OT: picking a credit card | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: picking a credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
$1.23 at the supermarket? Swipe that card.
Funny, I'm just about to re-open my bar, and I was having a conversation with another bar owner who said, "young people will swipe a can of soda." I'm not sure most are doing it for the perks you are doing it for, but it's being done. I'm wondering whether I should have a "minimum charge" for credit card use. I'm going with square, which is a flat fee for swipes, so no skin off my nose - just potentially more paper to shuffle.

Reaction Score
TasteofUConn said:
Funny, I'm just about to re-open my bar, and I was having a conversation with another bar owner who said, "young people will swipe a can of soda." I'm not sure most are doing it for the perks you are doing it for, but it's being done. I'm wondering whether I should have a "minimum charge" for credit card use. I'm going with square, which is a flat fee for swipes, so no skin off my nose - just potentially more paper to shuffle.

Technically you are not allowed to have a minimum, doesn't mean that businesses don't state that at the sign. Not doing that to a mom and pop is part of the life rule of don't be a butt hole, but stop and shop can lose the money for all I care.

Reaction Score
Technically you are not allowed to have a minimum, doesn't mean that businesses don't state that at the sign. Not doing that to a mom and pop is part of the life rule of don't be a butt hole, but stop and shop can lose the money for all I care.

I hear people say it's not allowed all the time. It's legal. A business can require a minimum charge up to $10.

Let's go to the website already recommended in this topic for the explanation!

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/merchant-minimum_purchase-credit-debit-1585.php

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I should have differentiated between using short term credit and taking on debt, which are very different things.
Certainly money management is a very personal thing.
Here's one recent example. Just bought a CRV. 25k. Wrote a check. At your 1.9%, I pay an additional $1,226 for the vehicle. That's almost a 5% up charge for the privilege of not using my cash. Figure inflation is running at 3%. The devaluation in your cash sitting in your bank making 0.008% (thank you Fed) over those 5 years is about $3,500. Further, even people with "good" credit are likely going to pay a higher interest rate, not the 1.9% dangled out.

Disagree. Most people, in fact, could do this. The problem is the early life training to live beyond their means. Why save the money and buy a serviceable used car for 8 or 9 grand when you can take 15 grand in credit and buy a brand new, shiny 25,000 car with heated seats?

To clarify my advice, I definitely recommend using credit cards and lines of credit. I pay for 80% of expenditures with a Capital One card that gives me 1.5% on everything. Of course, I pay it off each month and never pay interest. I also have a HELOC that I use for things like buying cars. The truth is, the 1.5% cash back on the credit card is a tax on people who are carrying balances every month and paying 20% interest. Just like when I pay my property taxes early and get a discount - that's just a tax on the people who pay late and get hit with a fee.

My thought on this is that debt is generally bad, and should be avoided. That is a drastic over-simplification, to be sure. But for a thread on a basketball message board, I err towards simplicity. Certainly taking on debt now to improve financial status later usually makes sense. Examples include loans for education. Also, improving standard of living now by taking on debt sometimes makes sense. For example, taking a loan to get to a house in a better school district.

Ultimately, however, debt is a life choice, not an obligation with which we are born. The United States is a cultural echo chamber on this. It is beaten into your head from a very young age, directly and through suggestion, that taking on debt is normal, expected, and a tonic for your life.

Fundamentally, debt is the process by which you improve your standard of living today by lowering your standard of living tomorrow (excepting some education loans, business loans, and other debt taken to increase earning potential). Further, the amount that you improve your standard of living today is substantially less than the amount you lower your standard of living in the future, and that really is the thesis here; taking on debt is the process of making yourself a little wealthier now at the expense of removing multiples of that wealth from your future self. People think they "need" things that they really just want, and they end up paying 24% interest on a steak they bought at Outback that wasn't that good anyway.

To be clear, I put as much as I can on credit cards (also primarily Capital One) and I pay the balance in full every month. I'm not talking about credit card balances. I also take advantage of pay up front discounts whenever they make sense, like one I was just offered: 10% discount on a $4,500 charge if paid up front rather than over 1.5 years. I'll take the $450 discount there, thank you.

When you can get medium or long-term money as low as 1.9%, which I did for our recent car purchase, I think that changes the equation. For me. But it all depends on your assumptions. One assumption is that it can be invested, not in a savings account, but in equity markets or otherwise. Obviously not a guarantee. But even if it's just sitting in a bank for you to use for an emergency, that peace of mind may be worth the $200/year of interest under your $25k example.

The point is, unless you have good credit, you don't get to make those choices. So I think it does matter, because I like to have the choice.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Depending on your spending habits will determine which card is best for you. Don't listen to anyone that says cards with a fee aren't worth it. I have a Hilton HHonors AMEX card,Chase Sapphire Preferred and a Discover I got in college ( I'm 23). I traveled a ton for work so the fee on the Hilton and Chase were more than worth it. However, if you are only spending money on groceries than Chase Freedom might be a better option. I believe someone mentioned Credit Karma and thepointsguy both of those websites are extremely helpful.

Reaction Score
Don't stray from the one's with fees. They have the best rewards. There are plenty of sites that will calculate the amount you need to spend per month to make the fee pay for itself and many come with the first year free.

I've been putting absolutely everything on a CC since I was 18. I just pay the bill off every month. If you can afford the fee, I would look at the Chase Saphire, Starwoods Preferred, Southwest Card, or Capital One venture card. They fee ranges from 35-100 a year on those. If you are confident you can pay the bill, get one with a better rewards program and if you are worried that you need to make a purchase that maybe you can't pay off then use the one from the bank.

Having multiple cards improves the credit score as the line of credit is larger. Also, they most likely start you of with a low maximum due to your limited credit history. I still can't get behind opening up multiples and multiples as it just scares me but there is little to say that it ruins your score.

After I cash out my Capital One Venture for my honeymoon, I am going to switch to a the SPG and/or the Chase Sapphire only because my fiancee already has a southwest card.

Starwoods just merged with Marriot, so I'd stay away from that one.

Reaction Score
Whatever card you get you need to use it at least a couple of times a month. Pay off the entire balance when you get the bill to avoid interest. This way you establish a positive credit history.
If you were to apply for say a car loan the bank will look at the following:
1. Credit score
2) Payment history
3) Available credit to debt ratio (2 credit cards would be better)
The key is to use your credit cards with care and pay the balance off each month. You can go on the internet to find the best card rates but be careful, you aren't likely to qualify for the lowest rate cards at this point and every time you apply your application will appear on your credit report. The same goes for filling out credit applications at retailers. A notation is made when the retailer checks your credit. Too many inquiry's is not good.
The one thing you don't want s to become is what the banks call a "ghost": no credit history. It is almost better to have shaky credit.
The key for you is to continue to be disciplined. Best of luck, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom