OT: people you were surprised to find out can sing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: people you were surprised to find out can sing

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There isn't a single person listed on this thread that could or could've made a living off of their singing. I'm glad they all had/have day jobs.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There isn't a single person listed on this thread that could or could've made a living off of their singing. I'm glad they all had/have day jobs.
Well, I think I could have retired comfortably off of what Patrick Swayze made from "She's like the Wind", which hit #3 on the Billboard Charts, and #1 on the Contemporary charts. The song became a big part of the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, which sold over 30 million copies and spent 18 weeks at #1 in the US. He also wrote the song, so he gets residuals from every cover of it. When he died, Patrick Swayze was worth $40 million, so he didn't do too bad...

SONG FACTS

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well, I think I could have retired comfortably off of what Patrick Swayze made from "She's like the Wind", which hit #3 on the Billboard Charts, and #1 on the Contemporary charts. The song became a big part of the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, which sold over 30 million copies and spent 18 weeks at #1 in the US. He also wrote the song, so he gets residuals from every cover of it. When he died, Patrick Swayze was worth $40 million, so he didn't do too bad...

SONG FACTS
Just because his singing career was born on third base, don't believe for a second he hit a triple. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Jim Nabors was well known as a singer. I'm not saying he was a star, and I don't know how well he sold, but he did do it for part of his living. Another one was Ed Ames, who was probably better known - and better at it - than Jim Nabors.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Jim Nabors was well known as a singer. I'm not saying he was a star, and I don't know how well he sold, but he did do it for part of his living. Another one was Ed Ames, who was probably better known - and better at it - than Jim Nabors.
Ed Ames started as a singer, as a member of the Ames Brothers.

JordyG

Reaction Score
As I said, I don't think any of these people could have had a successful singing career without their TV celebrity as actors. Ed Ames, yes, started as a singer, so I'll allow him an exception that reinforces the rule.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Milli Vanilli literally couldn't sing at all and managed to make a living in the music industry for a while faking it. Other singers are basically studio creations w/out any real talent. Hello autotune. I find your assertion to be not necessarily true. A lot of the music industry is more about image than talent, unfortunately.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Lee Marvin in "Paint You Wagon" sings "I was born under a wandering star"

JordyG

Reaction Score
Milli Vanilli literally couldn't sing at all and managed to make a living in the music industry for a while faking it. Other singers are basically studio creations w/out any real talent. Hello autotune. I find your assertion to be not necessarily true. A lot of the music industry is more about image than talent, unfortunately.
Milli Vanilli had one hit record. If you think that's making a living in the industry, even a halfway decent one, you have no idea how the music business works.

First, those guys didn't write the song, so they had no publishing rights (and the song was written by committee, so even those writers get little). Since they signed a record contract (probably 3 to 5 years and a certain number of albums required) that initial money fronted to them by the record company was recouped by record sales. Further, because they probably didn't make the requisite number of albums their contract required they were most likely in breech of contract. Almost as bad, on the recording only one of their voices was used. The other voice was a session guy. So MV made virtually no money on the record. They probably owed the record company because of their breech. They only made money on live performances, and you can guess how that went over since they had so few.

So you've clearly struck out on that example. Try another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone remember Darla Hood from the Little Rascals? I was somewhat surprised to learn that she had singing career as an adult.

That is a surprise. And here I away's thought it was Alfalfa with the musical talent and who was going to make it big as a singer. He could do it all crooning -Opera etc. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Milli Vanilli had one hit record. If you think that's making a living in the industry, even a halfway decent one, you have no idea how the music business works.

First, those guys didn't write the song, so they had no publishing rights (and the song was written by committee, so even those writers get little). Since they signed a record contract (probably 3 to 5 years and a certain number of albums required) that initial money fronted to them by the record company was recouped by record sales. Further, because they probably didn't make the requisite number of albums their contract required they were most likely in breech of contract. Almost as bad, on the recording only one of their voices was used. The other voice was a session guy. So MV made virtually no money on the record. They probably owed the record company because of their breech. They only made money on live performances, and you can guess how that went over since they had so few.

So you've clearly struck out on that example. Try another.
Well a couple things, they had 3 #1 hits. ("Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, Blame It On The Rain" and "Baby Don't Forget My Number"). Neither Rob or Fab sang on the recording, as it had already been recorded by studio musicians before they were hired. Rob died in the late 90's but Fab is still in the business. But yea, I don't believe they got much, if any of the profits from the recordings. They were given some upfront money when they signed. That's what was held over their heads to get them to lip synch. Or else they would have had to pay the money back.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well a couple things, they had 3 #1 hits. ("Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, Blame It On The Rain" and "Baby Don't Forget My Number"). Neither Rob or Fab sang on the recording, as it had already been recorded by studio musicians before they were hired. Rob died in the late 90's but Fab is still in the business. But yea, I don't believe they got much, if any of the profits from the recordings. They were given some upfront money when they signed. That's what was held over their heads to get them to lip synch. Or else they would have had to pay the money back.
Again. Back in the day when acts signed their initial contracts it was usually a 3-5 year deal. Record labels depended on the natural cycle of groups or bands which was 3-5 years before they broke up. That contract specifically stipulated a requisite number of albums a group had to produce during that period. Failure to do so was a breech of that contract. Since most bands didn't last the length of their contracts they usually ended up in breech of that contract. Remember Princes struggles with Sony records? Upfront money was given so that the band could pay for studio time to produce that first album, sometimes the second. Bands literally got pennies on the sale of each record. The label recouped their upfront money on the sale of those records. Much of the publishing rights were signed over the to the label, although by MV's time most went to the authors. However this song was written by committee, so residuals for each time the record was played anywhere was split by I believe at least 3 to 4 people.

Bands to this day know their monies are made by performing, not record sales. Which is why they set hundreds of dates worldwide yearly. Many bands today release on the own label and assume the cost of studio time, extra musicians, pressing, promotion and distribution, which can be formidable. Some bands today release their music free online, even though the age of the giant record label and A & R people are over.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again. Back in the day when acts signed their initial contracts it was usually a 3-5 year deal. Record labels depended on the natural cycle of groups or bands which was 3-5 years before they broke up. That contract specifically stipulated a requisite number of albums a group had to produce during that period. Failure to do so was a breech of that contract. Since most bands didn't last the length of their contracts they usually ended up in breech of that contract. Remember Princes struggles with Sony records? Upfront money was given so that the band could pay for studio time to produce that first album, sometimes the second. Bands literally got pennies on the sale of each record. The label recouped their upfront money on the sale of those records. Much of the publishing rights were signed over the to the label, although by MV's time most went to the authors. However this song was written by committee, so residuals for each time the record was played anywhere was split by I believe at least 3 to 4 people.

Bands to this day know their monies are made by performing, not record sales. Which is why they set hundreds of dates worldwide yearly. Many bands today release on the own label and assume the cost of studio time, extra musicians, pressing, promotion and distribution, which can be formidable. Some bands today release their music free online, even though the age of the giant record label and A & R people are over.
I was just letting you know what happened with them.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
off-track.jpg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Former Sixers star player and Trailblazers head coach Maurice Cheeks may not have a great voice, but he knew the words and in 2003 came to the aid of this young woman struggling to get through the National Anthem. Great moment.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom