OT: Question for the Streaming People... | The Boneyard

OT: Question for the Streaming People...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I apologize for the ignorance behind this question... So the YES Network just got added to Sling TV. I signed up for a 7 day free trial to see how it all works. So if I keep it (which I imagine I will) to watch the Sling service on my TV would require a streaming device, correct? Do you need a "streamer" for every TV in the house? I'd also need an antenna to get the locals, right?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction Score
Unless you have smart TV's that have a SlingTV app you would need a different streaming device for each TV you want to watch SlingTV on (unless you wanted to move the device from room to room).

As for which streaming device to use, I've had a Roku 3 ($99) for a few years and couldn't be happier. If you wanted to go cheaper, Roku has the Stick ($29) or there's the Google Chromecast ($29) but I couldn't tell you anything about them.

Whatever streaming device you buy, just make sure it has a SlingTV app.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Unless you have smart TV's that have a SlingTV app you would need a different streaming device for each TV you want to watch SlingTV on (unless you wanted to move the device from room to room).

As for which streaming device to use, I've had a Roku 3 ($99) for a few years and couldn't be happier. If you wanted to go cheaper, Roku has the Stick ($29) or there's the Google Chromecast ($29) but I couldn't tell you anything about them.

Whatever streaming device you buy, just make sure it has a SlingTV app.

Roku stick is ok, if you have a USB port that isn't obstructed. I had a Vizio TV where it couldn't seat properly. That said, between the smart TVs, apps on Blu-Ray players and my XBox One, I really never use Roku.

Reaction Score
I use the Roku Stick and it gets the job done. Can be sluggish at times, I hear the Roku 3 is alot smoothers.
1. makes sure your internet service is quick.
2. yes you need some kind of device like the ones mentioned above (I too would recommend Roku).
3. Like HuskyHawk said before careful with USB sticks, if its in an awkard place it may not fit (mine barely fits its in the back of my tv stick out in the direction of the wall. Its mainly a problem for me because my tv is mounted to the wall).
4. If you are getting rid of cable altogether, yes i would recommend getting a digital antenna, give you channels for free.
5. If you are doing it to get a lower rate than you do with cable, make sure you arent adding on a bunch of things that make it just as expensive if not more (if you get Amazon, and Hulu, and Netflix, and Sling Tv, ect... it adds up really quickly).
6. Make sure the services you are going to have streaming services with cover all the shows you feel like you cannot live without. When you find out you cant watch one of your fav shows anymore when you are sitting down and ready for action, you'll be pissed off.
7. Like mentioned above, alot of Smart TVs come with built in apps, that can save you some money on steaming devices. 1 of my tvs has a roku, the other has built in apps that work for the room its in.

Thats all i can think of.

Reaction Score
I watch Sling in my Roku streaming stick. It's a good alternative to paying the cable co 50 plus a month. The only complaint is that the feed sometimes freezes, that may be due to a network lag and not Sling, not sure.

We have a good router and it's not too far from the tv.

Sling has a lot of add in features, which makes it truly a la carte. The days of paying a premium for cable services is gone for good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I watch Sling in my Roku streaming stick. It's a good alternative to paying the cable co 50 plus a month. The only complaint is that the feed sometimes freezes, that may be due to a network lag and not Sling, not sure.

We have a good router and it's not too far from the tv.

Sling has a lot of add in features, which makes it truly a la carte. The days of paying a premium for cable services is gone for good.
How much do you pay for your bandwidth?

Reaction Score
How much do you pay for your bandwidth?

We pay Comcast 50 bucks for I think 9 Gigs, not sure. I was thinking about going with Frontier for their 20 per month promo, but I heard so many complaints about Frontier that I just left it alone

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I use the Amazon Fire TV Stick and am very happy with it. Works well, doesn't hang up and has lots of additional content outside of SlingTV which it supports.

Reaction Score
thanks for all the replies... Last and hugely important question. Sling does not (to my knowledge) have CBS Sports Network where many UConn games are broadcast. What's the option around this?

Reaction Score
thanks for all the replies... Last and hugely important question. Sling does not (to my knowledge) have CBS Sports Network where many UConn games are broadcast. What's the option around this?

I know that Sling sells an add on sports package. CBS may be included in that for 5 or 10 dollars more per month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom