OT -People: Get Outside | The Boneyard

OT -People: Get Outside

Reaction Score
Living on a ranch in Northeastern NM you have to get outside. Weather is very good, but lots of things to do especially taking care of the stock and getting the first 500 acres of hay in the ground. Besides that, it's Spring Trout season and even though the run off from the mountains is quick, it still is a good time to go fishing. I still love riding Gracie, my pet horse, around and just taking in the sights and visiting Sam, my stud bull who has been retired. I still think that he likes the ladies.

I do hope that you folks have the chance to get outside and enjoy some of the Spring. Take a walk with your pets, or just do it for exercise. Remember to maintain your Social Distance. Share what you folks are doing for the Spring and what you are doing to get outside for some fresh air.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Florida weather has been magnificent the last few days. A/C is off, winds and sliders are open, front door is open and the air flow and slight breeze is refreshing.

Bike ride every morning - without mask and gloves - much to the consternation of some of our community's residents. Wife gets her 4+ mile walk in late mornings/ early afternoon.

Reaction Score
Take care of cattle, build fence, conservation work with a track hoe, fertilize pastures and hay meadow, and, if had time, ride my horse for pleasure. At the moment, in town to get a cup of coffee. Storm last night broke utility poles, so no electricity at home.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a lot of spring here yet. Well lot's of rain, but mostly still in the 40's. A couple days here and there it'll get up to 60. Probably one of the coldest April's I can remember. Where the heck is that global warming when you need it???? :mad: :cool:

Reaction Score
Weather has been crappy in Connecticut this month. Cold and dreary including some snow too. The northwest part of the state has seen snow a half dozen times in the last couple of weeks. Even Hartford had a couple inches of snow about a week ago. If people had to be locked indoors, this was a good time to do it since the weather usually doesn't start turning nice until later into May. I guess this is why the old people all move south when they retire.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Living on a ranch in Northeastern NM you have to get outside.
New York may brag about its restaurants and being a foodie capital but I'll take New Mexico for the best Mexican and Southwest cuisine bar none. Including you, Bobby Flay! I thought Santa Fe had the best restaurants. Sometimes even though I was in Albuquerque, I would drive to Santa Fe for dinner at the Coyote Cafe or La Tertulia (no more). I called on Sandia National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and White Sands. Oh! I spent a year one night in Carlsbad. I was calling on the AEC's WIPP, Waste Isolation Pilot Plant. I was too much of a workaholic. So I didn't get to Taos. Where are you located relative to the intersection of 87 and 412 which would be Clayton? Isn't Clayton a livestock hub? So you drive your cattle into Clayton? ;) Is your land on the high plains? Semi-arid? Where does your water come from? Snow pack? River irrigation? As a kid my father "farmed" me out to a neighboring dairy farm. Satisfying but hard work it was. You take care and enjoy your piece of the Land of Enchantment.

Reaction Score
Spring is over in AZ. Saturday was our first 100 degree day, been over 100 every day since. Tomatoes are already outgrowing the large (5 ft) wire cones, grass in the parks is past its soft, green prime and starting to get crunchy. But it's a dry heat :cool::cool:

Reaction Score
Not a lot of spring here yet. Well lot's of rain, but mostly still in the 40's. A couple days here and there it'll get up to 60. Probably one of the coldest April's I can remember. Where the heck is that global warming when you need it???? :mad: :cool:
Global warming alive and well here in Tucson. 100+ for the next 3 days challenging records and mid to upper 90s beyond that. With 7% humidity it's very comfortable.

Reaction Score
New York may brag about its restaurants and being a foodie capital but I'll take New Mexico for the best Mexican and Southwest cuisine bar none. Including you, Bobby Flay! I thought Santa Fe had the best restaurants. Sometimes even though I was in Albuquerque, I would drive to Santa Fe for dinner at the Coyote Cafe or La Tertulia (no more). I called on Sandia National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and White Sands. Oh! I spent a year one night in Carlsbad. I was calling on the AEC's WIPP, Waste Isolation Pilot Plant. I was too much of a workaholic. So I didn't get to Taos. Where are you located relative to the intersection of 87 and 412 which would be Clayton? Isn't Clayton a livestock hub? So you drive your cattle into Clayton? ;) Is your land on the high plains? Semi-arid? Where does your water come from? Snow pack? River irrigation? As a kid my father "farmed" me out to a neighboring dairy farm. Satisfying but hard work it was. You take care and enjoy your piece of the Land of Enchantment.

You ever hear of "Wagon Mound"? THE big city. West.

Reaction Score
Running, multiple walks, searching for sea glass on the beach. There is an advantage to living on the water, always something to look at, even (or especially) during bad weather.

Reaction Score
Spring is over in AZ. Saturday was our first 100 degree day, been over 100 every day since. Tomatoes are already outgrowing the large (5 ft) wire cones, grass in the parks is past its soft, green prime and starting to get crunchy. But it's a dry heat :cool::cool:
That's crazy. It was just in the 20s here the other morning. The weatherman says 60s this weekend, so that will feel like a heat wave.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Walks are an imperative these days since my athletic club got shut down. I try to do 2 a day although neither is all that long. I'll head to my gym later to see if they have reopened. Phase one of businesses reopening started Sunday. Our Gallatin County reports no active CV 19 cases as of today; we'd had more cases than any other county. "Course that can reverse and there may be an number of asymptomatic folks wandering around, but I like it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

NYC does have some very fine restaurants with a price to go with it. As does the Danbury, CT area were we lived since 1975.

Now we have found some absolutely great restaurants here in central Florida. We have a wide variety of choices from Japanese/ Chinese food to small Mexican ones to a Mom and Pop Italian restaurant with fantastic linguine with red clam sauce. We have the small, hole in the wall places that look like shacks but serve great food. We have our upscale ones the we frequent every couple of months - Italian (Arabella's) and steak houses (Fire Restaurant). One of our favorites is a New England seafood restaurant in Celebration whose parent company is Kelley's in Boston. Best fried whole clams ever! And great cole slaw too.

Reaction Score
Living on a ranch in Northeastern NM you have to get outside. Weather is very good, ...

I do hope that you folks have the chance to get outside and enjoy some of the Spring. Take a walk with your pets, or just do it for exercise. Remember to maintain your Social Distance.

I think I should call the gub'ner to see if that's ok. It's not clear to me that Hartford has reached the peak yet and you want me to decide to go out for a walk all on my own? Radical libertarians. :eek::eek::eek:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Impressive: very old and leader.
Up here in the NE Kingdom we have hoopsfan's weather+

But no complaints from me...in an ordinary year, it would have been a great spring skiing season with Jay, Sugarbush, and Killington (at least) still going strong as May approaches...

Still, fine for walks...there is a nice rail trail a half mile away
and the weather today is quite lovely.

The trail opens nice 3+ mile circuit ending with a steep hill, that serves. We did it this morning

I can't wait for Vermont to ease use of parks so that we can shoot hoops.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Snow flurries yesterday morning here on the coast of Maine. 55°F today.
Been pruning fruit trees and half an acre of blackberry canes, weeding
invasive plants, dividing clumps of hemerocalis (daylillies) to give to good new neighbors. Admiring the scilla sIberica and the first daffodil to bloom this spring.
Listening to the peepers, cardinals, crows, and watching the osprey and bald eagles floating overhead. Now that prospects for a hard frost are past, will start direct sowing beets and radishes, to join the seedlings covering so many window sills and tables indoors. A glorious springtime is just around the corner—said the perpetual optimist, crossing fingers.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Global warming alive and well here in Tucson. 100+ for the next 3 days challenging records and mid to upper 90s beyond that. With 7% humidity it's very comfortable.
Lucky. :cool:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I try to walk 3-4 miles a day but my routine has been somewhat disrupted after the fire. We lived within easy walking distance of a cinder track and also a nature preserve with hiking trails. Now we're a bit more urban and sidewalk walks just aren't the same.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Walks are an imperative these days since my athletic club got shut down. I try to do 2 a day although neither is all that long. I'll head to my gym later to see if they have reopened. Phase one of businesses reopening started Sunday. Our Gallatin County reports no active CV 19 cases as of today; we'd had more cases than any other county. "Course that can reverse and there may be an number of asymptomatic folks wandering around, but I like it.
We're shut down til May 18th. (at least) We've got 3500+ active cases in our county with 346 deaths, so far.

Reaction Score
Living on a ranch in Northeastern NM you have to get outside.

Love NM and the western states, lived in Colorado for 12 years. A couple years ago I wrote a photo article for Nature Photographer magazine focused on NM and Colorado. Another time when I was in NM a number of years ago, I got lost in the Bisti Badlands one afternoon - what a great place full of hoodoos, arroyos, washes, and gullies- all designed by nature to mesmerize and confuse us hikers. :D

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Now we have found some absolutely great restaurants here in central Florida.
When I called on Kennedy Space Center and surrounding aerospace companies, my partner lived in Kissimmee, Fl. He intoduced me to the Mango Tree restaurant in Cocoa Beach. It was in a big old house. The food was outstanding. However, like La Tertulia it is no longer. Man, I am old.

Reaction Score

100 in AZ, that's like 80 in the swamp belt from Houston to Atlanta!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Too many bears out there!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member