OT: Racist tweets at hockey player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Racist tweets at hockey player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ever hear of Bill Russell? Ask him what he thinks of Boston fans IN GENERAL. Check this out:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4289/black-athletes-have-long-seen-boston-as-racist

Of course not every Boston fan is a racist. But that doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the stereotype. I won't prejudge any individual Boston fan but I still believe most of them fit the stereotype. Sorry but there is reason why other New Englanders call them Mas.

Bill Russell played up there in the 1960s, at a time when the Celts were the first and only all black starting five. Yes, Boston was very racist back then, but in the Southeast, you couldn't even play if you were black.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'm a huge sports fan. I live in the Boston area and work in Boston. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone use the N word in the 15 years I've been up here. To say Boston is racist based upon a few schmucks on Twitter is beyond irrational.

Not generalizing here, just speaking out about my personal experiences, I visited and lived in many parts of the country, and believe it or not but I've never been subjeected to as much racism as I did while visiting Boston. It blew my mind, and this is coming from someone who's lived in the sticks of the deep south. I went up to Boston a second time, thinking it was just an aberration, possibly just a random "run in" with the wrong people, but wouldn't you know it, the same ish happened again, smh. Now I am in no way saying everyone in Boston is racist, and I certainly know that to be true, but I've never been around so many people at one time who have no filter when it comes to their feelings towards race. Boston is just a different type of city, atleast in my experiences and am not surprised one bit by those tweets.

Reaction Score
MOST Boston fans are racist? Are you mentally dumb? Seriously. Are you mentally dumb? Your proof is that (a) some athletes think Boston is racist and (b) your personal anecdotal evidence? Did I get that right?

I'm not from Boston, never lived there, etc. I do like the Red Sox. So am I a racist by association? Please tell, Mr. Social Scientist.

I offer a truce of Kate Upton's jiggling funbags

z.gif

Reaction Score
Not generalizing here, just speaking out about my personal experiences, I visited and lived in many parts of the country, and believe it or not but I've never been subjeected to as much racism as I did while visiting Boston. It blew my mind, and this is coming from someone who's lived in the sticks of the deep south. I went up to Boston a second time, thinking it was just an aberration, possibly just a random "run in" with the wrong people, but wouldn't you know it, the same ish happened again, smh. Now I am in no way saying everyone in Boston is racist, and I certainly know that to be true, but I've never been around so many people at one time who have no filter when it comes to their feelings towards race. Boston is just a different type of city, atleast in my experiences and am not surprised one bit by those tweets.
I'd be very curious where in Boston you experienced this. Maybe I'm just never in situations where I'm subjected to those type of people. Good thing.

Reaction Score
MOST Boston fans are racist? Are you mentally dumb? Seriously. Are you mentally dumb? Your proof is that (a) some athletes think Boston is racist and (b) your personal anecdotal evidence? Did I get that right?

I'm not from Boston, never lived there, etc. I do like the Red Sox. So am I a racist by association? Please tell, Mr. Social Scientist.

Well, aren't we being an oversensitive today! Did that hit too close to home? I lived in southie, champ. Being Italian is reason enough for being treated like crap there, nevermind being black. If this wasn't somewhat true, you wouldn't be so upset. For example, I am amused you are calling me dumb. I was attending MIT when I was living in southie. I will grant you that most people in Boston would be better described as as than racists but, really, quite a few of them are both.

Reaction Score
Bill Russell played up there in the 1960s, at a time when the Celts were the first and only all black starting five. Yes, Boston was very racist back then, but in the Southeast, you couldn't even play if you were black.

The Red Sox were the last team to have a black player and regularly traded their top black talent away until the 1970's to have a pretty much white team. They were pretty much known as a racist organization until then.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox were the last team to have a black player and regularly traded their top black talent away until the 1970's to have a pretty much white team. They were pretty much known as a racist organization until then.

Which ignores that the celtics and bruins basically broke the color barrier in their respective sports. The Patriots were one of the AFL teams who thrived by drafting black players that the NFL wouldn't touch. I also,believe the Celtics had the first black coach in all major north American sports, if not the NBA.

You are painting with the same broad brush that others are by using one organization to classify the whole landscape.

Reaction Score
Turned on WEEI and 98.5 this morning looking for NFL draft talk and both were discussing this at some level. They were going through the twitter accounts of the offenders and the findings were:

a. Most were not from Boston but the tweets originated from literally all over North America.

b. Most had no indication that they were even Bruins fans from previous tweets and/or their profiles.

The "easy" story here is "African American hockey player scores a goal to eliminate Boston in Boston. He receives racist tweets, therefore Boston is back to where it was in the late 60's." Some research being done indicates that this is actually a pretty large leap.

Reaction Score

And so?

Reaction Score
Well, aren't we being an oversensitive today! Did that hit too close to home? I lived in southie, champ. Being Italian is reason enough for being treated like crap there, nevermind being black. If this wasn't somewhat true, you wouldn't be so upset. For example, I am amused you are calling me dumb. I was attending MIT when I was living in southie. I will grant you that most people in Boston would be better described as as than racists but, really, quite a few of them are both.

I'm not surprised about Southie, but...

... isn't every city like this. There are no go areas for cities in the USA. This is true of LA, NYC, Chicago, where I live in Buffalo, and that's for many races. And there are integrated areas as well. Go up to Brighton/Allston, it's a lot more integrated than Southie or Jamaica Plain. The same goes for NYC as well.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

What could possibly hit close to home for me? I'm not from Boston, never lived there. I'm not Irish, not Italian, not from any ethnic group stereotyped as being racist. I just found your post (and a couple others in this thread) to be mindboggingly stupid. I enjoy pointing out stupidity, even if its directed at or insulting someone else.

"MOST BOSTON FANS ARE RACIST" is simply one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life. And Upstater just pointed out how dumb your "I lived in Southie" argument is, so I won't elaborate. If you did in fact graduate from high school some time, perhaps your increasingly intense fascination with John Calipari has rotted your brain somehow.

Reaction Score
What could possibly hit close to home for me? I'm not from Boston, never lived there. I'm not Irish, not Italian, not from any ethnic group stereotyped as being racist. I just found your post (and a couple others in this thread) to be mindboggingly stupid. I enjoy pointing out stupidity, even if its directed at or insulting someone else.

"MOST BOSTON FANS ARE RACIST" is simply one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life. And Upstater just pointed out how dumb your "I lived in Southie" argument is, so I won't elaborate. If you did in fact graduate from high school some time, perhaps your increasingly intense fascination with John Calipari has rotted your brain somehow.

I enjoy it too, idiot...see how easy that is. And what does Calipari have to do with this or is that your lame attempt at being cute or witty? You suck at it, in case you didn't know. And upstater didn't point out anything relevant to this subject. As I have already pointed out, I misspoke when I said most Boston fans are racist. Most of them are as. You know, like you. Many of them are racist too. That is why they have a reputation. You saying it isn't deserved doesn't make it so.

Reaction Score
I enjoy it too, idiot...see how easy that is. And what does Calipari have to do with this or is that your lame attempt at being cute or witty? You suck at it, in case you didn't know. And upstater didn't point out anything relevant to this subject. As I have already pointed out, I misspoke when I said most Boston fans are racist. Most of them are as. You know, like you. Many of them are racist too. That is why they have a reputation. You saying it isn't deserved doesn't make it so.

That's not why they have a reputation.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
....And it is now revealed that the person who posted the racist tweets was a student from ECSU!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Really showing your true colors. Ugly.

Reaction Score
I'm glad other people noticed this too! I'm glad they attached the names, racists should be mocked.
Moving forward, UConn athletics should redo the current husky logo to resemble your sig line photo. Just a thought

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Moving forward, UConn athletics should redo the current husky logo to resemble your sig line photo. Just a thought

I think it's actually a Wolf. At least that's what I was going for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom