OT: Pedro DeBrito, RIP | The Boneyard

OT: Pedro DeBrito, RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A former UConn soccer great, Pedro died over the weekend from injuries suffered in a car crash. It's sad and ironic timing for me as he was one of the reasons I went fron soccer hater to soccer fan. His time at UConn mirrored mine as well as being the most successful 4-year stretch in program history. UConn was a power every year he was there and won the whole thing when he was a senior. He assisted on both goals in the National Championship game. He was a great college player from his first game as a frosh. I never really met him aside from being in the same pick-up hoop games once in awhile.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's horrible.

The summer before I entered high school was '81 and I went to Connecticut Soccer School. I played goalie and to this day I still remember Pedro peppering me with shots one morning as we waited for the day to start. It was so cool watching them in the fall win it all.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I was only 14 in '81, but used to go to most of the games on campus with my brother who was a student there. Great times watching him, Comrie, both Morrone's and others. I also learned some things from the North Goal Gang. I know I watched the championship on TV and am assuming it was on ESPN, but that detail escapes me. We were America's Team, especially when compared to A&M.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
RIP. He's a UConn legend.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget The Famed Juju magic game .
PD, and EC , were big time players.

For those of you that didn't watch A&M was essentially all Nigerian.
Their custom was to wave handkerchiefs at the opposing team to give them bad JuJu just before the kickoff
The Huskies were prepared and countered by waving their own handkerchiefs .
This kind of surprised them and we went on to win the NC.

Reaction Score
What a sad story.... God Bless Pedro!! He was amazing for us..... I remember he was functionally so good..... the contrast to Elvis Comrie's improv slick moves..... when Pedro had the ball you knew he was going to do the right thing with it..... as evidenced by fact that he assisted on both goals in national championship game...... Thank you for being so great, Pedro.

Reaction Score
IIRC, his goal in the NC game was a laser from about 30 yds. I remember Joe Marrone jumping on the pile at the end of the game. Good times.

Reaction Score
A former UConn soccer great, Pedro died over the weekend from injuries suffered in a car crash. It's sad and ironic timing for me as he was one of the reasons I went fron soccer hater to soccer fan. His time at UConn mirrored mine as well as being the most successful 4-year stretch in program history. UConn was a power every year he was there and won the whole thing when he was a senior. He assisted on both goals in the National Championship game. He was a great college player from his first game as a frosh. I never really met him aside from being in the same pick-up hoop games once in awhile.

RIP to Pedro. what a great, great player. I was a frosh his senior year and remember perhaps the most amazing individual play I have ever seen in person at a UCONN match and that was when Pedro curled a corner kick into the goal. what a player!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom