OT? Philadelphia Tomato Pie | The Boneyard

OT? Philadelphia Tomato Pie

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just keep learning new stuff. Geno said at half time he didn't spend much time in the locker room : “It’s not anything I’ve been saying at halftime,” Auriemma said. “I’ve been eating tomato pies my friend brought up from Philly." UConn rolls past Tulane in front of sold-out Gampel

So I wanted to know what the heck a tomato pie was. Maybe all the rest of you know?

"Certain tomato pies, like the ones popular in Philadelphia bakeries, clearly trace their roots back to Sicily, where thick, rectangular pizzas were topped with chopped tomatoes, anchovies, onions, and oregano — but rarely ever cheese — before sliding into wood-fired ovens. This cheese-free recipe stems from the Southern portion of Italy, where tomatoes and olives are more plentiful than dairy cows. Somehow during its transatlantic journey, Sicilian pizza shed the onions and anchovies and was renamed, Ellis Island–style, "tomato pie."

And there is more too. What Is Tomato Pie, Anyway?

I just had dinner and I'm getting hungry.

Reaction Score
no, no, no. best tomato pies (and I really, really, really hate to admit it) are in New Jersey. In 1985, I was taken to the (then) top place in Trenton and remember it to this day.

Order a tomato pie in Jersey, and you’ll get one as described above — thin crust, cheese, topped with tomatoes. But ask for tomato pie in Philadelphia or Utica, N.Y., and you’ll get tomato sauce on thick Sicilian dough with just a dusting of Romano cheese, and the pie is served cold or at room temperature. But Jersey knows the truth. “That’s not tomato pie,” said Azzaro of the upstate New York and Philly style. “That’s something else. I don’t even know what that’s called.” Sure, there is some debate — some might call it all-out war — on which is the real deal between fans of Trenton tomato pie and those from upstate New York, home of the Utica tomato pie. Both pies were born in the early 1900s. Which came first? If you’re reading this, you already know the answer.

What Is a Tomato Pie and Where Can I Get One?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I saw something about tomato pies last year on one of those Travel Food shows on either the Food Network or the Travel Channel... they had a show on foods from Philadelphia. Its got me hungry watching.... and now this thread got me hungry ...... thanks alot Head bang

Reaction Score
My brother-in-law is a Philly guy. Lives in Texas, but when the come to CT, he goes to RI to get tomato pie, because it is near the same. I've had it and when it is made right, it is really good.

Reaction Score
The guys I knew (from around the Trenton area) always called pizza tomato pie. Brian Regan did a great bit about going to college in New Jersey (Brian's from Ohio...or somewhere not NJ). First day, his roommate suggested they go get some pie. He thought it sounded OK albeit a bit strange. He was all set to go out for dessert when he learned the guy wanted pizza. They compromised...ordered half-pepperoni, half-pumpkin.

Reaction Score
CustomBreadBakery-Phillies-FlyersPizza.jpg

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I am shocked no one has brought up the most famous tomatoe pie of them all....
2014-04-01-16.14.06.jpg

Then one, the only, THE ORIGINAL Frank Pepe's Apizza

Although many have argued, none can claim a business operating before 1925 selling a tomatoe pie. The first, the best, and simply nothing compares to it.

Much like our beloved Huskies!

P.S. you can find the original in New Haven, CT withe a half dozen more open around the state. Also one in Massachusetts and New York

Reaction Score
View attachment 28113

Although many have argued, none can claim a business operating before 1925 selling a tomatoe pie. The first, the best, and simply nothing compares to it.

P.S. you can find the original in New Haven, CT withe a half dozen more open around the state. Also one in Massachusetts and New York
That looks AMAZING!

Reaction Score
View attachment 28113

no disputing Pepe's tomato pie as a worthy effort. but really, how can you have anything except the white clam pie? that is historic. (and the other Pepe's are not nearly as good as the original, I find)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was talking to Danny and mentioned I was having tomato pie.

He thought I was making it up.

No, in fact it is one of my daughter's favorite dishes.

Here's the recipe from our family cookbook:

Tomato Pie

Submitted by Polly

Amount Measure Ingredients

1 pie crust cooked

1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese

5 roma tomato or 4 medium tomatoes

1 cup fresh basil leaves

4 cloves garlic

½ cup mayonnaise

¼ cup grated cheese

⅛ teaspoon white pepper

Cook pie crust according to directions. When you take it out of the oven, sprinkle with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese. Cool crust. Cut tomatoes into wedges and drain on paper towels. Arrange them on top the cheese pie crust. Food process the basil leaves, garlic till coarsely chopped. Add mayonnaise, Grated cheese, mozzarella and pepper and spread the mixture over the top of the tomatoes. Bake at 375º for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm.

NOTES : Good also cold or as an appetizer.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
However, our tomato pie appears to be nothing like the Philly kind.

Reaction Score
no disputing Pepe's tomato pie as a worthy effort. but really, how can you have anything except the white clam pie? that is historic. (and the other Pepe's are not nearly as good as the original, I find)
OMG you're making me check my airline points - which airport is closest to Pepe's? That white clam pie is truly to die for! We always order a small one as an appetizer - it gets cold quickly since it has no cheese or sauce. We also always order one or two extra big pies to go because NOTHING else is satisfying after having eaten at Pepe's recently except more Pepe's pizza.

upload_2018-1-28_20-47-36.png

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
View attachment 28113

That looks SO good! You're making me miss home. (Jersey)

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
A delicious thread and a look back for me as I was born in New Haven and had two uncles in the business. Both specialized in the thin crust pie so famous for the area.

My mother's brother owned Nicky's on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, a full-service restaurant with a bar and my mother's brother-in-law owned Tolli's, more of a traditional pizza/sub joint (still in business, as far as I know) in East Haven.

Tony Tolli and his wife Grace had a pizza joint at Savin Rock, an amusement park in West Haven, where he started making his fortune. His trick was to open the windows on warm Spring and Summer nights which allowed the breezes to bring the aroma of his pizza's to the main concourse of the park. He had a line most of the time waiting to get a slice or two. His specialty was what he called a plain tomato pie. Thin crust, sauce, herbs, Parmaggiano Reggiano cheese and a light dressing of olive oil.

Nicky put in one of the first commercial microwave ovens in the state which allowed him to do some production cooking of his Italian specialties only requiring a quick re-heat to serve. Because of the leakage of microwaves from the earliest ovens, you had to have an FCC license to operate one.

I miss them both and the old days in general.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good thing is that it appeared that the team also got to share Geno’s Tomato pie. When asked about it after the game, Gabby said it’s really good. If Gabby had a slice, it must have been Vegan.

Reaction Score
Why try to figure out what to have at Pepe's. I always get half cheese and half tomato (their other signature apizza), along with a clam.

20171205_121208.jpg

Reaction Score
View attachment 28113

I have spent many nights on Wooster St.! Whether it had been getting a quick pie at Pepe's, Sally's, or Tony and Lucille's or trying to impress a beautiful young girl by taking them to Tre Scalini or Consiglio's. My best friend got a job right out of college at Hartley and Parker(Wine and liquor distributor) and held all the accounts in New Haven. He would take care of the restaurants and bars and they would take care of us. From the time I was 22 till now, I never waited in a line and hardly ever paid for a meal or a drink. I would always just take really good care of the staff. Ah, good times, good times.

Reaction Score
I will have to have a slice of tomatoe / basil as they make it at Mondo today!
mondo pizza middletown
0025B50C-9A2B-47E1-952E-7217FD83CB1E.jpeg

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry I'm late to this party. So disappointed in @bags27- nothing from Jersey could ever be better than from Philly-he should know better.
Seems like the rest of you are also getting things twisted. If your cheese is baked on that's called a pizza. If your cheese is sprinkled on that's called a tomato pie.

tomato Pie.png

Reaction Score
Sorry I'm late to this party. So disappointed in @bags27- nothing from Jersey could ever be better than from Philly-he should know better.
Seems like the rest of you are also getting things twisted. If your cheese is baked on that's called a pizza. If your cheese is sprinkled on that's called a tomato pie.

View attachment 28121
Alas, Coco, it's a very different kind of tomato pie in NJ, and one that I reluctantly admit is better than the Philly version.
Aa to pizza generally, the grilled pizza in Al Forno in Providence--the home of the grilled pizza--is only every list of top pizzas in the U.S.

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 9.32.56 AM.png

Reaction Score
Alas, Coco, it's a very different kind of tomato pie in NJ, and one that I reluctantly admit is better than the Philly version.
Aa to pizza generally, the grilled pizza in Al Forno in Providence--the home of the grilled pizza--is only every list of top pizzas in the U.S.

View attachment 28122
I whole completely regarding Al Forno, the only problem being the long line. But......having been a life long (since college) fan of Pepes or The Spot, I am a recent convert to Sally's just down the street. Both are fantastic and it is a matter of taste, but when it reopens Thursday, Sally's is where I would go in New Haven.

Reaction Score
I just keep learning new stuff. Geno said at half time he didn't spend much time in the locker room : “It’s not anything I’ve been saying at halftime,” Auriemma said. “I’ve been eating tomato pies my friend brought up from Philly." UConn rolls past Tulane in front of sold-out Gampel

So I wanted to know what the heck a tomato pie was. Maybe all the rest of you know?

"Certain tomato pies, like the ones popular in Philadelphia bakeries, clearly trace their roots back to Sicily, where thick, rectangular pizzas were topped with chopped tomatoes, anchovies, onions, and oregano — but rarely ever cheese — before sliding into wood-fired ovens. This cheese-free recipe stems from the Southern portion of Italy, where tomatoes and olives are more plentiful than dairy cows. Somehow during its transatlantic journey, Sicilian pizza shed the onions and anchovies and was renamed, Ellis Island–style, "tomato pie."

And there is more too. What Is Tomato Pie, Anyway?

I just had dinner and I'm getting hungry.
Brian Regan's riff on Pizza.

Let's Split a Pie - Comedy Central Presents | Comedy Central

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom