OT: Peter King MMQB on UConn | The Boneyard

OT: Peter King MMQB on UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
10. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

k. Wonder if the ACC noticed the UConn women winning their fourth straight national championship the other day, and the UConn men making the tournament and winning 25 games?

l. UConn football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball in 2015-16: 69-18.

m. Boston College football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball in 2015-16: 25-50.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

k. Wonder if the ACC noticed the UConn women winning their fourth straight national championship the other day, and the UConn men making the tournament and winning 25 games?

m. Boston College football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball in 2015-16: 25-50.
BC must have a good women's bb team.

Reaction Score

Outside a very few nobody outside the state of CT gives a damn about the women winning 4 straight titles. Nobody cares we won 25 games and nobody cares about our football team. As long as our football program is irrelevent we are going to have a difficult time getting into a P5 conference.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Outside a very few nobody outside the state of CT gives a damn about the women winning 4 straight titles. Nobody cares we won 25 games and nobody cares about our football team. As long as our football program is irrelevent we are going to have a difficult time getting into a P5 conference.
I'm going to nominate this the loser post of the year. It's ticks that category on so many levels.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm going to nominate this the loser post of the year. It's ticks that category on so many levels.
Well, he isn't wrong.
Women's basketball is not a mover and shaker in terms of conference realignment. I attended the rally at Gampel last week, the place was barely a quarter filled. People INSIDE Connecticut don't care greatly about the women winning their fourth straight title, let alone outside the state. 10 years ago, Gampel would've been filled to the brim, for the men or women.
Men's basketball is certainly our selling point, and it definitely helps our cause.
Let's face it, our football program as of right now IS irrelevant. But Diaco hopefully changes that.
Yes, it's going to be difficult to get into a P5. But, with that said, when/if expansion comes around for B1G, Big 12, ACC, etc., we are certainly among the best options. Our selling points are basketball and the NYC, Hartford/New Haven, Boston markets, whereas BYU and Cinci have more formidable football programs to pitch. We have a good shot if expansion happens, but, he's not wrong- it will be difficult.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Google it, see the dozens of articles on it and realize that you are wrong. I agree with @RayIsTheGOAT that it isn't opening any P5 doors for us on its own, but its phenomenal is recognized nationally and is a part of our brand.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
everybody loves window dressing, attention, positive coverage, HOF coaches, media coverage, Olympic participation

the women's entire tournament is on ESPN (nationwide for those pretending otherwise)

trying to compare it to football or even men's basketball would be wrong, saying "nobody cares' or it's "irrelevant" is equally as wrong

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

BC made the Frozen Four in the only sport they care about.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Google it, see the dozens of articles on it and realize that you are wrong. I agree with @RayIsTheGOAT that it isn't opening any P5 doors for us on its own, but its phenomenal is recognized nationally and is a part of our brand.
This. And I never denied the importance of football in CR talk but Rutgers demonstrated there are a lot more factors that conferences examine besides foot ball.

The women draw. Attendance in arenas goes up by as much as several thousand every time they go to a visiting campus. Eyeballs count for conferences that are trying to squeeze every dollar out of sports.

In addition what @TheChamps990411 wrote is that UConn football is irrelevant. That is debatable. Yes Hathaway was a disaster as an AD and chose a disaster HC in Pasqualoni, but Herbst has made some smart moves since her arrival by first getting rid of Hathaway and then getting AD's who recognized the value of a good football head coach. Diaco has the program heading in the right direction. They went to a bowl last season albeit not a high profile one. Still three years ago people were thinking football should be dropped because it was BC bad. Thank goodness there are people like Herbst who act instead of moan. (Or like Kemba who was proactive after the disastrous early seasons in Charlotte). These hires as well as hiring a person to increase UConn's endowment, as well as moves to make UConn AAU acceptable are all proactive actions by the university to increase chances to get into a P5 and were all points Champs left out.

Reaction Score
This. And I never denied the importance of football in CR talk but Rutgers demonstrated there are a lot more factors that conferences examine besides foot ball.

The women draw. Attendance in arenas goes up by as much as several thousand every time they go to a visiting campus. Eyeballs count for conferences that are trying to squeeze every dollar out of sports.

In addition what @TheChamps990411 wrote is that UConn football is irrelevant. That is debatable. Yes Hathaway was a disaster as an AD and chose a disaster HC in Pasqualoni, but Herbst has made some smart moves since her arrival by first getting rid of Hathaway and then getting AD's who recognized the value of a good football head coach. Diaco has the program heading in the right direction. They went to a bowl last season albeit not a high profile one. Still three years ago people were thinking football should be dropped because it was BC bad. Thank goodness there are people like Herbst who act instead of moan. (Or like Kemba who was proactive after the disastrous early seasons in Charlotte). These hires as well as hiring a person to increase UConn's endowment, as well as moves to make UConn AAU acceptable are all proactive actions by the university to increase chances to get into a P5 and were all points Champs left out.
c
Very good post but let me ask you this if our football program was regularly in the top 25 and had one a few bowl games over the last decade do you think we`d still be in the AAC right now?

Reaction Score
Conferences, and rivalries, breed success. UConn began it's basketball success by playing up its membership in the Big East. Coach C used to recruit kids by telling them they'd get to play against Patrick Ewing, and the like. In a good conference, we would learn how to rise to the top in football. Right conference; right coach; we win.

Reaction Score
c
Very good post but let me ask you this if our football program was regularly in the top 25 and had one a few bowl games over the last decade do you think we`d still be in the AAC right now?
We got passed over for Rutgers. That's how little athletic success matters. It was about cable boxes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Conferences, and rivalries, breed success. UConn began it's basketball success by playing up its membership in the Big East. Coach C used to recruit kids by telling them they'd get to play against Patrick Ewing, and the like. In a good conference, we would learn how to rise to the top in football. Right conference; right coach; we win.

You're not wrong, but now, the most important recruiting pitch is: I can get you to The League. How well a guy can do it is the differentiating factor. Conference is a part of that for sure.

Because of AAU, everybody has already played everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom