OT: Other College Football to see in Connecticut? | The Boneyard

OT: Other College Football to see in Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Today I was looking around and noticed that CT holds some good teams in FCS, and Division II. I'm interested in exploring some football cultures other than UConn's throughout the state.

Has anyone here ever been to a CCSU or a Sacred Heart football game? Could you describe what the experience is like? Good crowd? Entertaining game? Another team which unexpectedly struck me was the Division II, University of New Haven. Apparently, they have a good culture around their football team, and from the few videos I saw, it looked like a lot of fun. I'm really trying to see how other people appreciate college football outside of East Hartford.

Reaction Score
interesting day for college football in Connecticut. sept 25th
Cornell @ Yale Wyoming @ UConn Central Conn. @ Miami Fla.

Reaction Score
Just put out a podcast episode with the HC at Sacred Heart. They are supposed to be really good this year and have one of the best RBs in FCS.

Reaction Score
Trinity football has a decent program with good culture/fans... though I may be biased because my cousin is a linebacker there... and his old man was an O lineman for UConn/ a Yankee conference champion!
Completely forgot about Trinity! I'll be sure to check them out. Hartford is only 15 minutes away or so from me.

Reaction Score
Just put out a podcast episode with the HC at Sacred Heart. They are supposed to be really good this year and have one of the best RBs in FCS.

Fairfield's a bit of a drive but I'm very interested in seeing what the SHU vs CCSU rivalry is all about. CCSU's my Dad's Alma Mater so I know who I'll be rooting for.

Reaction Score
Trinity football has a decent program with good culture/fans... though I may be biased because my cousin is a linebacker there... and his old man was an O lineman for UConn/ a Yankee conference champion!
Wesleyan also a good program. Same league.

Reaction Score
Looks like they play Trinity in Middletown to finish off the season
I went to several games at Wesleyan and I enjoyed the experience. Walking on the sidelines to get close to the actions. The players are smaller and slower but still a great experience on a Saturday afternoon in the Fall.

Reaction Score
I went to a couple CCSU games years ago. It was pretty entertaining. Coast Guard is cool. Traveling further to West Point is beyond worth it. Also, taking a ride up to UMass is probably a good way to spend a Saturday. Of course, you can watch D3 schools, but I’d rather drive a little further.

Weather and food are the keys to enjoying a football game you don’t care about.

Reaction Score
Also, the fact that Butch hasn’t commented has me concerned for him. Has he been around the last few days?

edit: he hasn’t posted since 8/15.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CCSU games are good.

Stadium is a simple drive. Easy on/off exit. You pay maybe $10 and sit pretty much wherever. They have chair back seats mid field.

Tailgate is what you make of it. Jumbotron is big enough and does replay. Student section can get rowdy early season.

Good food is close by before and after the games.

Reaction Score
I would recommend checking out a game at the Coast Guard Academy. It's a great place to watch a game as their stadium overlooks the river. Homecoming probably best crowd.
Before a possible night Clemson game 11/13, the Secretaries Cup on the Thames: USCGA vs arch rivals, Merchant Marines. Wrong institution won the last few years. Go Coasties!

Reaction Score
Before a possible night Clemson game 11/13, the Secretaries Cup on the Thames: USCGA vs arch rivals, Merchant Marines. Wrong institution won the last few years. Go Coasties!

this looks like so much fun! will 100% be there

Reaction Score
CCSU games are good.

Stadium is a simple drive. Easy on/off exit. You pay maybe $10 and sit pretty much wherever. They have chair back seats mid field.

Tailgate is what you make of it. Jumbotron is big enough and does replay. Student section can get rowdy early season.

Good food is close by before and after the games.
Wesleyan has their famous alumni and CCSU has Richard Grieco who played football for CCSU. Four knee injuries convinced him to become an actor.

Reaction Score
this looks like so much fun! will 100% be there
For options, there will be two good, possibly three games to attend. Merchant Marine at the end of the year and the two homecoming games. Norwich is one of them and it's called the little Army Navy game. They have multiple homecomings because they are well attended and the stadium cant accommodate all the classes. This year its classes ending in 0 and 6 again for 1 and 5.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Today I was looking around and noticed that CT holds some good teams in FCS, and Division II. I'm interested in exploring some football cultures other than UConn's throughout the state.

Has anyone here ever been to a CCSU or a Sacred Heart football game? Could you describe what the experience is like? Good crowd? Entertaining game? Another team which unexpectedly struck me was the Division II, University of New Haven. Apparently, they have a good culture around their football team, and from the few videos I saw, it looked like a lot of fun. I'm really trying to see how other people appreciate college football outside of East Hartford.
I used to go to CCSU games. They were fun. Granted, I was on the sideline for all of them. (my high school football captain was the head coach at the time.)

577D1E3C-B1FF-44A5-AA80-949ADB642868.jpeg

Vs Albany…2009.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where ya at @Butch??
Might as well answer for anyone else who cares and I most certainly appreciate the concern. This is probably my last post on here, so I'll just be straight to the point. Health is deteriorating rapidly so I am hoping to be selfless when the inevitable comes. Boosting my petty ego doesn't help.

To anyone whom I've slighted in my words or actions, I want to apologize, as that goes against everything I try to stand for. I wish you all the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom