OT: Pedro Morales passes away @ 76. | The Boneyard

OT: Pedro Morales passes away @ 76.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Loved him. Who was the bigger Latin wrestler. Pedro or Mil?

Its not really an apples to apples comparison.

Mil was one of the few of that era who worked and booked like Andre the Giant where he wasnt tied to a single promotion/territory for any length of time. He would travel all over the world and do one off spot shows on big cards. His fame was international.

Pedro was a territory worker. And a real good one at that.

But for the 70's 80's era as far as internationally known workers, there was Andre, Mil, and whoever held the NWA strap at the time.

Everyone else did territory runs for periods of time and then moved on to the next. It kept things fresh. For example in the middle of Brunos reign from the 60's and 70's Bruno briefly dropped the belt to Ivan Koloff. Pedro then became WWWF champion for a bit before dropping to Stan the Man Stasiak, who Bruno then took the title off of for another run. Pedro than wrestled other territories for next 5 years before coming back to New York and upper carding there again.

Great worker!

Reaction Score
jack-black-nacho-libre-2006-bpprwr.jpg

Reaction Score
LOL at the Intercontinental Belt. A lesser championship used to promote the exaggerated ethnic stereotype wrestlers. Salvatore Bellomo, Ivan Putski, Tito Santana, etc.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
LOL at the Intercontinental Belt. A lesser championship used to promote the exaggerated ethnic stereotype wrestlers. Salvatore Bellomo, Ivan Putski, Tito Santana, etc.

two of those 3 guys never held the IC belt you dope.

The IC Belt in the 80's was fantastic. Because you would get title changes.

Back then the World Champion belt NEVER changed Backlaund had it for years and then Hogan for years.

the IC belt put some drama on the undercard and some of the best WWF matches from 79- to say 89 were for that belt.

the best match on the card of world renown WM3 (Hulk Andre) was the Steamboat Savage match for the IC.

THIS is an impressive roster of title holders

Capture.JPG

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
two of those 3 guys never held the IC belt you dope.

The IC Belt in the 80's was fantastic. Because you would get title changes.

Back then the World Champion belt NEVER changed Backlaund had it for years and then Hogan for years.

the IC belt put some drama on the undercard and some of the best WWF matches from 79- to say 89 were for that belt.

the best match on the card of world renown WM3 (Hulk Andre) was the Steamboat Savage match for the IC.

THIS is an impressive roster of title holders

View attachment 39577

Wow. Honky Tonk Man held it longer than anyone else and there're some impressive names on there who held the belt during their prime.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
SMH at adults who think they are the harbinger of all things serious and righteous and not realizing other adults are having fun and joking.

Would I out myself if I told you guys I watch early 80's wrestling from multiple territories that I torrented in weekly episodes by the year?

Im in the middle of watching Mid-South territory 1984 right now. What a roster and the feuds were smoking hot!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
While the old guys weren't high flyers- the wrestling told a story. Good guys vs bad guys - good versus evil. Bruno, Pedro, Nick Bockwinkel, etc weren't great on the microphone but were awesome in the ring.

Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Superstar Billy Graham, Jesse Ventura, Hogan, Savage were great on the microphone and that ushered in the age of the promo. then the age of ECW and the high flyers and crazy moves - Sabu, Rey Mysterio and Rob Van Dam. Nowadays, the wrestlers are great , but the story telling isn't as good in my estimation.

Reaction Score
Mil Máscaras WAS Lucha Libre back when I was a kid. I have no recollection of Pedro. Then again, I stopped watching wrestling when I was 16 or so.
Pedro was huge from PR up to Maine and west to Buff/Pittsburgh. Mil Mascaras was bigger out west but traveled the world and also made movies in Mexico.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Would I out myself if I told you guys I watch early 80's wrestling from multiple territories that I torrented in weekly episodes by the year?

Im in the middle of watching Mid-South territory 1984 right now. What a roster and the feuds were smoking hot!

One of my older sisters insists when I was a littlin' and Superfly Snuka and others would get their heads split open that I'd go up to the TV and try to look underneath the red X's to see the blood.

Mid-South around that time had a good roster.

Reaction Score
SMH at adults who think they are the harbinger of all things serious and righteous and not realizing other adults are having fun and joking.
Because we were kids when they were big. So a part of our childhood died. Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!!!!!!!!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sorry you didnt pay attention to the golden age of wrestling, before Vince McMahon (and cable TV) ruined it. You are the right age to have taken advantage of it.

It was top shelf entertainment.

I stopped watching around 72-73. Bruno was still around. Ivan Putski was a top good guy. And Mil, of course, on Lucha Libre. Haystacks was in decline as was George the Animal Steele (whom I admit was hugely entertaining) and Verne Gagne. But I watched all those guys as a kid. I remember ex-NFLers like Wahoo McDaniel, Ernie Ladd and others in some matches.

I went to a match at Stamford High School when I was 15 or so. Putski and Koloff were the main card, IIRC (although possible it was Iron Shiek). Koloff "used" a can opener to cut Putski's forehead. It was so comically fake watching in person, without the announcing hyping up the action. I simply never understood the appeal once one got past puberty and started dating...

See last line above. Not suggesting one should be serious. But man, with all the diversions available, why pick wrestling?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pedro was huge from PR up to Maine and west to Buff/Pittsburgh. Mil Mascaras was bigger out west but traveled the world and also made movies in Mexico.

I grew up in Stamford and we all knew of and watched Mil and all the libradores. Might've been UHF channel 49 for all I remember, but Lucha Libre was THE wrestling show to watch. Never heard of Pedro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom