OT- Polish Golf | The Boneyard

OT- Polish Golf

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At the risk of having Deepster choke on his pierogy, I found out something today about golf in Poland that I’m not aware is done in the US, at least I know of none near me.

Nobody gets on a golf course, even tourists, without passing a written test on the rules of golf and some evidence of having gone to a driving range. I’m not sure exactly on that part. Once they pass, they are issued what they call a Green Card and can play anywhere including I think some private courses. Golf isn’t very wide spread there yet.

Based on my experience in the US. Some pretty easy rules are ignored or not known by lots of hackers. They must think the trap rakes are decoration.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
At the risk of having Deepster choke on his pierogy, I found out something today about golf in Poland that I’m not aware is done in the US, at least I know of none near me.

Nobody gets on a golf course, even tourists, without passing a written test on the rules of golf and some evidence of having gone to a driving range. I’m not sure exactly on that part. Once they pass, they are issued what they call a Green Card and can play anywhere including I think some private courses. Golf isn’t very wide spread there yet.

Based on my experience in the US. Some pretty easy rules are ignored or not known by lots of hackers. They must think the trap rakes are decoration.
Wait, is this some kind of a joke?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wait, is this some kind of a joke?
Not a Polish joke. For real. A Polish person near Warsaw told me yesterday. Showed me the card. It’s green. What can I say, seems harder than getting a green card to work in the US.

Reaction Score
I know I wished they would test some of the groups that have played in front of me over the years, lots of clueless people out there.

Reaction Score
Not sure this would work. People here are required to learn the rules of the road and take a driving test before they're allowed to drive. There are a lot of drivers who just ignore the rules. Teaching golfers the rules is no guarantee that they will abide by them. I'm sure many of the current offenders know what they're doing is wrong.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not sure this would work. People here are required to learn the rules of the road and take a driving test before they're allowed to drive. There are a lot of drivers who just ignore the rules. Teaching golfers the rules is no guarantee that they will abide by them. I'm sure many of the current offenders know what they're doing is wrong.
Some yes too lazy to take a trap or fix a ball mark. Some just clueless like Deepster.;)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My body and I got paired up today with a guy who I’ll be damned if he’s not a yarder at Top Stone.

Reaction Score
For real. A Polish person near Warsaw told me yesterday. Showed me the card. It’s green. What can I say, seems harder than getting a green card to work in the US.
Based on direct experience enabling stuff to occur in Poland, asking Polish and expat golfers about the Zielona Karta Polski Związek Golfa (PGU Green Card) and successfully jumping through US family green card application hoops, the basic golf card's purportedly relatively easier to obtain with consistent test questions, reasonable knowledge of the game, and perhaps a gift of Złoty or Euro for the club pro. As for obtaining Polish Handicap card versus the simpler PGU Green Card, it involves a more involved process and is tougher to obtain.

Reaction Score
Golf is relatively new and there aren't many courses, so it's probably a good idea to do this to keep real duffers off the course. Might be good for here too.

All my grandparents emigrated here from Poland in the early 1900's and we've visited Poland twice to meet relatives and see the "old country". First time, in 1984, under communist rule, and then in 2011, 22 years after they were freed from communism.

The transition from 1989 to 2011 was astounding and a real testament to the human spirit and how freedom and free markets can so quickly turn around the fate of a country and render it in some ways unrecognizable. Looks like all the modern countries of Western Europe now, has suburbs and highways choked with MB's and BMW's, and lots of historical sights worth seeing.
Way too much to say about it for this forum but I was overjoyed for the people, especially when I reflected on how except by accident of birth I could have lived under communism for the first 46 years of my life.

One anecdote about how it was in 1984. Most stores' shelves were 80-90% empty at the time and when we saw a line in front of a store I asked one of my mother's cousins what was happening. He asked and was told they were waiting to buy green socks. Of course we asked why anyone outside of Ireland would do that and he said because they are available today. If you need socks you buy whatever color is available because you never know when they might be again. He went on to explain that all means of production are owned by the government and they decide how many socks will be produced each month and in what colors. He then went on to explain why factories were so inefficient by telling us, "under communism we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us".

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Golf is relatively new and there aren't many courses, so it's probably a good idea to do this to keep real duffers off the course. Might be good for here too.

All my grandparents emigrated here from Poland in the early 1900's and we've visited Poland twice to meet relatives and see the "old country". First time, in 1984, under communist rule, and then in 2011, 22 years after they were freed from communism.

The transition from 1989 to 2011 was astounding and a real testament to the human spirit and how freedom and free markets can so quickly turn around the fate of a country and render it in some ways unrecognizable. Looks like all the modern countries of Western Europe now, has suburbs and highways choked with MB's and BMW's, and lots of historical sights worth seeing.
Way too much to say about it for this forum but I was overjoyed for the people, especially when I reflected on how except by accident of birth I could have lived under communism for the first 46 years of my life.

One anecdote about how it was in 1984. Most stores' shelves were 80-90% empty at the time and when we saw a line in front of a store I asked one of my mother's cousins what was happening. He asked and was told they were waiting to buy green socks. Of course we asked why anyone outside of Ireland would do that and he said because they are available today. If you need socks you buy whatever color is available because you never know when they might be again. He went on to explain that all means of production are owned by the government and they decide how many socks will be produced each month and in what colors. He then went on to explain why factories were so inefficient by telling us, "under communism we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us".

Having spent the last week of our trip in a program with several Polish natives trying to sharpen English speaking, , I learned a lot about the transition from Communism. The people in the program were all well off to very well off financially (and all really disliked the current government even though it benefits them personally). Only a few golfers in the group, and I found out about the green card when one of them asked me if I play. Which I do in a manner unknown to Jordan Spieth.

Reaction Score
My body and I got paired up today with a guy who I’ll be damned if he’s not a yarder at Top Stone.
Topstone is in really good shape huh? Played Friday 8:48 had 4 twosomes in front of our 4 speaking of clueless.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Topstone is in really good shape huh? Played Friday 8:48 had 4 twosomes in front of our 4 speaking of clueless.
The greens were like airport motorized walkways yesterday. Once I adjusted it was great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom