OT: Pretending Women's BBall doesn't matter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Pretending Women's BBall doesn't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whatever point you're trying to make is unclear and chock full of generalizations. In the past, i have turned down free season tickets to the women's team at both HCC and Gampel. I don't care that they've won titles. I have no interest in going, or talking about them to other people and I don't think I'm alone.

But you will spend time posting about them? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Whatever the current feelings are about whether or not Women's bball is relevant or irrelevant - give the team their due. Eight championship for the University means a lot. The women support the men, and I saw & met the men's team in Hartford when the women played Baylor in February. If they can show support for one another, then I don't understand why we as fans can't do the same. No one is forcing anyone to watch the games, no one is forcing anyone to change their opinions. But we are all UCONN fans..and with that we should be united in our support of both squads when warranted.

Blast away! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Anecdotally, I was at a sports bar last night and the game wasn't even on. It was all MLB/NBA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think that "most fans" pretend it's irrelevant. I think most people, like myself, truly feel it's irrelevant.
I think that it is relevant that it is irrelevant to you!:)

Reaction Score
Women's BB is certainly a niche sport. Truth is, so is men's college basketball albeit the niche is much larger.

What is VERY RELEVANT about UConn women's basketball is the fact that it makes money. Hell, half the BCS football teams lose money. So UConn's women's basketball makes more money that half of the BCS football teams. That is the definition of relevant.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Women's BB is certainly a niche sport. Truth is, so is men's college basketball albeit the niche is much larger.

What is VERY RELEVANT about UConn women's basketball is the fact that it makes money. Hell, half the BCS football teams lose money. So UConn's women's basketball makes more money that half of the BCS football teams. That is the definition of relevant.
Nicely stated. You just have to love our egocentric viewpoints. What percentage of the world's population has any concern for men's bb or US college football or US professional football? If we want a particular thing that item has value for us. If we don't want a particular thing that item has no value for us. It just seems important for us to want to devalue items others value.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I enjoy the hell out of any UCONN team having success and its definitely heightened when they do so in a "major" sport, on national television and in front of millions of people. I took great joy out of last nights victory and could care less what others think. Regardless of your interest in womens hoop you have to agree its a real benefit to the university.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Few were interested in UConn's womens hoops until the Rebecca Lobo team. Heck, they made the final four before Rebecca arrived in Storrs and few really cared at that time.

This isn't so. I remember the growth well. The first final four team lit the spark. The Lobo team took it to a new level, but before then there was increased TV coverage of the regular season, for example. That doesn't happen if "few" were interested. The fan interest already present was a big reason why Rebecca arrived in the first place.

Reaction Score
There's no way in hell, a UConn women's basketball game on SNY drew higher ratings than American Idol on Fox.

Unless this is some informal poll you did at the Bristol Senior Center, then I call BS.
There's no way in hell, a UConn women's basketball game on SNY drew higher ratings than American Idol on Fox.

Unless this is some informal poll you did at the Bristol Senior Center, then I call BS.

I was just using American Idol as an example. I don't even have cable TV so I can't really speak to what's on.

As for SNY, yes SNY is a niche sports station in NY and the tri-state area. Those #s were for a part of its market. I thought that was obvious since I get SNY up here in NY but UConn is not regularly shown. SNY shows UConn mainly in Conn. though I'd assume the NYC market gets it too because of the huge number of homes in Ct. within NYC's market.

Reaction Score
I do find it funny that in all likelihood only 2 conferences will have more women's basketball championships than the AAC by the time Breanna Stewart graduates. And only one of those two is still actually a conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I was just using American Idol as an example. I don't even have cable TV so I can't really speak to what's on.

As for SNY, yes SNY is a niche sports station in NY and the tri-state area. Those #s were for a part of its market. I thought that was obvious since I get SNY up here in NY but UConn is not regularly shown. SNY shows UConn mainly in Conn. though I'd assume the NYC market gets it too because of the huge number of homes in Ct. within NYC's market.

I think SNY has a broader reach than just the tri state due to satellite tv.

I'm not even sure what this debate has come to though.

Do some people watch women's basketball nationally and do a lot of people watch it in CT? well, yeah.

I guess I just don't see your point about relevancy. I'm assuming you mean for television money and realignment?

That's where I don't see what you're trying to say.

We're the biggest brand, get the biggest ratings and were left out.

If it mattered even 5% in the scheme of things, you would have to assume we would be in.

I mean hell, if men's basketball mattered even a little bit more we would be in.

End of the day, it's all nice, but I fail to see where it helps us at all.

Reaction Score
I think SNY has a broader reach than just the tri state due to satellite tv.

I'm not even sure what this debate has come to though.

Do some people watch women's basketball nationally and do a lot of people watch it in CT? well, yeah.

I guess I just don't see your point about relevancy. I'm assuming you mean for television money and realignment?

That's where I don't see what you're trying to say.

We're the biggest brand, get the biggest ratings and were left out.

If it mattered even 5% in the scheme of things, you would have to assume we would be in.

I mean hell, if men's basketball mattered even a little bit more we would be in.

End of the day, it's all nice, but I fail to see where it helps us at all.

I get SNY in NY but not women's games. So yeah it's reach is limited.

That being said, being shown on ESPN, and on CBS Sports, and dominating SNY in your market, this brings in money.

"If it mattered even 5% in the scheme of things, you would have to assume we would be in."

For me, that's a wacky assumption. There are a variety of reasons UConn isn't in. But I don't think anyone has ever stated they should be in because women's bball is profitable and popular. No one made that case. So I'm not sure how you derived that.

I would say that women's bball is unequivocally relevant if a conference network wanted to add UConn. There is a lot f money to be made there, as you can see by UConn's contract with SNY, and the fact that UConn women's games are shown nationally.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I get SNY in NY but not women's games. So yeah it's reach is limited.

That being said, being shown on ESPN, and on CBS Sports, and dominating SNY in your market, this brings in money.

Ive watched UCONN womens games on SNY in Reno, Tahoe, Las Vegas and Dallas this year. All were on DirecTV. I find it hard to believe that it would be broadcast across the nation via DirecTV but not show in NYC. Does that really happen?

Reaction Score
Ive watched UCONN womens games on SNY in Reno, Tahoe, Las Vegas and Dallas this year. All were on DirecTV. I find it hard to believe that it would be broadcast across the nation via DirecTV but not show in NYC. Does that really happen?

Upstate NY. It's blacked out up here often, likely because of BE agreements and Cuse/Rutgers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For me, that's a wacky assumption. There are a variety of reasons UConn isn't in. But I don't think anyone has ever stated they should be in because women's bball is profitable and popular. No one made that case. So I'm not sure how you derived that.

I would say that women's bball is unequivocally relevant if a conference network wanted to add UConn. There is a lot f money to be made there, as you can see by UConn's contract with SNY, and the fact that UConn women's games are shown nationally.

What I'm saying is that, yes, we've been passed on for a variety of reasons, but the schools picked before haven't been so unequivocally better that the decision wasn't close.

What I'm saying is that if women's basketball had any sway or pull, and the realignment decisions have been close enough to warrant some thought, wouldn't it make sense the biggest brand in the sport would swing the decision in our favor?

The networks/conferences have passed on the biggest brand in the sport, doesn't that speak to.It's relevancy?

Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that, yes, we've been passed on for a variety of reasons, but the schools picked before haven't been so unequivocally better that the decision wasn't close.

What I'm saying is that if women's basketball had any sway or pull, and the realignment decisions have been close enough to warrant some thought, wouldn't it make sense the biggest brand in the sport would swing the decision in our favor?

The networks/conferences have passed on the biggest brand in the sport, doesn't that speak to.It's relevancy?

It was us versus Louisville last time out. FSU issued an ultimatum because of Louisville football. Case closed. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the score on that one, and whether we want to admit it or not, the national perception of UConn football compared to Ville football was low. It's hard to then say, look at Uconn's football record versus Louisville, look at the last game against them, look at the NFL talent on UConn football, when people are set on this idea that Ville football is much better.

Reaction Score
  1. Chad Johnson@ochocinco 17h
    I just turned from the Louisville/UConn game to watch DWTS just for Andrea Bocelli... #Epic

Expand
  2. Wayne Selden Jr.@WayneSeldenJr 17h
    UConn girls looking a little too much for Louisville right now, way too deep and great coaching !

Expand
  3. Akoy Agau@ZeroTheHeroAkoy 17h
    Remember everyone Michigan was hot like this yesterday against our men, UCONN will start missing and we will make our run!! #CardNation

Expand
  4. Lance Briggs@LanceBriggs 18h
    Bre Stewart for UConn is going to be the next Big thing in women's college basketball! #Beast

Expand
  5. Khalif Wyatt@KhalifW05 18h
    Uconn girls as my man Clark Kellog would say have "spurtability"!

Reaction Score
It was us versus Louisville last time out. FSU issued an ultimatum because of Louisville football. Case closed. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the score on that one, and whether we want to admit it or not, the national perception of UConn football compared to Ville football was low. It's hard to then say, look at Uconn's football record versus Louisville, look at the last game against them, look at the NFL talent on UConn football, when people are set on this idea that Ville football is much better.

UConn never acted like a football power even when they went to the BCS. The school never walked the walk. If UConn didn't believe, why would anyone else.

Reaction Score
Womens basketball is a niche sport. An acquired taste(that I haven't acquired).

Not enough competition to make it interesting(although the Ville knocking out Baylor is a step in the right direction).

It always feels like the UCONN women shouldn't play the season just start at the Elite Eight and go forward.

Anyone who thinks it will help us get into a power conference is not paying attention. It will never be a even a slight factor in us going somewhere.

Reaction Score
Womens basketball is a niche sport. An acquired taste(that I haven't acquired).

Anyone who thinks it will help us get into a power conference is not paying attention. It will never be a even a slight factor in us going somewhere.

I guess people don't like money anymore.

Reaction Score
From the NCAA site for 2012:
D1 Men's Basketball per game Attendance average: 4,994
D1 Women's Basketball per game average attendance: 1,583 (less than 1/3rd of the men's)

#1 in Attendance
Men's (Kentucky) avg: 23,721
Women's (Tenn) avg: 14,414 (If you win, people will come, but still not equal to the men)

#50 in Attendance
Men's (LSU) avg: 8,661
Women's (Va Tech) avg: 2,584 (If you are simply good, not many people will really care)

Summary: Most American sports fans could care less about Women's basketball, but if you put out a consistently good product, some people will care (but only regionally).

Conclusion: Does Women's D1 Basketball Matter? Only for a select few regions. Otherwise...no.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I do find it funny that in all likelihood only 2 conferences will have more women's basketball championships than the AAC by the time Breanna Stewart graduates. And only one of those two is still actually a conference.

Call me a downer, but this ain't funny. It depresses me. Get us in a conference please.

Reaction Score
The publicity and national TV coverage is all men and that is a factor but I think with the exposure on ESPN and the fact that more than half the country is made up of women, it does matter but just not that much to some of us. I have relatives in DC where the girls play HS hoop and are very aware and in awe of the stars on UCONN even that far away. As far as skill. I was watching the ball movement and the plays drawn up last night and I have to say that at times i wish our own players could be that disciplined. Even wide open 3's and foul shots for the men are not as skilled sometimes, why can a 140 pound woman shoot foul shots better in general? Unfortunately Geno has made them so successful that most of the season is a yawn to us but when they get a competitive game it's a good but different sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom