OT: Paul Simon Homeward Bound tour | The Boneyard

OT: Paul Simon Homeward Bound tour

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm on record here numerous times about how I won't spend money to see old rockers. While Simon isn't exactly a "rocker", he is 77 and for those of us of a certain age, is the music of our lives almost as much as the Beatles or Stones. And next week are his last shows ever.

Anyway, the ticket was worth it. I'd seen him at SPAC for the Graceland tour where he was true to the recording. On this farewell tour he rocks the living crap out of the Graceland tunes. All in all, 14 piece band (probably 30 or more instruments played), two encores, 26 tunes, I think a half dozen S&G numbers. All of PPG Arena was dancing by time he got to "You Can Call Me Al".

Only three shows left, two at MSG, one in Corona Park in Queens that'll supposedly have some extras. You folks who are close to NYC, it's a show worth the time and money if there are tix left. And unlike Dylan, Simon can still sing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wait! Dylan used to be able to sing?

Thanks for the heads up. Simon is one of my all-time favorites.

Reaction Score
I just saw Simon and Garfunkel live in the 60’s

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm on record here numerous times about how I won't spend money to see old rockers. While Simon isn't exactly a "rocker", he is 77 and for those of us of a certain age, is the music of our lives almost as much as the Beatles or Stones. And next week are his last shows ever.

Anyway, the ticket was worth it. I'd seen him at SPAC for the Graceland tour where he was true to the recording. On this farewell tour he rocks the living crap out of the Graceland tunes. All in all, 14 piece band (probably 30 or more instruments played), two encores, 26 tunes, I think a half dozen S&G numbers. All of PPG Arena was dancing by time he got to "You Can Call Me Al".

Only three shows left, two at MSG, one in Corona Park in Queens that'll supposedly have some extras. You folks who are close to NYC, it's a show worth the time and money if there are tix left. And unlike Dylan, Simon can still sing.

Thanks for checking in, and I'm glad you had a good time.

My dissent is with your closing sentence, which may be helpful for some but traffics in irrelevance for me.

When Dylan and Simon shared a tour in 1999, they alternated nights as lead and opening acts, as though they were artistic peers. Simon opened the Jones Beach (NY) concert with a perfectly fine & representative performance that met expectations and pleased the crowd. Dylan aimed lower and soared far higher, except for those hung up (as I once was) on his singing voice. The gap between the two was quite evident that night, and a lifetime of recordings & live sets bears it out.

I'll concede that personal preference is the controlling factor, but not that there's much value in a direct comparison between the artists, then or now.

Reaction Score
I saw the "Old Friends" Tour by Simon and Garfunkel a few years ago. They sounded fantastic.

Reaction Score
Saw them both in '99 at The Meadows. Dylan is the more important artist but he sounded like hell.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had planned to see him in Queens this weekend but it's not going to work out, unfortunately. I wanted to end it on a good note with him because I held a grudge for years based on claimed lack of attribution for Graceland and outright theft from Los Lobos. I have heard good things from others who have seen earlier stops on this tour. I was most surprised to hear that--unlike, say the likes of McCartney, Elton John, and Billy Joel--there were still plenty of tickets available in many venues; so much so in New Orleans that they shut down the upper tier of the Smoothie King Arena and reissued different tickets (lower down, but further back) to those who had purchased seats there. I'd be curious to see how his voice holds up for three nights in a row, but I'll bet he has enough emotion and adrenaline to carry through that last show, which I'm sure will be special.

Reaction Score
I had planned to see him in Queens this weekend but it's not going to work out, unfortunately. I wanted to end it on a good note with him because I held a grudge for years based on claimed lack of attribution for Graceland and outright theft from Los Lobos. I have heard good things from others who have seen earlier stops on this tour. I was most surprised to hear that--unlike, say the likes of McCartney, Elton John, and Billy Joel--there were still plenty of tickets available in many venues; so much so in New Orleans that they shut down the upper tier of the Smoothie King Arena and reissued different tickets (lower down, but further back) to those who had purchased seats there. I'd be curious to see how his voice holds up for three nights in a row, but I'll bet he has enough emotion and adrenaline to carry through that last show, which I'm sure will be special.
He stole from Los Lobos? What's the story? I love Los Lobos, still somehow so underrated after all these years.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He stole from Los Lobos? What's the story? I love Los Lobos, still somehow so underrated after all these years.

“Myth Of The Fingerprints” is a Los Lobos creation.

As a musician who is a fan of Los Lobos and familiar with all their work and the way they construct songs, there is zero doubt in my mind that they brought in the chord changes to Myth. Simon wrote the lyrics of course, but the changes and melody are signature lobos. What Simon did is fine, IF he gave the music writing credit where its due, he did not.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Steve Berlin detailed it in a Jambase interview a few years ago that made the rounds, but the original seems to have been taken down. Here is the meat of the claim, from another source:
JAMBASE: Speaking of doing a lot of different records and working with a lot of amazing songwriters, I own a ton of the records that you’ve done over the years. One, in particular, I’d like to ask you about is Paul Simon’s Graceland. I obsessed over that thing when I was young. Do you have any recollections of working on it?

STEVE BERLIN: Oh, I have plenty of recollections of working on that one. I don’t know if you heard the stories, but it was not a pleasant deal for us. I mean he [Simon] quite literally — and in no way do I exaggerate when I say — he stole the songs from us….

And you know, going into it, I had an enormous amount of respect for the guy. The early records were amazing, I loved his solo records, and I truly thought he was one of the greatest gifts to American music that there was.

At the time, we were high on the musical food chain. Paul had just come off One Trick Pony and was kind of floundering. People forget, before Graceland, he was viewed as a colossal failure. He was low. So when we were approached to do it, I was a way bigger fan than anybody else in the band. We got approached by Lenny Waronker and Mo Ostin who ran our record company [Warner Bros.], and this is the way these guys would talk — “It would mean a lot to the family if you guys would do this for us.” And we thought, “Ok well, it’s for the family, so we’ll do it.” It sounds so unbelievably naïve and ridiculous that that would be enough of a reason to go to the studio with him.

We go into the studio, and he had quite literally nothing. I mean, he had no ideas, no concepts, and said, “Well, let’s just jam.” We said, “We don’t really do that.” … Not by accident, not even at soundcheck. We would always just play a song.

… Paul was a very strange guy. Paul’s engineer was even stranger than Paul, and he just seemed to have no clue — no focus, no design, no real nothing. He had just done a few of the African songs that hadn’t become songs yet. Those were literally jams. Or what the world came to know and I don’t think really got exposed enough, is that those are actually songs by a lot of those artists that he just approved of. So that’s kind of what he was doing. It was very patrician, material sort of viewpoint. Like, because I’m gonna put my stamp on it, they’re now my songs. But that’s literally how he approached this stuff.

I remember he played me the one he did by John Hart, and I know John Hart, the last song on the record. He goes, “Yeah, I did this in Louisiana with this zy decko guy.” And he kept saying it over and over. And I remember having to tell him, “Paul, it’s pronounced zydeco. It’s not zy decko, it’s zydeco.” I mean that’s how incredibly dilettante he was about this stuff. The guy was clueless.

It was ridiculous. I think David starts playing “The Myth of the Fingerprints,” or whatever he ended up calling it. That was one of our songs. That year, that was a song we started working on By Light of The Moon. So that was like an existing Lobos sketch of an idea that we had already started doing. I don’t think there were any recordings of it, but we had messed around with it. We knew we were gonna do it. It was gonna turn into a song. Paul goes, “Hey, what’s that?” We start playing what we have of it, and it is exactly what you hear on the record. So we’re like, “Oh, ok. We’ll share this song.”

JAMBASE: Good way to get out of the studio, though…

STEVE BERLIN: Yeah. But it was very clear to us, at the moment, we’re thinking he’s doing one of our songs. It would be like if he did “Will the Wolf Survive?” Literally. A few months later, the record comes out and says “Words and Music by Paul Simon.” We were like, “What the is this?”

We tried calling him, and we can’t find him. Weeks go by and our managers can’t find him. We finally track him down and ask him about our song, and he goes, “Sue me. See what happens.”

JAMBASE: What?! Come on…

STEVE BERLIN: That’s what he said. He said, “You don’t like it? Sue me. You’ll see what happens.” We were floored. We had no idea. The record comes out, and he’s a big hit. Retroactively, he had to give songwriting credit to all the African guys he stole from that were working on it and everyone seemed to forget. But that’s the kind of person he is. He’s the world’s biggest , basically.

So we go back to Lenny and say, “Hey listen, you stuck us in the studio with this idiot for two days. We tried to get out of it, you made us stay in there, and then he steals our song?! What the hell?!” And Lenny’s always a politician. He made us forget about it long enough that it went away. But to this day, I do not believe we have gotten paid for it. We certainly didn’t get songwriting credit for it. And it remains an enormous bone that sticks in our craw. Had he even given us a millionth of what the song and the record became, I think we would have been – if nothing else – much richer, but much happier about the whole thing.

JAMBASE: Have you guys seen him since then?

STEVE BERLIN: No. Never run into him. I’ll tell you, if the guys ever did run into him, I wouldn’t want to be him, that’s for sure.

He goes on to talk some more fightin’ words and then adds, among other things, “That’s our version of it. I’d love to hear Paul’s version of it.” Yeah, we’d love to hear Paul’s version of it, too. Paul?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have tix to Queens.

Hope you enjoy it. From a musician's standpoint, a whole lot of stuff going on there. I only gave Rythym of the Saints a cursory listen when it came out, but he plays a lot of that album and there's all sorts of odd time sigs and custom instruments in play on those songs. I hadn't listened to much of anything from his last two albums, but there's a lot there - and with hippy messages to boot, lol.

Pretty much everyone but the main drummer is a multi-instrumentalist. Mark Stevens seems to play everything in addition to being a competent lead guitarist. Bassist is a monster. If nothing else, you get an appreciation for all the musical styles and influences he's employed.

Maybe after seeing Simon's band you'll want to pick up a sax for one of your LoJ shows :eek:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I only gave Rythym of the Saints a cursory listen when it came out, but he plays a lot of that album and there's all sorts of odd time sigs and custom instruments in play on those songs.

I like Rhythm better than Graceland. Always have.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Maybe after seeing Simon's band you'll want to pick up a sax for one of your LoJ shows

We do use a sax from time to time.

Had one with us Saturday night. Size of stage and pay scale dictates whether I bring him along or not. Our namesake,
the 1974-1975 version of the Jerry Garcia Band, was actually called "Legion of Mary" instead of Jerry Garcia Band. That specific outfit used a Sax EVERY show (Martin Fierro)

Reaction Score
“Myth Of The Fingerprints” is a Los Lobos creation.

As a musician who is a fan of Los Lobos and familiar with all their work and the way they construct songs, there is zero doubt in my mind that they brought in the chord changes to Myth. Simon wrote the lyrics of course, but the changes and melody are signature lobos. What Simon did is fine, IF he gave the music writing credit where its due, he did not.
Wow, that's incredibly lame. That song is so obviously a Los Lobos song. I always heard Paul Simon is a huge jerk so it makes sense.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
IIRC, Paul Nelson's Rolling Stone review of "Still Crazy After All These Years" had a line that rang true then and has never left me: "Paul Simon would never make the Kierkegaardian 'leap of faith' without first making sure he had a reservation at the best hotel on the other side." To be fair, I have felt the unease that such a quote might apply to me if I warranted such critical appraisal. I have also, to a point, enjoyed his music, while assessing him to be less than great.

Reaction Score
IIRC, Paul Nelson's Rolling Stone review of "Still Crazy After All These Years" had a line that rang true then and has never left me: "Paul Simon would never make the Kierkegaardian 'leap of faith' without first making sure he had a reservation at the best hotel on the other side." To be fair, I have felt the unease that such a quote might apply to me if I warranted such critical appraisal. I have also, to a point, enjoyed his music, while assessing him to be less than great.

Counter point:

Paul Simon is actually great.

Reaction Score
Saw Los Lobos at Toad's as well as on Pier 84 in NYC the day Billboard posted the La Bamba cover as #1. Smithereens opened. Fantastic show. Last saw them at The Klein. I try not to miss them when they come east.

100% Paul Simon ripped them off. I won't drop the exact name but JK was responsible for a lot of the shows many of us have seen and I know him well. He even remarked that Simon was "difficult" but he used a different d word.

Edit: Paul Simon's body of work is fantastic to be sure.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We do use a sax from time to time.

Had one with us Saturday night. Size of stage and pay scale dictates whether I bring him along or not. Our namesake,
the 1974-1975 version of the Jerry Garcia Band, was actually called "Legion of Mary" instead of Jerry Garcia Band. That specific outfit used a Sax EVERY show (Martin Fierro)

I meant YOU pick up a sax. Or a bassoon. Or an oboe or flute or tuba. One of these days go make yourself a Roy Wood "Boulders" album where you play everything yourself, paint the album cover and in your case, you could even include a cookbook suggesting recipes and fast food options that would enhance the listening experience :rolleyes:

Anyway, maybe Paul Simon is a jerk. Maybe what he did with Los Lobos and the Peruvian folks who inspired "El Condor Pasa" and Good Rockin Dopsie and Heidi Berg was indeed "stealing". And if so, happens quite frequently. Might be cryptomnesia - as noted by the judge in the case of Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" vs. The Chiffons. Not sure why Los Lobos didn't sue like the bands who won suits over plagiarism over the years. Seems like they would've won. Maybe it's worth more holding the grudge as it's a publicity card that can be played often?

People at the pinnacle of success are often not like folks who post on BY. Many operate on a different level in how they view themselves and everyone else - it's not just music, but all art, sports, politics, business. But nobody should get away with condemning Paul Simon while celebrating Led Zeppelin or countless other artists who've "stolen" or outright appropriated musical ideas from others.

Regardless of what one thinks of the man, there's still a ton of talent and knowledge required to put all this music together, write lyrics over it, package it, perform it and sell it.

I find it interesting that in some of the articles I've read about Simon's "thieving", comparisons were made to Kanye West's recording all sorts of stuff then manipulating it and sampling it. And hey, Kanye's a genius, right? Sir Paul McCartney's part in a recent Kanye song had to be explained to him because his part was sonically manipulated to the point where McCartney couldn't recognize it.

In the end, there should be no argument that music of the past 60 years benefited from Paul Simon being part of it.

Coda: IMO, an excellent and balanced look at Graceland from RS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So maybe Paul Simon stole from Los Lobos? Maybe Paul Simon is a jerk?

He also happened to write some of the best songs ever written.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom