OT Red Sox or Yankees fan? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Red Sox or Yankees fan?

Reaction Score
Did you have the impossible dream season album the Red Sox put out?? Wish I still had it.
I think I still have it somewhere. Probably all scratched to heck though. My albums have been in storage for 30 years now.

Reaction Score
Well, there are the Yankees. Then there is what is laughingly called 'Major League' baseball. Oh, and there is a Triple A team that plays in some bandbox called Fenway Park.
Double A

Reaction Score
OT but related … was looking for buy a gift card for a Yankees game for my daughter teacher. I didn’t want to lock her into a date.
Any ideas of how to do that??? Thanks in advance

Reaction Score
Now, this is a subject that I like to discuss. In the late 40's and 50's I really liked Boston and New York equally because of radio, Ted Williams and Joe Dimagio. Then the Yankees because of Mantle, Maris, Berra, Skowron, Richardson, Kubek, Rizzuto, Ford, Raishe, Lopat, etc. I like UConn baseball in 63 and 64 because I played on the team.

Today, I do not care for baseball at all because of the high priced prema donnas playing the game.

My favorite team today is the Albuquerque Dukes, AAA team. I like to sit either behind the catcher or on the third base line.

Reaction Score
Back in the old days the Waterbury Spirit used to run a special, 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, and 4 sodas for $20. A fun Sunday afternoon. Can't beat the price. Unfortunately none of the locals supported the team. Maybe the price was too high for them?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Highlanders family since they got the name. bombers or bust is our motto. lol.
2nd fav memory, 9/23/07.
having sat at almost every locale in the stadium previously, we score tix for a new one, that section behind the wall in left center, where u looked thru a cutout window in the wall. to get there, u walked down a small set of stairs coming from the left field side, and onto a patch of concrete containing 20 or so folding chairs. after that, going toward rf, was the bullpen walkway to the field, with the bullpen on the other side of it. i think it was joba's dad who was disabled and mostly lived in a super wheel chair. he was there, as well as some central American diplomat who the announcers welcomed. of course, given the ability there to stand by the walkway, we were hoping to see Mariano the Great pass by, but Joba got the call. also cool. as luck would have it, it became joba's first career save. strange dynamic sitting there.

1st fav memory, 5/19/2009.
bro calls and sez 'let's go to the new stadium, ur boy CC is pitching.' first time at the new one, first time watching cc live. now, everything is soooo different. everything. top notch, first class all around. as we settle into our seats freakin barco loungers, and take it all in, we realize that we're in some kind of 'branded' section, with the amenities (food, restrooms, waitstaff, etc) all locked in to it. we thought 'whoa, this is sweet. i could get used to this...'
cc gave up just a few hits, Yanks won, and we were impressed by the changes. big time. Joba was the fourth starter that season as the Yanks won the series.

on another note, and as a longtime baseball fan, i learned long ago that 2 guys occupy a huge portion of mental space for fans of their teams. huge, and demonstrated again in this thread. the old marine (hank bauer), and the even bigger territory owned by the one known as 'dewey.' i get the marine thing, with many soldiers and ww2 being part of the culture in the 1950s, but the New England Dewey thing is on another level completely. that guy could win first selectman for any town in the region today. wasn't there so i don't know why, but the dewey thing is pretty cool. he must have paid everyone's phone bill or something like that back in that day. i think that the deeper u get into the hills and vales of New England, the stronger the deweymania thing is.
i bet that a movie titled 'the legend of dewey' would be a blockbuster around these parts. what he play, like 50 years ago? amazing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
upon further review, mebbe the donny baseball thing is like the dewey thing. neither guy was a ws champ, yet many fans still carry the torch for them, tho i don't think the donny baseball thing is as big as the dewey thing. i guess that i'll have to do another 'poll of the world' to find out.
let's play two!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
in a time obsessed world, beisbol is great cuz there is no clock.
wave ur hands in the air like
u don't care...

iffn u drink a quart of hooch, smoke an ounce or so, and squint your eyes just right, that symbol on his jacket sort of looks like the bombers logo...sort of.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Red Sox fan. Was nominally a Royals fan when my family moved to CT when I was not quite 5. The kids I met were all Red Sox fans and so my path was clear. Honestly don't recall any Yankee fans in Manchester. There must have been some.

Great memories of Rice, Lynn and Evans and those 70s teams. The 1978 Red Sox are still the best Red Sox team I've seen. In 1986 I was at UConn and learned that Mets fans exist (I think most were just Yankee fans). Had never encountered a Mets fan and for the life of me can't understand why anybody would choose them. Then the demons were exercised in 2004.

The 2022 Sox have been maddeningly bizarre. Worst team in the AL at one point. Now in the playoff hunt again and playing well. Sort of like the Celtics. Sadly, the Yankees look awfully good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Red Sox since I was a kid in the late 50's. Favorite memory has to be seeing Ted Williams hit a HR in 1960, his last year. I heard the crack of the bat, and we just knew it was gone. Like Beemer, I also adored Carl Yaz. I batted left and threw right and also copied his stance. Or maybe he copied me, let me see if I still have a pic of me in 1959 batting in Little League. In '59 I was at the ripe ol age of 10.
That picture is outstanding.

Reaction Score
Yankees. Favorite moment in October of 1998 I'm getting drunk with my friends hours before midnight madness at UConn and my Red Sox buddy (RIP) from my hometown we're partying with tells me and my Yankees friends he has 4 tickets for us for tomorrow night for game 1 of the World Series. He tells us his mom is friends with Daryl Strawberry's wife and all we have to do is drive to a gas station in Yonkers to pick them up from Mrs. Strawberry, what???

Next day we have our directions and our name to drop and we're on our trek to Yonkers on very little sleep wondering what the heck is going on. We get to our stop and we now have tickets in hand. As we're back on the highway something happens to my buddy's wagon and the car is making awful noises but we somehow make it to the stadium. We get to our seats and we're sitting right next to Shane Spencer's family and all the other player wives and family are around us...

Yankees playing a fairly sluggish game until the 7th where they're down 5-2 with one out. They get a couple of runners on and then Knoblauch hits a 3 run homer to tie it and the stadium goes bananas. It's now bases loaded with 2 outs in the 7th with Tino at the plate and he hits a grand slam and the stadium erupts. I'm celebrating with my best friends and the players wives, the building is shaking and it's all out mayhem. Still the loudest I've ever heard it at a sporting event.

Many months later UConn beats Duke for their first championship and I'm running around Storrs like a maniac. Nothing will ever touch that year as a sports fan. That Yankees team and that UConn team are historically great. They made that year a blur for me but the memories will last a lifetime.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Red Sox fan. Was nominally a Royals fan when my family moved to CT when I was not quite 5. The kids I met were all Red Sox fans and so my path was clear. Honestly don't recall any Yankee fans in Manchester. There must have been some.

Great memories of Rice, Lynn and Evans and those 70s teams. The 1978 Red Sox are still the best Red Sox team I've seen. In 1986 I was at UConn and learned that Mets fans exist (I think most were just Yankee fans). Had never encountered a Mets fan and for the life of me can't understand why anybody would choose them. Then the demons were exercised in 2004.

The 2022 Sox have been maddeningly bizarre. Worst team in the AL at one point. Now in the playoff hunt again and playing well. Sort of like the Celtics. Sadly, the Yankees look awfully good.
I can assure you that no real Yankee fan would ever masquerade as a Met fan.

I can also assure you that (at least among those of us down here, within the general age group that I am) there was nowhere near the animosity towards the Red Sox from Yankee fans that there was (likely still is) towards the Yankees from Red Sox fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Most of my memories pre-2004 are brutal. I was just at Red Rock Tavern last night. Last time I was there it was called Kenney's and it was the last inning of the 19846 WS Game 6. I clearly remember 2 old ladies hugging, saying they were finally going to see the Sox win it all. I wanted to pull them apart saying we still have one more strike to go. I doubt either were still around 18 years later.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Most of my memories pre-2004 are brutal. I was just at Red Rock Tavern last night. Last time I was there it was called Kenney's and it was the last inning of the 1984 WS Game 6. I clearly remember 2 old ladies hugging, saying they were finally going to see the Sox win it all. I wanted to pull them apart saying we still have one more strike to go. I doubt either were still around 18 years later.
I think you meant 86 but other than that I get the story.

I have one about a good friend from school (we were only out of college four years then). A group met that evening in Hartford (I missed it as I was at a wedding) and the one of the crew who was a Sox fan started celebrating after the first Mets out in the bottom of the second. He went silent shortly before the Sox blew the game and the rest of the group had to spend the rest of the night keeping him from doing something very stupid (and dangerous).

Normally in a series with a matchup like that (Yankees not involved) I would prefer seeing the AL team win but wouldn't be all that upset if they didn't. That year, after hearing from Met fans coming out of the woodwork in all directions, boasting about how great that team was I was as angry that the Sox lost as I would have been if it were the Yankees.

A few additional comments:

I was quite pleased with the lack of additional titles for that Mets team as it validated my stance that they were not a dominant team.

I still believe that the only reason they appeared dominant in the regular season was because the entire NL east rolled over and died by Memorial day that year.

If the Astros had any real offense they would have won the NL pennant.

Schiraldi and Stanley warrant far more blame than Buckner for the bottom of the tenth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom