OT: Paul Simon Homeward Bound tour | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Paul Simon Homeward Bound tour

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He must have been awesome at SPAC. While SPAC is an outdoor venue in the design of a Meadows or Greatwoods, it is tiny by comparison.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hmm seems the source is likely Garfunkel or his associates.
In reality, Garfunkel receives too much credit. The name of the group should have been: SIMON and Garfunkel

Can't agree enough. I caught him on YES telling the story of Garfunkel's plan for the group after Bridge. Art told Paul that he would go make movies for 6 months while Paul would write songs for the new album To this day Garfunkle is one of the least self-aware people on the planet. Having said that I have no interest in seeing him. I bet the Tull show last week would be better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I bet the Tull show last week would be better.
I have no idea how they are now, but I saw Jethro Tull in the Netherlands in the late 80s it was a great show. Ian Anderson alone is worth the price of admission, but the whole production was pretty impressive.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Saw him in Boston this past June. What an incredibly moving experience.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can't agree enough. I caught him on YES telling the story of Garfunkel's plan for the group after Bridge. Art told Paul that he would go make movies for 6 months while Paul would write songs for the new album To this day Garfunkle is one of the least self-aware people on the planet. Having said that I have no interest in seeing him. I bet the Tull show last week would be better.

There is no Tull. Just ask Martin Barre.

Anderson's band didn't visit Pittsburgh on their current tour and looks like Barre's band isn't either. Which is too bad because I'd actually consider seeing what Barre's been doing with the old Tull stuff as it sounds like an interesting project and not an "oldies show" like Anderson's band is putting on. Seems Barre's band is up in your neck of the woods most of the next 4 weeks.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
there was an (unconfirmed) rumor of a Paul Simon show at the Capitol this Sunday night (9/23). But it turns out the "surprise show" is Aziz Ansari. What a let down.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The funny (ironic?) thing is that Americans didn't really want any part of the real thing - Johnny Clegg and Jaluka/Savuka, even though Johnny Carson thought the music was special enough to have on numerous times.

The linked stories that tell of Simon's transformative encounter with Heidi Berg's unlabeled African cassette is very much like when an acquaintance gave me two unmarked soukous cassettes in 1981 and told be they came from his parents who were Peace Corps workers in Tanzania. At the time, I had a record collection numbering >2500, and I had never heard anything like this music, but it was instantly some of my favorite music ever. My opinion has not altered over time. To this day, I don't know who it was, but it was in the vein of Kanda Bongo Man, Loketo, Nyboma, "Guitar Paradise of East Africa," and other compulsively joyous gems of Afro-Pop.

For my tastes, the premier American multicultural musical collaborator has been Ry Cooder.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no Tull. Just ask Martin Barre.

I said Tull because it was shorter than Ian Anderson Presents the 50th Anniversary of Jethro Tull. I should have figured someone would see fit to mansplain.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Earlier this year he did a show in Boston, and it was on my radar to grab tickets - really wanted to see that show.

Alas, daughter #2 was graduating from high school that night...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Simon apologised to Los Lobos and added a credit.
People will never get over this. They showed Simon how to play that style.
Paul is a genius who has produced amazing work in a variety of styles. More creative than most and a top lyricist of his generation, any generation. Plus he was in Annie Hall and was notable on SNL and married Princess Leia.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
whelp.......

I now have 2 tickets for Saturday for sale that may be up for grabs here if the guy at work passes on them. will know later today.

file this under when being a moonlighting pro musician doesnt pay. Disappointed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he hasn't, I haven't heard of such a thing.

Maybe not. He certainly should have. But I also don't believe that Simon's career was near death and Lo s Lobos saved his career.Or that Simon was clueless in the recording studio. That just tells me how angry Berlin was.

Reaction Score
OMG! Love that movie!

91jv4qJxMtL._SY445_.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks for checking in, and I'm glad you had a good time.

My dissent is with your closing sentence, which may be helpful for some but traffics in irrelevance for me.

When Dylan and Simon shared a tour in 1999, they alternated nights as lead and opening acts, as though they were artistic peers. Simon opened the Jones Beach (NY) concert with a perfectly fine & representative performance that met expectations and pleased the crowd. Dylan aimed lower and soared far higher, except for those hung up (as I once was) on his singing voice. The gap between the two was quite evident that night, and a lifetime of recordings & live sets bears it out.

I'll concede that personal preference is the controlling factor, but not that there's much value in a direct comparison between the artists, then or now.
Saw Dylan with Merle Haggard several years back. He was doing his usual braying through his nose when all of a sudden he sang a verse of Like a Rolling Stone in his 60's/70's radio voice. I said to my friend, as usual, he is "messing with us"....I used a different word, but you get the gist. He has consistently messed with his audience refusing to "give them what they want"...think he never got over Newport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom