice guy to root for.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here’s another Red Sox memory. Right after the John Henry group took over ownership the team was away on Father’s Day so they invited fans to come to the park in and play catch out on the field. My dad and I and my son went out and had a blast. Over the speakers they were playing the soundtracks from The Natural and Field of Dreams. It was a really nice moment.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Well, there are the Yankees. Then there is what is laughingly called 'Major League' baseball. Oh, and there is a Triple A team that plays in some bandbox called Fenway Park.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
When younger used to be a die hard Yankee fan. Have to admit I'm now a fair weather fan and I'm following the Yanks more often this year as it appears they have a chance to make it to the World Series. Great Pitching and the Yankee hitters seem to be more patient at bat.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I have one other memory. Going to Yankee stadium in the luxury box seats (company owned) and watching Don Mattingly hit a grand slam against the Sox. It always makes me sad he never won a Championship

I got to see a lot of games in that luxury box and it was awesome.

Reaction Score
Life long Red Sox fan. My parents took my younger brother and me to Fenway and walking up the ramp to the field was the most beautiful site I had ever seen. 2004 best memory for me. Said younger brother was in DC at the time and we “watched” the end of the series clincher over the phone together. It was a special moment for me for sure. My husband is a Yankees fan so I had to listen to him till 2004, but since then he hasn’t had much to say. He’s wrong about most things anyway!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Keep those game memories coming. Fun to read. This baseball rivalry pod has now broken our single day listens record. Could it surpass our Coach Calhoun pod??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry but I have one other memory. Going to Yankee stadium in the luxury box seats (company owned) and watching Don Mattingly hit a grand slam against the Sox. It always makes me sad he never won a Championship

I got to see a lot of games in that luxury box and it was awesome.
While I was going to school my roommate and I decided to take in the Phillies game. We got there and saw a box was empty so we went down and sat in it. By random coincidence the name on the box was my roommate’s last name. He looked at me and laughed. Not long afterwards security wandered over to roust us out and my roommate taps the name on the box and holds up his Massachusetts drivers license. Amazingly, that worked. A few minutes later a waitress came over we ordered a couple of beers and some food and my roommate, flushed with his success a minute earlier, asked if he could charge it to the box. She laughed at us and said no. Still, it was a good time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm actually shocked that there are more Yankee fans chiming in here than Sox fans. Still, too many of both I'd say. Let's go Mets!

Reaction Score
1967 Redsox. We didn't have much TV coverage of them in Maine, with basically one or 2 TV stations in our area at the time, so i listened to them on the radio. I was a 12 year old little league all star at the time hitting around 700 or so and I thought baseball was such a cool sport and I discovered the Redsox that year which made it even cooler. I listened to probably every game over the 2nd half of that season and the entire team was a great young group of emerging players who were dead last the year before. And Yaz was nothing less than super human that year. I still get emotional thinking about it and it literally brings tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm weird but I lived and died on that team that year. They didn't win the pennant until the last day and Yaz was 6-6 in a double header if I remember correctly. I was a little kid who cared about basically nothing but the Redsox. And Yaz was my super hero.

Reaction Score
1967 Redsox. We didn't have much TV coverage of them in Maine, with basically one or 2 TV stations in our area at the time, so i listened to them on the radio. I was a 12 year old little league all star at the time hitting around 700 or so and I thought baseball was such a cool sport and I discovered the Redsox that year which made it even cooler. I listened to probably every game over the 2nd half of that season and the entire team was a great young group of emerging players who were dead last the year before. And Yaz was nothing less than super human that year. I still get emotional thinking about it and it literally brings tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm weird but I lived and died on that team that year. They didn't win the pennant until the last day and Yaz was 6-6 in a double header if I remember correctly. I was a little kid who cared about basically nothing but the Redsox. And Yaz was my super hero.
Did you have the impossible dream season album the Red Sox put out?? Wish I still had it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom