OT: Pitt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Pitt

Curiouser
Reaction Score
10 and 8 point losses? Look, both Pitt and UCONN are terrible. Question. Would you trade MBB program places at this moment? Leave out the past and just consider going forward from the ACC and Pitt takes our slot in the AAC. I’d do it in 1 second because a good recruiter could start reeling players in to play Duke, Virginia, NC just like Calhoun did for the old BE. Turn around could be quick. Pitt is not screwed by their 0’fer.
You asked what quality teams we played close. I gave an answer that I believe was responsive and accurate. I get the sense that you didn't watch either game, or at least didn't remember them. They are both quality teams and we played them close. Certainly close enough to fit your comparison with Pitt and its results this season.

As for the rest, it's obvious that was your point and your narrative all along, but unfortunately the question you posed in an attempt to make that point did not support it. So now you are changing the question.

Have at it wallowing in your misery and fantasizing about ways to make it disappear that will never come to pass. Personally, I don't find that a helpful exercise, but you should find a lot of company on the board who would love to join you.

Reaction Score
What quality team did we play close? You could at least make that argument for a few of Pitt’s losses.
Houston
Zona for the first 35 minutes or so (they closed on some crazy run, like 15-2 or something). 57-55 with 6 minutes to go.
Cincy at Gampel was...somewhat close
WSU was close for the first 35 minutes and was about a 10 point loss. 56-53 with 5 to go.

Reaction Score
You asked what quality teams we played close. I gave an answer that I believe was responsive and accurate. I get the sense that you didn't watch either game, or at least didn't remember them. They are both quality teams and we played them close. Certainly close enough to fit your comparison with Pitt and its results this season.

As for the rest, it's obvious that was your point and your narrative all along, but unfortunately the question you posed in an attempt to make that point did not support it. So now you are changing the question.

Have at it wallowing in your misery and fantasizing about ways to make it disappear that will never come to pass. Personally, I don't find that a helpful exercise, but you should find a lot of company on the board who would love to join you.
Those teams were not in danger of losing those games, I watched them both.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is it "playing teams close," or "putting the other team in danger of losing?" Which are we talking about here?

Reaction Score
I wonder what the "cause" is? They're unbelievably bad, or maybe worse than Rutgers.

Reaction Score

Looks like Pitt tried to get Stallings to agree to a reduced buyout and he told them no way

And for those who think that KO would take a reduced buyout just look to Pitt. The universities signed a contract and they are stuck. Absolutely no reason for the coaches to negotiate so they won't.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I’m going to preface this post by saying I’m a huge football supporter and not one of the “drop football and go back to the BE” crowd. Some of you may kill me on this but so be it.

I think that Deadspin article really touched on something that is destroying interest for a lot of schools’ fan bases, especially Old BE schools. The quest for money and football has caused their b-ball programs to be pushed aside. What were once great programs are now getting destroyed. I didn’t even realize how terrible Pitt had become, mostly because I’ve stopped following a lot of college basketball. I remember how hard it was for us to go and play at Pitt. That place was rocking. Now look at what has happened....Syracuse has become somewhat irrelevant too in the region and BC, well that’s been well documented.

Bottom line is that I think in the future we see a lot of schools reform into geographic conferences. You look at Pitt, WVU, Cuse, BC, even Rutgers, and they are complete outliers who are not fits for their conferences. I don’t even think you can call their additions a success other then the fact that the B1G got their cable boxes with RU and the ACC got theirs with Cuse (that’s a stretch) and the schools got tons of money.

I just can’t see how these schools will keep up with the rapid loss of interest from their fans. The biggest reason, outside of losing, is that fans just don’t care about their opponents because there’s no history. Yeah playing in the ACC brings in the Dukes and UNCs of the world but there is really no animosity there that would make fans excited.

I really wish that schools and maybe even networks realize what they have done and go back to regionalizing conferences to reignite rivalries. I remember when rivalry week on ESPN was awesome. Now it’s Duke-UNC and a bunch of forced rivalries that aren’t real.

Reaction Score
Wichita State at the XL; Cincinnati at Gampel.
Cincy at Gampel? That game wasn’t close as the score. It was routinely between 15-20 all game. Now maybe substitute it for @ Houston.

Reaction Score
And for those who think that KO would take a reduced buyout just look to Pitt. The universities signed a contract and they are stuck. Absolutely no reason for the coaches to negotiate so they won't.
KO has a coaching future.

Stallings after this stint at Pitt probably does not... I’d take all the money on my way out as I could if I were him

Reaction Score
True. However, Stallings will never step foot on Pitt's campus again in his lifetime. I think KO and UConn can mutually benefit if a buyout is done more amicably.

Either way, should be a fascinating week to come one way or the other.

Reaction Score
I’m going to preface this post by saying I’m a huge football supporter and not one of the “drop football and go back to the BE” crowd. Some of you may kill me on this but so be it.

I think that Deadspin article really touched on something that is destroying interest for a lot of schools’ fan bases, especially Old BE schools. The quest for money and football has caused their b-ball programs to be pushed aside. What were once great programs are now getting destroyed. I didn’t even realize how terrible Pitt had become, mostly because I’ve stopped following a lot of college basketball. I remember how hard it was for us to go and play at Pitt. That place was rocking. Now look at what has happened....Syracuse has become somewhat irrelevant too in the region and BC, well that’s been well documented.

Bottom line is that I think in the future we see a lot of schools reform into geographic conferences. You look at Pitt, WVU, Cuse, BC, even Rutgers, and they are complete outliers who are not fits for their conferences. I don’t even think you can call their additions a success other then the fact that the B1G got their cable boxes with RU and the ACC got theirs with Cuse (that’s a stretch) and the schools got tons of money.

I just can’t see how these schools will keep up with the rapid loss of interest from their fans. The biggest reason, outside of losing, is that fans just don’t care about their opponents because there’s no history. Yeah playing in the ACC brings in the Dukes and UNCs of the world but there is really no animosity there that would make fans excited.

I really wish that schools and maybe even networks realize what they have done and go back to regionalizing conferences to reignite rivalries. I remember when rivalry week on ESPN was awesome. Now it’s Duke-UNC and a bunch of forced rivalries that aren’t real.
List of priorities for Syracuse, Pitt, BC, and Rutgers:
1. Make sure P5 checks clear
2. Make sure P5 checks clear
3. Make sure P5 checkes clear

997. Geography
998. Competency of AD department
999. Fan interest

Reaction Score
Goalposts moving here.

Also, didn't we just play a close game @ Houston, who is a Top 25 team?

Our team wasn't good this year. In fact, we were pretty miserable.

We were better than Pitt. By a lot.
Watching us play SMU right now down 20 at the half.. Please convince me how we are better than Pitt. No way. And they freaking stink.

Reaction Score
It shows just how much a bad athletic director can screw a school up. Everyone and their grandma knew Stallings was a bad fit for Pitt, but he pulled the trigger.

Reaction Score
I think that Deadspin article really touched on something that is destroying interest for a lot of schools’ fan bases, especially Old BE schools. The quest for money and football has caused their b-ball programs to be pushed aside. What were once great programs are now getting destroyed. I didn’t even realize how terrible Pitt had become, mostly because I’ve stopped following a lot of college basketball.
Isn't that the biggest indictment of the state of the UConn program, right there ?

I'm right there with you. Had no idea Pitt was so bad. Had no idea Dixon had left, for the same reason.

Fact is, I was more interested this season in knowing if the Knicks were playing than UConn (before Porzingas ACL, at least). I did not even give one thought to recording the game today so I could watch it after work. And I was pissed the other night when my DVR went fubar and I couldn't watch the women's semi-final destruction of Cincy, so it's not like I don't have the time for it, if it was worth watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom