OT: Pitt | The Boneyard

OT: Pitt

Reaction Score
bzpEEeH.jpg

Sad thing is the same could be written about us.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
We actually won some conference games though.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Pitt vs UConn would go down to the last minute and be competitive game. They'd probably mirror our conference record this year, as we would theirs if we happened to be in the ACC

Reaction Score
Just goes to show how good Jaime Dixon was at Pitt. Some of the base grew weary of the early post-season exits (despite a BE championship and high level consistency) - and the constant criticism pushed him to his alma mater, TCU. In short order - and with decent but not 5-Star talent, he has that program relevant for the first time in...ever.

Reaction Score
Pitt being in the ACC at least has a conference schedule where if they recruit they can turn things quickly. They are in a better place than we are sad to say, and as bad as they are how are we better than them?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Since we barely beat ECU and USF, you can add UConn to the list.

I mean, they could, but I'm not buying that a team more than 50 spots below us on KenPom would "definitely" beat us.

Here are the top 5 teams Pitt has defeated, according to KenPom:
  • UC Santa Barbara (120)
  • Towson (157)
  • Duquesne (194)
  • Mount St. Mary's (230)
  • Lehigh (234)
And for us:
  • Oregon (60)
  • SMU (87)
  • Temple (88)
  • UCF (99)
  • Tulane (168)
I know we're bad this year, but we've shown a demonstrably higher ceiling than Pitt. And for all the grief the members of our frontcourt get for being below the acceptable level of UConn recruit, I would take them (minus Onuorah) as a group over Pitt's in a heartbeat. Their two frosh had a total of 4 DI offers between the two of them (!), and the JUCO they brought in's next best offer was MTSU; Stallings' failings in this regard are definitely showing up on the court.

Anything can happen in a game, but on paper, we stack up more favorably against them than one might think.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I mean, they could, but I'm not buying that a team more than 50 spots below us on KenPom would "definitely" beat us.

Here are the top 5 teams Pitt has defeated, according to KenPom:
  • UC Santa Barbara (120)
  • Towson (157)
  • Duquesne (194)
  • Mount St. Mary's (230)
  • Lehigh (234)
And for us:
  • Oregon (60)
  • SMU (87)
  • Temple (88)
  • UCF (99)
  • Tulane (168)
I know we're bad this year, but we've shown a demonstrably higher ceiling than Pitt. And for all the grief the members of our frontcourt get for being below the acceptable level of UConn recruit, I would take them (minus Onuorah) as a group over Pitt's in a heartbeat. Their two frosh had a total of 4 DI offers between the two of them (!), and the JUCO they brought in's next best offer was MTSU; Stallings' failings in this regard are definitely showing up on the court.

Anything can happen in a game, but on paper, we stack up more favorably against them than one might think.

I don't disagree we should win, and would be favored to do so - I should have clarified that. I also think we could lose.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree we should win, and would be favored to do so - I should have clarified that. I also think we could lose.

I wouldn't go that far. Pitts best player Wilson frame might not even be a top 3 player on this team. Jalen, terry and vital I would take over him

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Good for Wilson-Frame though, it'd be cool if he was a 4th or 5th man here instead.

Reaction Score
What quality team did we play close? You could at least make that argument for a few of Pitt’s losses.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What quality team did we play close? You could at least make that argument for a few of Pitt’s losses.
Wichita State at the XL; Cincinnati at Gampel.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I haven't watched enough of Pitt to make a definitive judgement, but the prevailing narrative here (which I don't necessarily disagree with) was that our close losses were far less close than the final score indicated, and that margins were meaninglessly closed in garbage time. Maybe the same is true of Pitt?

Additionally, two out of three of Pitt's close-ish losses to good/decent teams (WVU by 9, Miami by 14) came before Ryan Luther, their best player, was lost for the season. Although they did beat Miami by 12 without him, the only teams they've lost to by single digits in conference play are NC State - who are currently being smacked by BC in their tourney - and Syracuse.

On our end, we list to Wichita by 10 at home and Cincy by 8. I'm not defending that as an acceptable result, just noting that their resume is not superior to ours in that sense.

Reaction Score
Wichita State at the XL; Cincinnati at Gampel.
10 and 8 point losses? Look, both Pitt and UCONN are terrible. Question. Would you trade MBB program places at this moment? Leave out the past and just consider going forward from the ACC and Pitt takes our slot in the AAC. I’d do it in 1 second because a good recruiter could start reeling players in to play Duke, Virginia, NC just like Calhoun did for the old BE. Turn around could be quick. Pitt is not screwed by their 0’fer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom