OT: Pointless Olympic Sports | The Boneyard

OT: Pointless Olympic Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Men's beach volleyball. Just sayin'.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
How about team handball? Maybe it takes some time to appreciate.

I like the beach volleyball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
add women's beach volleyball to that list now without the bikinis...

Oh I hadn't seen that yet. Disappointing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Amazing.

I came here to start this very same thread.

Synchronized diving? It's just two people doing the same dive.

I can't believe there are people who dedicate their lives to this.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The Olympics are messing with my head. I tuned in to "Olympic Football" - but found that none of these guys are wearing helmets, the ball is round and the players appear to get injured by blades of grass or strong gusts of wind every few minutes. What a sham.

Reaction Score
Men's beach volleyball. Just sayin'.

My calendar (page-a-day 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said) on Friday mentioned" Olympic sports we don't miss". They were poodle clipping, fire fighting, and delivery van driving all from the 1900 Paris Olympics. Guess it could be worse;).

Reaction Score
How about team handball? Maybe it takes some time to appreciate.

I like the beach volleyball.

I turned on handball to hear Mike Gorman, celtics pbp man, and actually got into it. Some elements of basketball, soccer, and lax

Reaction Score
I turned on handball to hear Mike Gorman, celtics pbp man, and actually got into it. Some elements of basketball, soccer, and lax
Mike Gorman is great. Props for him having to work with Tommy Heinsohn. I can get into a lot of events, rooting for my country.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I was involved in a discussion today about how if table tennis could be an olympic sport then so could foosball. Table tennis, why not table soccer.

Reaction Score
I was involved in a discussion today about how if table tennis could be an olympic sport then so could foosball. Table tennis, why not table soccer.

How about skeetball? You know, maybe they should start adding video games.

Reaction Score
Any of the shooting should be a out.... another sport out is badminton

Reaction Score
Amazing.

I came here to start this very same thread.

Synchronized diving? It's just two people doing the same dive.

I can't believe there are people who dedicate their lives to this.

My wife and i had a theory Synchronized diving was started by second tier divers who where alternate at events and would sit there bored for hours and hours

Reaction Score
Isn't most of it arbitrary?

There are a couple of basic human physical behaviors that demand competition - running, swimming, jumping. 100,000 years ago some guy looked at some other guy and said, "I bet you I can run to that tree faster than you."

But beyond those basic motions, the rest is just arbitrary.

For example, what's with the hindered swimming? Swimming as fast as you can for distances X, Y, and Z makes sense. But who came up with swimming backwards? Or hopping in and out of the water in a big flopping motion? Why don't we have running races where people run backwards? Or hop up the track? Or cartwheel?

Does anybody really care which person spent the last 10 years perfecting the flopping in and out of the water with arms flying wildly around for a distance of 100 meters? Would a one-legged hop race up stairs be any more sensible?

The triple jump? What's that? Three big steps before a leap? Why three? Why not 2 or 4?

Gymnastics is the worst. After floor, the rest is just silliness dreamed up by somebody some time ago. Flop around on a high bar? On rings? Jump over a horsey thing? Flipping around on a 4 inch wide beam? What's the point?

The decathlon? Makes a bit of sense. Chuck a spear, run, throw a rock, throw a rock on a rope, run some more - is there swimming? Throw in dragging a woman around by the hair and you've got nature's basic - who's the best cave man competition.

It's great to do something you love. If you love synchronized diving, more power to you for being able to win a "gold" medal for it (worth about 500 bucks because mostly not gold, despite being twice the size of Beijing metals).

Who am I to say that it's a waste of a person's youth to learn how to flop around on matt or throw a spear or run or play basketball? Do what you love, and if you can paid endorsements to do it, great.

And Phelps - smoking weed is fun, but it makes accumulation of gold trickier.

Reaction Score
Poetry writing was an Olympic "Sport" beginning in 1896 until I think, 1936. There was a bit of scandal one year, though, when the President of the IOC won the gold, though he entered under an assumed name. Kind of make the controversy with the Korean swimmer seem minor.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
"...and get off my lawn!" :p

Seriously I love weird sports. The more arbitrary and capricious the better... except Gymnastics... I have a daughter and a wife so during the Olympics a certain percentage of gymnastics watching is required.

All I can really tell you from watching it is that Al Trautwig is the dumbest human being on the planet. I'd rather watch 8 hours of Duke's best flops narrated by Dick Vitale than 15 minutes of Trautwig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom