OT: Quick Break. New Words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Our language continues to evolve. I recently learned a couple new ones:

- An emoji :) is what we used to call an emoticon :(

- That creepy little print update (news, sports, etc.) that crawls along the bottom of your TV screen is called a chyron. (BTW, the "ch" takes a "k" sound.;))
Any new ones you want to add?

GO!

Reaction Score
Everybody writes LOL. I don't know whether it's lots of luck or laughing out loud.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
meme
15l4w6.jpg

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

- That creepy little print update (news, sports, etc.) that crawls along the bottom of your TV screen is called a chyron. (BTW, the "ch" takes a "k" sound.;))

GO!

One I forgot: app. This useful little word is in widespread use - daily and hourly by millions. But when I Googled "dictionary app" I learned it's a medical or literary abbreviation for appendix.

DOH!:confused:

Reaction Score

GO!
I have no problem with some of the new words and none to add. ;) Not trying to change the direction of a good thread but I have a problem with words no longer used pertaining to the sport of basketball.
Palming and carrying are no longer called... anything. :confused: Traveling while rampant in the woman's game a few decades ago and not called, is now in check due to the vast ball handling improvement of the players. Officials now call it when appropriate. On the men's side traveling is only used in reference to a team going on the road. :D

Reaction Score
ZOMG! (OMG with emphasis). I think you need to be under 16 to stay current.

Reaction Score
Chyron? Really? Back when I was in TV (admittedly a long time ago) Chyron referred to a company that manufactured TV graphics. Still does, apparently. It also referred to the product, so in a TV control room (at least where I worked) a "chyron" was the graphic that was displayed as well as the device that displayed it. Thinking that it must have changed, I Googled the term and discovered that it pretty much remains the same. It can be the company, the generic lower-third graphic, or the words superimposed on the screen. All can be a "chyron."

But the word has been around in the TV world since the 80s. I'm surprised it's emerging into general usage at all.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Chyron? Really? Back when I was in TV (admittedly a long time ago) Chyron referred to a company that manufactured TV graphics. Still does, apparently. It also referred to the product, so in a TV control room (at least where I worked) a "chyron" was the graphic that was displayed as well as the device that displayed it. Thinking that it must have changed, I Googled the term and discovered that it pretty much remains the same. It can be the company, the generic lower-third graphic, or the words superimposed on the screen. All can be a "chyron."

But the word has been around in the TV world since the 80s. I'm surprised it's emerging into general usage at all.

Good post. You beat me to it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Chyron? Really? Back when I was in TV (admittedly a long time ago) Chyron referred to a company that manufactured TV graphics.
Oh, and the thing that crawls along the bottom of the screen --unless the terminology has changed since my time -- is actually called a "crawl."

I spotted "chryon" in a news article in the NY Times. Never saw it before. The context implied that it was a new word for the "crawl." So I googled it and learned that it could be a crawling graphic or a stationary one superimposed on the screen. And yes, its name is derived from that Chryon company.

Reaction Score
I think the Times reporter was trying to show off, and if so, he/she probably misused it, or at least was imprecise in its usage. That happens a lot. While I am it it...
(warning!!! rant about to begin.....)

there is a common word that increasingly is being misused and I am predicting that the misuse will become so common that the word will be redefined, which will be a damn shame. The word is "includes."

Back when words meant what they meant, we used "includes" to say that we were enumerating some (but not all) of something. For example: "The southern states include Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia." Obviously, this is some, but not all, of them. If we wanted to say the list was complete, we would use "comprises" or "comprising", or just "The southern states are..." and be done with it.

Now, all too often I see a complete enumeration of a set of things, with the word "includes" in front of it, as in: "The original U.S. colonies included..." and then a complete list of all of them.

This is a bad idea because in the old, clearer world, if the reader saw "includes," he/she knew the list was partial. Now, if this takes hold -- and it seems to be doing so -- the reader has no idea whether the list is complete or not. Maybe it is, and maybe not. And a word that has a precise meaning will have lost its precision, and writers and readers will be the real losers.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
there is a common word that increasingly is being misused. The word is "includes." . . . . because in the old, clearer world, if the reader saw "includes," he/she knew the list was partial. Now, if this takes hold -- and it seems to be doing so -- the reader has no idea whether the list is complete or not.

You are correct. Simple solution: Use "includes" before a partial list and "comprises" to precede a complete list.

Reaction Score
How are these new words? They've always been words, haven't they? Or have they just recently been added to the dictionary?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
How are these new words? They've always been words, haven't they? Or have they just recently been added to the dictionary?

They are certainly new to me, and likely to many others. Though I see "app" used ubiquitously it hasn't yet appeared in online dictionaries. So it meets a reasonable "new" standard.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
app = application

"prolly" never see "app" as a word but Im sure they'll let it in sooner than later

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
app = application

"prolly" never see "app" as a word but Im sure they'll let it in sooner than later

Good point. Just a guess, but it seems to me that the manner "app" is used, it sppears to mean "contact" (n. or v.).

My best guess.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Can I admit I asked that question not too many years ago at the Verizon store? I had just taken over my wife's old "smart phone", my first as I kept my "dumb phone" when she had previously upgraded, and the clerk started babbling (to me, at least) about Apps. My wife looked at me like I was some kind of stupid, but I never had gotten that connection "app = program".

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
They are certainly new to me, and likely to many others. Though I see "app" used ubiquitously it hasn't yet appeared in online dictionaries. So it meets a reasonable "new" standard.

Merriam-Webster lists two meanings for app. The first is application (and actually dates from 1987) and the second is as an abbreviation. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Merriam-Webster lists two meanings for app. The first is application (and actually dates from 1987) and the second is as an abbreviation. :)

Good catch and thanks. It seems to me that current use of "app" is meant to signify "contact" (n. or v.). This is strictly my personal opinion, certainly not an attempt to overrule the authoritative Merriam-Webster.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Good catch and thanks. It seems to me that current use of "app" is meant to signify "contact" (n. or v.). This is strictly my personal opinion, certainly not an attempt to overrule the authoritative Merriam-Webster.

I'm not sure I've heard it used in that way. Care to expand on that?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've heard it used in that way. Care to expand on that?

Sure. When written (online or on phones) a user seeking information is provided with an "app" (link or point of contact) to obtain what is sought.
- My wife uses "apps" to get bank balance or airline schedules.
- I use different "apps" to obtain weather forecasts or ball scores.​

OK?:)

mr006

Reaction Score
"App" seemed to me to simply be an "application" on mobile devices (which are much more prominent nowadays), though they have now expanded backwards to larger computers thanks to the mobile-inspired Windows 8 and later. The words (like computers and attention spans) get smaller and smaller (see also the word "za" :)).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"App" seemed to me to simply be an "application" on mobile devices (which are much more prominent nowadays), though they have now expanded backwards to larger computers thanks to the mobile-inspired Windows 8 and later. The words (like computers and attention spans) get smaller and smaller (see also the word "za" :)).

OK. I am not going to grit my teeth over this. bth_surrender.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak