OT- Predicting Cold Snowy Winter for the Northeast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Predicting Cold Snowy Winter for the Northeast

Reaction Score
I love my Vegas Winters, if I want to play in the snow (hardly ever), I drive for twenty minutes Northeast of me and have fun at Mt Charleston. The Summer's are hot, but I'll take the 3 months of 100+ degrees versus the cold and the snow. After living in Indiana for 20+ years, stationed in Michigan, Germany, Korea, and the Netherlands, I DON'T like Winter or the humid Summers.
Amen to that brother...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Their track record in the past has not been good at all. Slightly better than tossing a coin, but not that much.

The European Forecast Modeling capabilities are generally considered superior to the North American system. :oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
The coldest I have ever been in my life was North Carolina in January. We were training about three miles from the ocean and the wind went through long johns, utility's, a green wool shirt, and a field jacket like a spoon through jello. Right now I'm looking at the news that shows fires in California and high winds and floods in the mid-west where they are predicting billions of dollars in crop losses. A heavy snowfall to me means more water for the rivers and my well. Yep, we turn the heat up in the winter but I think that overall Ct. has great weather. And for those who are going to immediately react by bringing up Isiasas, I was out of power for four days. The last time was Storm Sandy several years ago. Many people in the mid west are going to be out for the next two weeks.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yep, it is warm in Arizona. Dry Heat. I cook my Thanksgiving Turkey in a dry heat.

Actually, I'm down in Tucson. A little cooler than Phoenix, we did have a couple of 111 days, but we are running between 102 and `108 in this unseasonable warm spell. Normal high is 97ish.

Worse, no monsoon. Over half our annual rain falls during monsoon season. Nothing to speak of yet.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
One summer, I was hiking out at Point Reyes National Seashore, outside of San Francisco. You needed a down jacket. I’ve read that Point Reyes has, on average, the coldest summer weather in the lower 48.
When I arrived in San Diego for duty, I went to a Padres game in my t-shirt... and saw all the locals wearing down jackets. After 4 years I understood.

Reaction Score
Growing up in the "mountains" of Western Maryland we got a lot of snow by mid-Atlantic standards. My area would often get lake effect snow but we usually got our biggest snows from nor'easters that came up the coast. When I was a kid snow storms meant an occasional day off school and playing outdoors in the snow. Now as an adult, snow is just a pain in the butt that has to be moved out of the way. The fun is gone, although a day skiing is still pleasurable.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Down here in the southern CA desert, where it was 122 F yesterday, we estimate how cold the winter will be by measuring, in late fall, at 50' below sea level, how deep the rattlesnake hibernation dens are. The deeper they are, the colder the winter. Sidewinders are best.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Down here in the southern CA desert, where it was 122 F yesterday, we estimate how cold the winter will be by measuring, in late fall, at 50' below sea level, how deep the rattlesnake hibernation dens are. The deeper they are, the colder the winter. Sidewinders are best.
Up here in the NE I usually check how fat the squirrels are in the late fall.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Up here in the NE I usually check how fat the squirrels are in the late fall.
When I was stationed at the Tank-Automotive plant in Warren, MI, I saw a lot of fat squirrels, never knew that meant a cold winter. I lived in Indiana and stationed in Europe and Korea and it got cold, but the coldest place I have ever been was the Selfridge Air National Guard Base. The Officers and Senior Enlisted family housing, was just off the shores of Lake Saint Clair and in the winter we got both the lake effect snow and the Northern winds from Canada.

Reaction Score
When I was stationed at the Tank-Automotive plant in Warren, MI, I saw a lot of fat squirrels, never knew that meant a cold winter. I lived in Indiana and stationed in Europe and Korea and it got cold, but the coldest place I have ever been was the Selfridge Air National Guard Base. The Officers and Senior Enlisted family housing, was just off the shores of Lake Saint Clair and in the winter we got both the lake effect snow and the Northern winds from Canada.
You were lucky you didn't get sent to the Upper Peninsula.

Reaction Score
When I arrived in San Diego for duty, I went to a Padres game in my t-shirt... and saw all the locals wearing down jackets. After 4 years I understood.
San Diego gets that cold never heard that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom