OT:Petition to Ask ESPN to honor Lauren Hill with the Arthur Ashe Award | The Boneyard

OT:Petition to Ask ESPN to honor Lauren Hill with the Arthur Ashe Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's kind of rude. The decision has been made and those that don't like or respect the transexual's journey will have to live it. (Note: i followed Hill's story closely and even shed a tear when she passed). I would have been just as happy if Hill won it but it's really not up for discussion unless you are someone that wants to tear Jenner down by stating she is not the right choice. I find that insulting.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's kind of rude. The decision has been made and those that don't like or respect the transexual's journey will have to live it. (Note: i followed Hill's story closely and even shed a tear when she passed). I would have been just as happy if Hill won it but it's really not up for discussion unless you are someone that wants to tear Jenner down by stating she is not the right choice. I find that insulting.
Why it's really not for discussion?
I respect that everyone has his/her own opinion. But this board's purpose is to discuss and share different person's view.

Reaction Score
Why it's really not for discussion?
I respect that everyone has his/her own opinion. But this board's purpose is to discuss and share different person's view.

Well, frankly, it's ESPN's award and they can give it to whomever they like.

And more to the point, they give this out every year -- has there ever been another year where a petition was started asking for someone already chosen to be rejected and replaced with someone else? If that isn't rude and mean and petty, I don't know what is.

Lauren Hill was an amazing young woman, and I would have been perfectly fine with her getting the award. But I can't help feel that she's being used as prop to tear Jenner down rather than just appreciating her fight.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Well, frankly, it's ESPN's award and they can give it to whomever they like.

And more to the point, they give this out every year -- has there ever been another year where a petition was started asking for someone already chosen to be rejected and replaced with someone else? If that isn't rude and mean and petty, I don't know what is.

Lauren Hill was an amazing young woman, and I would have been perfectly fine with her getting the award. But I can't help feel that she's being used as prop to tear Jenner down rather than just appreciating her fight.

If this were reversed, we would be hearing of transgender discrimination from many sources. The Baseball Hall of Fame chooses who they wish to enshrine. Annually we hear of Pete Rose supporters arguing for his enshrinement. I don't hear that the argument that it is the Hall of Fame's business who they induct and its mean, petty and rude to interfere.

PS - Remember in the end this is about money for ESPN not dignity

http://pagesix.com/2015/06/04/heated-debate-over-why-caitlyn-jenner-gets-espy-award/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this were reversed, we would be hearing of transgender discrimination from many sources. The Baseball Hall of Fame chooses who they wish to enshrine. Annually we hear of Pete Rose supporters arguing for his enshrinement. I don't hear that the argument that it is the Hall of Fame's business who they induct and its mean, petty and rude to interfere.

Agree, all for the money.

We have, a formal olympic man change his sex, a female-female couple has domestic violence then got married then got pregnant, all in the center of ESPN news.

Do we have more positive news to show what is "courage"?

Reaction Score
I don't understand how selecting someone besides Jenner would be a hit on the transgender society. That's like saying not selecting Noah was a dig on Veterans. This award is about courage and as my avatar might imply, I'm with Lauren. Regardless of what anyone says, what arguments you may make, there is no comparison between Lauren's courage and that of Jenner's. I like Jenner and always have, but can not, under any circumstance, compare what he has done with that of a young woman in the highlight of her life going through what Lauren did and doing it the way she did. The story of her courage will inspire people for years to come. The fact ESPN went with Jenner doesn't surprise or upset me. They are just going with the flavor of the day to benefit their own interests. I

Reaction Score

http://pagesix.com/2015/06/04/heated-debate-over-why-caitlyn-jenner-gets-espy-award/
I disagree. I never thought Caitlyn Jenner was even being considered. I wouldn't have blinked an eye if they gave it to Lauryn Hill. I would have said congratulations and moved on like an adult and not try and disparage the award.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how selecting someone besides Jenner would be a hit on the transgender society. That's like saying not selecting Noah was a dig on Veterans. This award is about courage and as my avatar might imply, I'm with Lauren. Regardless of what anyone says, what arguments you may make, there is no comparison between Lauren's courage and that of Jenner's. I like Jenner and always have, but can not, under any circumstance, compare what he has done with that of a young woman in the highlight of her life going through what Lauren did and doing it the way she did. The story of her courage will inspire people for years to come. The fact ESPN went with Jenner doesn't surprise or upset me. They are just going with the flavor of the day to benefit their own interests. I

Thanks Tony, you said it better than I ever could.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have always thought of courage as being about choices, and while Lauren and Noah have shown fortitude in the face of adversity I am not sure their stories are that much about courage.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Agree, all for the money.

We have, a formal olympic man change his sex, a female-female couple has domestic violence then got married then got pregnant, all in the center of ESPN news.

Do we have more positive news to show what is "courage"?

And that's it right there, isn't it? You consider the switch "negative" news.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do not consider it courage for Jenner to have taken two years of coy baiting of the media that he and the rest of the Kardashian clan have gotten so good at, then line up a reality series, sell her interviews to ABC(?), etc etc. It also was not courageous for him to have lived the lie so long, impacting so many others.But more to the point I don't see it having anything to do with sport or breaking down barriers in sport.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not consider it courage for Jenner to have taken two years of coy baiting of the media that he and the rest of the Kardashian clan have gotten so good at, then line up a reality series, sell her interviews to ABC(?), etc etc. It also was not courageous for him to have lived the lie so long, impacting so many others.But more to the point I don't see it having anything to do with sport or breaking down barriers in sport.
Except of course Jenner is the only world class athlete of the three. And his choice is very similar to Ashe's which was to take a societally stigmatizing condition (AIDS) out of the closet. And of course there is no financial interest in Dancing with the Stars which is the only reason Noah is known to a wide audience, and Lauren's condition was used to raise a large amount of money for cancer research and 'sell' a lot of media and air time.
You may consider the monetization of publicly being trans-whatever Jenner identifies him/herself as being to disqualify - but the fact is it remains a condition that will get you locked up in a lot of countries in the world, and jeered and sneered at in many locations in the US if not physically abused or worse. And it has only been in the last few years that admitting to being trans has been mildly accepted within any strata of US society so 'living a lie' was not that much a choice but a necessity. A similar situation to being gay/lesbian 30 years ago.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Except of course Jenner is the only world class athlete of the three. And his choice is very similar to Ashe's which was to take a societally stigmatizing condition (AIDS) out of the closet. And of course there is no financial interest in Dancing with the Stars which is the only reason Noah is known to a wide audience, and Lauren's condition was used to raise a large amount of money for cancer research and 'sell' a lot of media and air time.
You may consider the monetization of publicly being trans-whatever Jenner identifies him/herself as being to disqualify - but the fact is it remains a condition that will get you locked up in a lot of countries in the world, and jeered and sneered at in many locations in the US if not physically abused or worse. And it has only been in the last few years that admitting to being trans has been mildly accepted within any strata of US society so 'living a lie' was not that much a choice but a necessity. A similar situation to being gay/lesbian 30 years ago.

Well said and several good points however I take exception to the way Caitlyn is going about this. As a public figure certainly the interest was there but it's a fair question to be asked if the motivation is one of monetary gain and/or outright exhibitionism over courage and leading a cultural breakthrough of acceptance. I don't dislike or disrespect anyone for their sexual orientation or religious views. But when I heard about that magazine cover followed by a reality show I couldn't help but think ESPN is playing the "ratings card" above all else. In other words "Strike while the iron is hot". Outside of wanting to be involved in some last basketball activities I don't think L. Hill profited a dime out of this. She unselfishly became a voice for the disease to combat it for those who follow. I'm just not convinced that Jenner's motivation is to also become a voice for those trans-gender individuals who follow. At this juncture the award would not and should not be changed. As someone said it's their award to give out as they see fit. I wish Jenner well and hope I'm wrong about her motivation, but I for one will respond by hurting ESPN in the only way they can comprehend. By not adding to the viewership of this years' ESPY awards.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well said and several good points however I take exception to the way Caitlyn is going about this. As a public figure certainly the interest was there but it's a fair question to be asked if the motivation is one of monetary gain and/or outright exhibitionism over courage and leading a cultural breakthrough of acceptance. I don't dislike or disrespect anyone for their sexual orientation or religious views. But when I heard about that magazine cover followed by a reality show I couldn't help but think ESPN is playing the "ratings card" above all else. In other words "Strike while the iron is hot". Outside of wanting to be involved in some last basketball activities I don't think L. Hill profited a dime out of this. She unselfishly became a voice for the disease to combat it for those who follow. I'm just not convinced that Jenner's motivation is to also become a voice for those trans-gender individuals who follow. At this juncture the award would not and should not be changed. As someone said it's their award to give out as they see fit. I wish Jenner well and hope I'm wrong about her motivation, but I for one will respond by hurting ESPN in the only way they can comprehend. By not adding to the viewership of this years' ESPY awards.
I don't disagree with anything you say, though I would suggest that whatever the commercialization and personal gain involved in Jenner's situation are, does not diminish the easing of the stigmatizing of those who follow, nor the fact that a majority of the country would still be uncomfortable to be in the same room with Jenner now that the situation is public.

And while I admire Lauren, and feel her story was exploited for very good causes, I was made uncomfortable by that exploitation - much the same as I was by Mo'ne's 'exploitation. I wondered if either situation was in the best interests of these young women and their families. As I do with most media frenzy situation and especially those involving young people who may get steamrolled by the frenzy without having the experience to fully understand what is happening.

To bring this back to Uconn - there is an element of this involved with crowd reactions to walk-ons at Uconn that I believe has been noted by a few players and coaches over the years. The over-reacting taking on a bit of a 'sideshow' character, while they are just tbeing good teammates and good players on the court.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more and I am not phobic on things gay etc. Do I totally understand it..NO, but I do associate courage with the men and women that are sleeping on the ground and coming under fire in the hell holes of the world and often sacrificing their lives so those that are this confused have that right. ESPN dropped the ball on this one. Obviously Bruce by another name gets ratings.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
nor the fact that a majority of the country would still be uncomfortable to be in the same room with Jenner now that the situation is public.

I wonder? There is cross dressing and there is gender reassignment - sort of two ends of a spectrum. Though there are unethical/sleazy surgeons who will doanything to anyone for $, true/proper gender reassignment surgeries are done only after some fairly extensive supervised introspection/ "role playing" for lack of a better word. I'd like to think that most in this country could be quite comfortable interacting with those whse gender identity to the outside world had switched.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'd like to think that most in this country could be quite comfortable interacting with those whse gender identity to the outside world had switched.
I would like to think this also, but we have only recently crossed the 50% threshold for gay marriage, and trans____ with much less exposure I believe is quite a ways away from that threshold.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would like to think this also, but we have only recently crossed the 50% threshold for gay marriage, and trans____ with much less exposure I believe is quite a ways away from that threshold.

I've never suffered fools gladly , or so my small circle of friends tell me, so I suspect my opinions on widely held views are askew!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Caitlin is the best looking Kardashian!

That's like saying that I'm the best Kentuckian hockey player you ever met: it may be true, but, it's not a demanding standard....;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The radio clowns that made this a thing spent this morning ripping Hope Solo. Why this morning? Why not any other day in the last year since her incidents? They chose to do it after she came up big in the WWC opener. Why? This petition is based on knocking Jenner and its sad that they are dragging Lauren into it. Beacuse if it wasn't her, it would be someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom