OT? Philadelphia Tomato Pie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT? Philadelphia Tomato Pie

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Alas, Coco, it's a very different kind of tomato pie in NJ, and one that I reluctantly admit is better than the Philly version.
Aa to pizza generally, the grilled pizza in Al Forno in Providence--the home of the grilled pizza--is only every list of top pizzas in the U.S.
Disagree. I'm in Jersey now but I lived in Philly before.

Jersey pizza <<<<<<Philly pizza<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<CT pizza

Reaction Score
That's a Margherita. A pie invented in Naples made with ingredients with the same colors as the Italian flag. I think it was named after an Italian princess.

I make them on the grill in the summer.
Actually this is their margarita, they call it their fresh mozzarella:
DC7EBCB0-2FD9-4DCC-99D8-D38A1EFC55A0.jpeg

Both pies are similar, but their tomato/ basil is less cheese and more juicy. Plus they use fresh tomatoes rather than sauc with the tomato/ basil.

Reaction Score
Tasty thread, ROCK.
Back around late 1930s in South Jersey on the way "down the shore," they were called tomato pies and had cheese on them, as I recall. Could be wrong on that. If so, seems that it was too long after that that just about all the pies were definitely called "pizza" and definitely had cheese.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually this is their margarita, they call it their fresh mozzarella:
View attachment 28133
Both pies are similar, but their tomato/ basil is less cheese and more juicy. Plus they use fresh tomatoes rather than sauc with the tomato/ basil.

Looks more like a comforter granny made after her eyes went bad, but still looks eating fine.

Reaction Score
no, no, no. best tomato pies (and I really, really, really hate to admit it) are in New Jersey. In 1985, I was taken to the (then) top place in Trenton and remember it to this day.

Order a tomato pie in Jersey, and you’ll get one as described above — thin crust, cheese, topped with tomatoes. But ask for tomato pie in Philadelphia or Utica, N.Y., and you’ll get tomato sauce on thick Sicilian dough with just a dusting of Romano cheese, and the pie is served cold or at room temperature. But Jersey knows the truth. “That’s not tomato pie,” said Azzaro of the upstate New York and Philly style. “That’s something else. I don’t even know what that’s called.” Sure, there is some debate — some might call it all-out war — on which is the real deal between fans of Trenton tomato pie and those from upstate New York, home of the Utica tomato pie. Both pies were born in the early 1900s. Which came first? If you’re reading this, you already know the answer.

What Is a Tomato Pie and Where Can I Get One?
Geno with his REAL Italian roots--knows his gravy, Pies, etc. Anchovies and olives were something often found on Pizza (American's pronounced--Ah-beets--). Give me the Italian food cooked by an old (real) Italian lady--and I'm in Luigi heaven.
My take on this PIE is to ASK GENO--you can bet his food Italian is real(

Nice Jersey and Pie food lesson Bags--I lived in Southern NJ--(Trenton is East Philly)--. I made trips over the Black Horse Tpk to Philly for REAL Italian food and accessories at the Italian Market (streets full of Italian vendors). However, I know some New Yorkers that will tell you the NYC Italian Pies are the best--

Reaction Score
Looks more like a comforter granny made after her eyes went bad, but still looks eating fine.
In my early yoot A-Pizza pies were not topped with cheese, some has anchovies, olives (anchovies I removed)--pretty much plain.
It was a real ---rare---treat. Nice thread to distract us from the USC game.

Reaction Score
The good thing is that it appeared that the team also got to share Geno’s Tomato pie. When asked about it after the game, Gabby said it’s really good. If Gabby had a slice, it must have been Vegan.
The old time Tomato pie--was Vegan before there were vegans.

Reaction Score
Sorry I'm late to this party. So disappointed in @bags27- nothing from Jersey could ever be better than from Philly-he should know better.
Seems like the rest of you are also getting things twisted. If your cheese is baked on that's called a pizza. If your cheese is sprinkled on that's called a tomato pie.

View attachment 28121
Growing up near Geno's family home in Norristown, PA, we had white-top pizzas (no red sauce), and red-sauce pizzas (similar to Phila tomato pie). A regular pizza had toppings as well as red sauce.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Growing up near Geno's family home in Norristown, PA, we had white-top pizzas (no red sauce), and red-sauce pizzas (similar to Phila tomato pie). A regular pizza had toppings as well as red sauce.

This pizza discussion reminds me of having dinner in Bologna with a couple of Italian guys. They got into a serious discussion about the merits of the cuisine from their respective villages. The topic was tortellini vs tortelloni. One guy suggested that the women in the other guys village made the larger tortelloni because they were too fat fingered to make the smaller, more delicate tortellini. The other guy countered saying that women made tortellini because they were too stingy with the stuffing.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Sorry I'm late to this party. So disappointed in @bags27- nothing from Jersey could ever be better than from Philly-he should know better.
Seems like the rest of you are also getting things twisted. If your cheese is baked on that's called a pizza. If your cheese is sprinkled on that's called a tomato pie.

View attachment 28121

Don't tell that to Frank Pepe.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
That's a Margherita. A pie invented in Naples made with ingredients with the same colors as the Italian flag. I think it was named after an Italian princess.

I make them on the grill in the summer.

The Queen when she visited Naples.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
When all is said and done if you want the best tomato pie go to Sally's and order the red pie with crushed garlic. Nothing else on it. When Flo was alive she would tell you it was their best pie.

One of my sons worked in Philadelphia. He and his co-workers would occasionally drive to Sally's for dinner and then drive back. Now that's dedication!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom