OT: Perils Insurance - Public Service Announcement | The Boneyard

OT: Perils Insurance - Public Service Announcement

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, at 3:06 (15:06) yesterday my posting was interrupted by what I thought was my gas furnace exploding. Big noise, whole house shook, big noise ... silence. Turned out to be an earth quake - a 3.0 almost beneath us. Our sleepy little town has been MT's earthquake center for the last 3 months and most you sleep through or barely notice 1.5 -2.0 stuff. 3 a day for 3 days, nothing for 4, 2, 0, 0 3 type pattern.

We built here with no thought of earthquakes (I was focused on a different kind of rattler) but had a bad shake 15 years ago and bought a earthquake rider. I always thought we looked into it and didn't do it, but low and behold it's been on the house policy for 15 years.

We live on almost solid rock and a small quake can be quite jarring and can damage stuff.

The most common thing we hear of in the national news is the intricacies of flood insurance, but you may want to consider other hazards next time your agent calls.

Did I mention it's -18 here this morning?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, at 3:06 (15:06) yesterday my posting was interrupted by what I thought was my gas furnace exploding. Big noise, whole house shook, big noise ... silence. Turned out to be an earth quake - a 3.0 almost beneath us. Our sleepy little town has been MT's earthquake center for the last 3 months and most you sleep through or barely notice 1.5 -2.0 stuff. 3 a day for 3 days, nothing for 4, 2, 0, 0 3 type pattern.

We built here with no thought of earthquakes (I was focused on a different kind of rattler) but had a bad shake 15 years ago and bought a earthquake rider. I always thought we looked into it and didn't do it, but low and behold it's been on the house policy for 15 years.

We live on almost solid rock and a small quake can be quite jarring and can damage stuff.

The most common thing we hear of in the national news is the intricacies of flood insurance, but you may want to consider other hazards next time your agent calls.

Sounds like your TV was damaged. Time for a new 70".

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

-18? It is 72 F here today. At -18, I do not know if it was an earthquake, or was your state just shivering? ;):eek:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Timely. We are visiting LA where my son lives I always hope that if a big one hits when we visit I’m not in the shower or on the potty.

I’ve slept through a 4.1 out here. My son has been here since 1997 and been through several. His in laws used to live in Fullerton and had a fair amount of house damage from a relatively minor quake but it was centered a few blocks from their place. They’ve since moved, but not that far and still in earthquake central.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The first can relate to Mother Earth, the original.

Be safe Rocky man.

The only version IMO! One of the best songs ever, and certainly a huge part of all the rock 'n roll that followed. And now I am about to get in that kitchen and make some noise with those pots and pans lunchtime! :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The only version IMO! One of the best songs ever, and certainly a huge part of all the rock 'n roll that followed. And now I am about to get in that kitchen and make some noise with those pots and pans lunchtime! :D

Ah, hard core lunch. Me, I went out and bought a pasty. Now I have to get up the nerve to heat and eat it! (Rolaids, check) I believe it was the Irish RR and mine workers who embedded pasties in our culture.

Reaction Score

are they doing any fracking nearby or was this really a naturally occurring event?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
are they doing any fracking nearby or was this really a naturally occurring event?

Good question, but naturally occurring @Charlieball. No, no fracking for hundreds of miles. Heck I remember a similar event when I was 11-12 in White Plains, NY. When things like this occur I remember a certain black comedy routine of this guy; a brilliant comic and comedy is rooted in pain they tell us:

Reaction Score
Good question, but naturally occurring @Charlieball. No, no fracking for hundreds of miles. Heck I remember a similar event when I was 11-12 in White Plains, NY. When things like this occur I remember a certain black comedy routine of this guy; a brilliant comic and comedy is rooted in pain they tell us:

I was visiting my then girlfriend (now wife) in Los Angeles when a little earthquake took place centered in Northridge...............needless to say I was helping her move back to the East Coast within a week of that bad situation..............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was visiting my then girlfriend (now wife) in Los Angeles when a little earthquake took place centered in Northridge.....needless to say I was helping her move back to the East Coast within a week of that bad situation....

So you asked higher powers and they delivered for you. Glad it worked out.

Me, I'm a fatalist about Moma Nature, which is why I'm good with living an hour as the crow flies from Yellowstone.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last week during the cold snap we had a series of cryoseisms (big word for frost quakes) that were loud enough to make me think a cannon had gone off in our back yard. It took me a while to figure out what it was. It was all coming from an area where I had buried some large (VW size) boulders 30 years ago. In the morning I went out and there was a 3' diameter sink hole in the area that's at least 10' deep.
We experienced a "mild" 2 AM quake in South Carolina in the early 70s. It woke us up sounding like a freight train was going through our bedroom. Our bed literally scooted across the hardwood floor as windows rattled and stuff fell of shelves. Scared the crap out of me and I can only imagine what a big one feels like.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Ah, hard core lunch. Me, I went out and bought a pasty. Now I have to get up the nerve to heat and eat it! (Rolaids, check) I believe it was the Irish RR and mine workers who embedded pasties in our culture.
Maybe Cornish miners. It is a dish from Cornwall.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe Cornish miners. It is a dish from Cornwall.

I think it spread all over the British Isles over time. Success is never an orphan and all that! Like the Philly Cheese Steak wars that break out whenever Geno walks by. My Beef Pasty today was produced in Butte and is a "Truzzolino's Beef Pasty", so go figure. A calzone without the cheese and tomatoes!! I can see Mrs. Truzzolino's food wagon at the mine entrance now....:D Or maybe Mrs. Truzzolino slipped an enchilada into a pasty pastry so the miners would eat it! Food: origins and evolution. Always fascinating.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I think it spread all over the British Isles over time. Success is never an orphan and all that! Like the Philly Cheese Steak wars that break out whenever Geno walks by. My Beef Pasty today was produced in Butte and is a "Truzzolino's Beef Pasty", so go figure. A calzone without the cheese and tomatoes!! I can see Mrs. Truzzolino's food wagon at the mine entrance now....:D Or maybe Mrs. Truzzolino slipped an enchilada into a pasty pastry so the miners would eat it! Food: origins and evolution. Always fascinating.
Found a story about an Irish Butte pie that was eaten by Irish miners, and dynamiters in the copper mines.

Reaction Score
There was a 3.3 here in eastern CT a few years ago. I also thought that the furnace exploded. Ran outside to see the neighbors outside, too. Took us a minute to figure out what happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom