OT Recommendations for BBQ in Columbia, SC area | The Boneyard

OT Recommendations for BBQ in Columbia, SC area

Reaction Score
Heading that way in a couple weeks. Flight lands in Charlotte and driving down to Columbia.

Any of our SC friends have a place that really recommend? Friend and I are big rib fans but if there’s a place that’s great and specializes in other bbq meat we will try it.

Thanks

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Not a BBQ place, however we had to do a back and forth trip somewhere and went there 2x. Creative food, farm to table, killer crafted cocktails

Reaction Score
Heading that way in a couple weeks. Flight lands in Charlotte and driving down to Columbia.

Any of our SC friends have a place that really recommend? Friend and I are big rib fans but if there’s a place that’s great and specializes in other bbq meat we will try it.

Thanks
FYI, in South Carolina “barbecue” as a noun means pulled pork. Any other form is only used as a descriptive adjective. If you ask a local for the best barbecue, they’re going to point you towards the best pulled pork, but the place may or may not even serve barbecued ribs.

I can’t help you with Columbia, because that’s not my part of the state. Maurice’s is probably the most well known, but I’m pretty confident it’s not the best. They’ve got a half-dozen locations around Columbia, and I know at least one of their sauces is mustard-based.

Unfortunately, Columbia probably has the least great dining options of any of the three historical cities of South Carolina. It’s the political center, but not the place you go for dining. Generally, Charleston is cultural center, Greenville business-focused.

Attachments

• 8E00D0BF-B55F-4CF6-B808-FF45063A5A79.jpeg
    8E00D0BF-B55F-4CF6-B808-FF45063A5A79.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 82
Reaction Score
There are three styles found in Columbia:
Columbia original is Midlands BBQ from the original German settlers of the area. The sauce is mustard based. The names of the real places will be German like Bessingers, Quattlebaums, Bretons, etc etc.

I prefer low country style vinegar and pepper. Basted and cooked rather than a sauce (though the baste can be dipped in like a sauce)
Just look for anything advertised as low country BBQ.

Avoid upcountry BBQ. Ketchup based.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
There are three styles found in Columbia:
Columbia original is Midlands BBQ from the original German settlers of the area. The sauce is mustard based. The names of the real places will be German like Bessingers, Quattlebaums, Bretons, etc etc.

I prefer low country style vinegar and pepper. Basted and cooked rather than a sauce (though the baste can be dipped in like a sauce)
Just look for anything advertised as low country BBQ.

Avoid upcountry BBQ. Ketchup based.
As a Charlestonian, yes.. avoid like the PLAGUE. HAHAHAHA..

Reaction Score
I would recommend Home Team BBQ in Five Points in Columbia. Great food and the smoked wings are fantastic.

Reaction Score
Shealys in Lexington is good. Big Bros off farrow rd is good. Not sure if Hites (sp) is still open in West Columbia. Marurice's is still there but controversial history. I think Big Ts maybe still open off Garners Ferry road.

Reaction Score
Hope you like mustard on your pork.
We have both vinegar based (gag) and mustard based. I don't even acknowledge ketchup based as existing. Carolina Gold is a slightly sweet, tangy mustard based sauce. That's where it's at.

I will eat certain place's vinegar based in a pinch but it has to be a TIGHT pinch.

The one I wonder about is Alabama white sauce. Never gone to a place that even has that and I am not entirely sure I'd partake of it even if it was available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shealys in Lexington is good. Big Bros off farrow rd is good. Not sure if Hites (sp) is still open in West Columbia. Marurice's is still there but controversial history. I think Big Ts maybe still open off Garners Ferry road.
Hite's on Dreher Rd in West Cola is still open. Wish Jackie Hite's in Batesburg was still open. Much closer to Aiken and their buffet was chef's kiss.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We have both vinegar based (gag) and mustard based. I don't even acknowledge ketchup based as existing. Carolina Gold is a slightly sweet, tangy mustard based sauce. That's where it's at.

I will eat certain place's vinegar based in a pinch but it has to be a TIGHT pinch.

The one I wonder about is Alabama white sauce. Never gone to a place that even has that and I am not entirely sure I'd partake of it even if it was available.

I'm not here for the vinegar or ketchup base slander
20221005_235916.jpg

I am curious about the Alabama white sauce There are a few bbq places here in NC that have that, and if i get my paws and jaws on some.. Ill report my findings.

Reaction Score
If the meat is smoked correctly, you don't even need the sauce.

But if you want great sauce, whatever the base, add honey and cayenne. Folks bitching about vinegar is dumb, they all use vinegar, read some labels in the grocery store.

Reaction Score
If the meat is smoked correctly, you don't even need the sauce.

But if you want great sauce, whatever the base, add honey and cayenne. Folks bitching about vinegar is dumb, they all use vinegar, read some labels in the grocery store.
Carolina Gold sauce uses 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Vinegar based uses 2 cups apple cider vinegar.

If you don't see the difference that can make in taste, idk what to tell you.

Reaction Score

Shealy's is maybe an hour outside of Columbia in Batesburg.

BBQ in SC in many instances is synonymous with country buffet and certainly there are many good ones including shealy's.

Little Pigs on Alpine Road is probably my general Columbia recommendation. Palmetto Pig downtown has the best fried chicken in town. Doc's near the stadium is serviceable.

You can get a good pulled pork sandwich at Piggy Park but my as well get the full experience in the Cayce location.

Hudsons in Lexington is also serviceable.

I admittedly don't really see a big difference in pulled pork on a Buffett. Pretty binary to me.

Reaction Score
I prefer vinegar base, because I'm not a monster, but it's possible to over do it. One of the few ways pulled pork can fail to reliever the minimum expectation.

Tomato is trash. Mustard is pretty good on the rare occasion if you like your Q to taste like candy.

Reaction Score
Carolina Gold sauce uses 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Vinegar based uses 2 cups apple cider vinegar.

If you don't see the difference that can make in taste, idk what to tell you.
Find one BBQ sauce that doesn't have some form of vinegar in it, not going to happen. It is the preservative in almost all of them. Apple cider vinegar is still vinegar, just add a rotten apple taste to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom