OT - Paris France, best way to get there | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Paris France, best way to get there

Reaction Score
I envy the Prague. Never been and I hear it's spectacular. Staying in Vienna just above the ring road. The whole city is overwhelmingly beautiful. Heard some nice music but the opera isn't in season. That's a must. We toured the opera house today--magnificent. Even if you aren't an opera fan, that's the single most Viennese thing to do.

If you can make your way to Salzburg you won't regret it........the wonderful festival starts July 21 but it's a great town to visit any time

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
3. Go to the Père Lachaise cemetery. There are plenty of notables buried there from Chopin to Marcel Marceau, but make sure to stop by Jim Morrison's grave..

Very interesting place.....just walk around and see who you know or shall I say knew.

Reaction Score
Very interesting place.....just walk around and see who you know or shall I say knew.

I went to see Morrison's grave back in the early 80's and it was a mess.......kids from all over the world would just sit there writing graffiti on the surrounding grave stones all day, drinking and leaving flowers and liquor bottles as offerings...........eventually they redid it and at least the last time I was there it was a far more respectable

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
from Connecticut?

lodging?

"Sites to See"?

Fly Norwegian Air to Stewart Airport to Edinburgh or Dublin for about $110. Then take Air France or whoever else from there to Parish for about $150. The same flights in reverse will cost about $40 more.

Reaction Score
One awesome tourist thing many people overlook is Napolean's tomb at Les Invalides on the South side of the Seine. In the front is a church - typical European cathedral with gothic arches. Mounted on each side of each arch are the flags (original) of all the countries Napolean's conquered. Behind the alter is a very tall crucifix, except Christ is facing the back, instead of facing the inside of the church. Then you walk outside and around to the back door. You enter a large chapel with the that crucifix facing you, overlooking Napolean's very large and shiny casket, which is in the center of a circular floor about 25 feet below ground level. When you look up there are concentric circles suggesting elevating higher and higher, presumably to Heaven.

This is a must see - you will never forget it.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I envy the Prague. Never been and I hear it's spectacular. Staying in Vienna just above the ring road. The whole city is overwhelmingly beautiful. Heard some nice music but the opera isn't in season. That's a must. We toured the opera house today--magnificent. Even if you aren't an opera fan, that's the single most Viennese thing to do.

I'll let you know how Prague is. I'll try to add the opera house to my itinerary! Might as well do as the Austrian's do while there. :) Thanks!

Reaction Score
One awesome tourist thing many people overlook is Napolean's tomb at Les Invalides on the South side of the Seine. In the front is a church - typical European cathedral with gothic arches. Mounted on each side of each arch are the flags (original) of all the countries Napolean's conquered. Behind the alter is a very tall crucifix, except Christ is facing the back, instead of facing the inside of the church. Then you walk outside and around to the back door. You enter a large chapel with the that crucifix facing you, overlooking Napolean's very large and shiny casket, which is in the center of a circular floor about 25 feet below ground level. When you look up there are concentric circles suggesting elevating higher and higher, presumably to Heaven.

This is a must see - you will never forget it.

It's also one of the places where locals go to cool down in the summer as not only is it well below ground but the granite stone doesn't hold heat making the surrounding are feel much cooler then the outside temperature in the summer

Reaction Score
The Ritz is nice.

We've postponed this year's trip there due to the 'political' (which we're not supposed to engage here) unrest. I have several friends who live there that encouraged us to avoid the place for a while. If you do go, you must be sure of the 'neighborhood' / time of day / etc / and don't look like a US tourist. Bascilica du-Sacre-Coure de Montmartre is very nice, but due to 'location', iffy. In short, be prudent and watch your butt. In the meantime, if you want to look at big cathedrals, visit St. John the Divine in NYC - the largest gothic in the world.

Reaction Score
"Top" sites
Paris Attractions
If you have some advance notice, you can usually find decent non-stop from NYC fares.
I'd certainly consider Aer Lingus from Hartford - esp if I had a few extra days "free" there (and the prospect of avoiding re-entry through NYC would be wonderful).
Lastly, this Best Western Best Western Paris Gare Saint Lazare - UPDATED 2017 Prices & Hotel Reviews (France) - TripAdvisor a wonderful value for us last April - though I'd rather stay in the French Quarter again. This one Moderne St-Germain Hotel - UPDATED 2017 Prices & Reviews (Paris, France) - TripAdvisor (near Sorbonne) was more than adequate for our stay - and PERFECT location.
Taking the train from CDG is simple and cheap (and an easy walk to the second hotel)
We used UBER for the very first time when we were in Paris last year. A true miracle (and IMHO a great value)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom