OT: PGA accepts 'no anchor' rule | The Boneyard

OT: PGA accepts 'no anchor' rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The R&A and USGA proposed that you can't anchor the putter....the Euro tour and LPGA quickly accepted the new rule. The PGA discussed it and now has accepted it....won't go into effect till 2016.

Some members of the PGA tour are talking lawsuit....particularly Tim Clark. He says [basically] he won't be able to make a living without the anchoring due to some physical condition he has.
I don't know the specifics but I wonder how he can do the full swing...and chip....with no anchoring but can't putt???

It would be a mess if the different ruling bodies had different rules. I'm glad the PGA is accepting it....it should be implemented in 2014 imo.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The R&A and USGA proposed that you can't anchor the putter....the Euro tour and LPGA quickly accepted the new rule. The PGA discussed it and now has accepted it....won't go into effect till 2016.

Some members of the PGA tour are talking lawsuit....particularly Tim Clark. He says [basically] he won't be able to make a living without the anchoring due to some physical condition he has.
I don't know the specifics but I wonder how he can do the full swing...and chip....with no anchoring but can't putt???

It would be a mess if the different ruling bodies had different rules. I'm glad the PGA is accepting it....it should be implemented in 2014 imo.

While I think I agree with the rule, it IS kind of silly given all the unnecessary advantages all the other equipment does to enhance the pro game. Make those guys go back to persimmon, no gimmicked wedges, no bigger headed irons and no hybrids. Take away balls that explode off the club face like a NASA rocket. It's like giving pro baseball players aluminum bats and a ball that flies back by the pitcher before he releases it. Watching guys like Mickelson in person hit a 434 yard par 4 with a drive and a wedge is silly. I'm old enough to have followed Palmer around the old Wethersfield course. He was no weakling and he could no way have dreamed of using such a high accuracy club for the second shot on a par 4 like that.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I agree that there are other issues to be dealt with...the ball comes first imo.
'No anchor 'is one small step for Tim Clark....a giant leap for the game of golf....or something like that.

BTW: as wonderful a player as Inbee Park is....and as wonderful as Sebonack was presented over the weekend on TV, the Open
came across as drab. No drama...no sizzle.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who is going to be the golfer(s) that will sue to stop the rule from going into effect? IMHO it will happen.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If one has an issue with a tremor it is very possible that such a malady would not affect full shots but could become critical when putting and that anchoring might or might not improve the situation.

Forms of tremors and their causes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If one has an issue with a tremor it is very possible that such a malady would not affect full shots but could become critical when putting and that anchoring might or might not improve the situation.

Forms of tremors and their causes.

I have tremors over every shot. I've also had the same putter for 40 years. It works well. My other clubs are new and definitely get me more yardage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have tremors over every shot. I've also had the same putter for 40 years. It works well. My other clubs are new and definitely get me more yardage.
I understand cohen but many tremors are likely to have less impact during the gross motor skills of the full swing then in the fine motor activity of the putt.

Clark's use of language seems to intentionally follow the argument of Martin(?) when he used the courts to gain access to the tour and a golf cart.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I understand cohen but many tremors are likely to have less impact during the gross motor skills of the full swing then in the fine motor activity of the putt.

Clark's use of language seems to intentionally follow the argument of Martin(?) when he used the courts to gain access to the tour and a golf cart.

I meant psychological tremors, a bad joke. I had no problem with Casey Martin because it really didn't change the basic tools of the trade. I did understand Jack Nicklaus and others objections, but it wasn't as if the other player had to carry their own bags. If the tour tried to ban such things as back, wrist or knee braces, I'd say they were nuts. But I have a different view of allowing special equipment that replaces regular equipment for professional competition.

Not meaning to be insensitive, but I think competitive sport has some basic theories as to what the competition entails. In pro sports, where money winnings are involved, there needs to be a good reason to allow special equipment to accommodate a particular participant's physical handicaps. It almost never involves changing the basic tools of the trade. The belly putter, if intended to be available to all competitors, and chosen by some because they think it steadies or perfects the stroke, that's a call for the PGA or USGA to make, just like any other innovative equipment. But if the ruling bodies say x equipment is not legal for competition, it becomes pretty sticky to allow exceptions so someone with a physical handicap can play. But I'm not going to lose sleep if Clark gets his way. I kinda like him.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ah, I suffer those, too. I don't disagree with your observations but was rather pointing out there may be a path to a legal challenge on the basis of a disadvantage to someone with legitimate physical handicap or malady. No one thought Casey Martin would win his suit to use a golf cart either .

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree that there are other issues to be dealt with...the ball comes first imo.
'No anchor 'is one small step for Tim Clark....a giant leap for the game of golf....or something like that.

BTW: as wonderful a player as Inbee Park is....and as wonderful as Sebonack was presented over the weekend on TV, the Open
came across as drab. No drama...no sizzle.

No competition = no sizzle. The course however was anything but drab.

Reaction Score
winning easily and so often, inbee park definitely cannot be good for women's golf.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If it were an American....any American would do... but Wie would be the chosen one, this run would be great for the tour.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't think Wie has the game anymore. I watched her for a while at the US Open and she seems to be more of a middle of the pack player now. Of the other top American players a winning Creamer might be the only one that could create some buzz on the tour. Lewis and Kerr are good players but they don't have the personality. Gulbis has the personality but not the game.

Incidentally. Brandell Chamblee did a bit on TGC about why Asian players are dominating the tour. While he gave a nod to work ethic, something that has long been my opinion, he said that much of their success is due to having a different swing. He presented several videos comparing the swings of American and Asian players. I don't know if he cherry picked swings to emphasize his point but there was certainly a difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom