OT: Operation 351 begins its 6th season. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Operation 351 begins its 6th season.

Reaction Score
For those who don't know me, Operation 351 is my personal journey to visit every D1 college basketball site to see a basketball game. My travels are documented on my blog at www.journeyto351.com. When I started 5 years ago, there were a total of 351 D1 schools. That number has changed over the years. With Savannah State dropping down to D2, the number for the 2019-20 season will be at 352 teams.

As has been a tradition for the past 5 years, I annually repost a Boneyard quote from Fishy that I rate as one of the funniest in Boneyard history as he commented on my mission:

“You have no chance of doing it. But beyond that, you don’t want to. At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

I am at now 81 games and going strong!

Here are my choices for the upcoming season dependent on weather, scheduling conflicts and life:
  1. Syracuse and Colgate – hopefully in early November or March because of the weather
  2. Canisius and Niagara – ditto
  3. George Mason and Maryland Eastern Shore
  4. Bucknell and Penn State
  5. St. Francis PA and Mount St. Mary
  6. West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Robert Morris – hoping for a trifecta in one visit
  7. South Florida – Against UConn representing my annual Operation 351 trip with my wife
  8. Tulane and (LSU or New Orleans or Nicholls St.) - Tulane is playing UConn. A visit to the Big easy with good friends of ours.
Looking forward to an exciting season for the men and an eventual trip on the Metro North bar car for a trip to MSG!
I'm Down here in Alabama, if you and the wife need a place to do and extended road trip.....I've got 2 spare rooms. You can hit the Florida schools, GA schools, AL schools and even MS and LA from here pretty easily by car. The invitation has been extended.....

Reaction Score
I'm Down here in Alabama, if you and the wife need a place to do and extended road trip.....I've got 2 spare rooms. You can hit the Florida schools, GA schools, AL schools and even MS and LA from here pretty easily by car. The invitation has been extended.....
Wow I appreciate that. I will keep that in mind. Difficult for me to take long extended vacations because of a mom in assisted living but Alabama is on my short list. I completed all the schools in Mississippi due to a friend who has a second home there.

Last edited:

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
What an odd quest.

The fact of the matter is, of the 351 spots, I have to imagine 20-30% being interesting or “special” and the rest are half empty arenas with meaningless games that simply “check the box”. And those games are usually spent with Greathusky telling anyone who’ll listen to him about this weird journey.

You mean like sitting in FIU Arena in Miami on a New Year's Eve afternoon watching an FIU/Marshall Conference USA game with about 80 people in attendance? :)

Don't hate on the @Greathusky journey. I'm doing the same journey and met him last year at what would have otherwise been a meaningless Colgate @ Cornell game without Jimmy Boeheim randomly sitting in the crowd a section over watching his son play...

Reaction Score
You mean like sitting in FIU Arena in Miami on a New Year's Eve afternoon watching an FIU/Marshall Conference USA game with about 80 people in attendance? :)

Don't hate on the @Greathusky journey. I'm doing the same journey and met him last year at what would have otherwise been a meaningless Colgate @ Cornell game without Jimmy Boeheim randomly sitting in the crowd a section over watching his son play...
Hey John! Hope to see you on the road again this year !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • UCONN (no blog post available)
Come on, man!!
Yeah sorry about that! I do a blog post for each game attended but I had added UCONN to my conquests before I started the blog. There are 11 teams that fall into this category. Since I always add pictures of the arena or game action to my post, I did not have any UCONN in game pics to share so I felt that a UCONN game post was not "sponge worthy".

Interesting to note in order to prove my attendance to these 11 games, I posted a picture of a ticket stub and/or program for each one of these "lost" teams.

Reaction Score
@Greathusky, I found your blog today and read through some of your posts. Look forward to reading more of these!

What piqued my interest is your Harvard @ Howard review. Being that you are one of the few Boneyarders who watched RJ Cole live, what are your impressions of him?

Reaction Score
@Greathusky, I found your blog today and read through some of your posts. Look forward to reading more of these!

What piqued my interest is your Harvard @ Howard review. Being that you are one of the few Boneyarders who watched RJ Cole live, what are your impressions of him?
I loved RJ. He seemed heads above every other player on the court that day. I remember wondering why he ended up at Howard instead of a major D1 school. I also remember him as a very strong player who had a nice touch from the outside. We are very lucky to have him. Had I known he would be going to UConn, I would’ve taken better notes! :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guess it’s because I travel a lot. And most of it is not glamorous. Take Evansville. Home of the Purple Aces. I’ve been there twice for work in the last 18 months. The airport has 6 gates and the last time I was there, I was 1 of 4 people in the entire building. There are no cool bars in the center of town and it looks like a ghost town. I look at this quest and when the cool Payne Whitney gyms with Pepe’s Pizza get checked off, a huge chunk of the 351 are Evansvilles.

Don’t get me wrong. Going to the all time greats would be great....but that’s not the conquest here at all.

I have no interest in doing anything remotely like it, but if you have an interest in travel, meeting people and seeing absolutely every cranny of this country, this would definitely do it.

I do think it's funny that while all of us get to move on, poor GH still has to go to AAC games.

Reaction Score
@Greathusky Wanted to bump this thread to thank you for inspiring me to check out new spots for games this year. I'm 33, and only went to Gampel, MSG and HCC for games until I went to college and as a UConn student where I also went to the RAC and Prudential Center for Big East games. As an adult, I've been to the Barclays for UConn games and go to a few Sacred Heart games a year and have also seen Fairfield play.

Now that schedules are becoming fuller, I've begun to see where I'd like to go for the first time this year.

Spots I plan to see for the first time this year:

Payne Whitney Gymnasium - New Haven, CT: Yale's exhibition schedule piqued my interest as they play Oberlin on a Friday night. I coach middle school basketball at the school where I teach and I coached one of the players on Oberlin when he was in 5th and 6th grade. He's only a sophomore and didn't play much last year, but it would be the first time I'll ever see a former student I've coached play in a collegiate game. Very exciting! Would also like to see Yale play against Harvard and Vermont.

Carnesecca Arena - Queens, NY: The game I most want to see this year is a 4 PM Saturday afternoon Vermont vs St. John's game. Should be a good one and I look forward to seeing Anthony Lamb play live.

Hynes Athletics Center - New Rochelle, NY: The school where I teach is just 25 minutes from Iona. I've coached against Iona Grammar, but never went to a game at Iona. They play a lot of Friday night games, so that makes a perfect start of the weekend destination. I'm curious to see them play Siena with Jalen Pickett as a legit NBA prospect. I've also always liked how Rider plays and they should have a good team this year so that would make a great MAAC matchup. Canisius should have a good squad too.

Wells Fargo Arena - Tempe, AZ: My in-laws live in Fountain Hills, so Arizona State will play Texas Southern over my winter break. Looking forward to seeing Bobby in action.

Rose Hill Gymnasium - Bronx, NY: A co-worker of mine is a Davidson alum. Would love to see Davidson live and it's a close drive from home.

Reich Family Pavilion - West Hartford, CT: Another chance to check out Vermont play live.

Places I'd like to go in the future and are realistic options:

GCU Arena, Phoenix AZ/McHale Memorial Center, Tucson, AZ. We visit my in-laws every winter, so great places to see a game. Especially interested in seeing GCU arena as their games are absolutely crazy...rave club-esque.

Dunkin' Donuts Arena - Providence, RI: The first time UConn is playing there on the weekend, I'm there!

Other Big East spots, long weekend ideas in descending order of which I'd want to see first:

1) Hinkle Fieldhouse - Indianapolis, IN
2) Cintas Center, Cincinnati, OH
3) Fiserv Forum, Milwaukee, WI

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Greathusky Wanted to bump this thread to thank you to inspire me to check out new spots for games this year. I'm 33, and only went to Gampel, MSG and HCC for games until I went to college and as a UConn student I also went to the RAC and Prudential Center for Big East games. As an adult, I've also been to the Barclays for UConn games and go to a few Sacred Heart games a year and has also seen Fairfield play.

Now that schedules are becoming fuller, I've begun to see where I'd like to go for the first time this year.

Spots I plan to see for the first time this year:

Payne Whitney Gymnasium - New Haven, CT: Yale's exhibition schedule piqued my interest as they will play Oberlin on a Friday night. I coach middle school basketball at the school where I teach and I coached one of the players on Oberlin when he was in 5th and 6th grade. He's only a sophomore and didn't play much last year, but it would be the first time I'll ever see a former student I've coached play in a collegiate game. Very exciting! Would also like to see Yale play against Harvard and Vermont.

Carnesecca Arena - Queens, NY: The game I most want to see this year is a 4 PM Vermont vs St. John's game. Should be a good one and I look forward to seeing Anthony Lamb play live.

Hynes Athletics Center - New Rochelle, NY: The school where I teach is just 25 minutes from Iona. I've coached against Iona Grammar, but never went to a game at Iona. They play a lot of Friday night games, so that makes a perfect start of the weekend destination. I'm curious to see them play Siena with Jalen Pickett as a legit NBA prospect. I've also always liked how Rider plays and they should have a good team this year so that would make a great MAAC matchup. Canisius should have a good squad too.

Wells Fargo Arena - Tempe, AZ: My in-laws live in Fountain Hills, so Arizona State will play Texas Southern over my winter break. Looking forward to seeing Bobby in action.

Rose Hill Gymnasium - Bronx, NY: A co-worker of mine is a Davidson alum. Would love to see Davidson live and it's a close drive from home.

Reich Family Pavilion - West Hartford, CT: Another chance to check out Vermont play live.

Placed I'd like to go in the future and are realistic options:

GCU Arena, Phoenix AZ/McHale Memorial Center, Tucson, AZ. We visit my in-laws every winter, so great places to see a game. Especially interested in seeing GCU arena as their games are absolutely crazy...rave club-esque

Dunkin' Donuts Arena - Providence, RI: The first time UConn is playing there on the weekend, I'm there!

Other Big East spots, long weekend ideas in descending order of which I'd want to see first:

1) Hinkle Fieldhouse - Indianapolis, IN
2) Cintas Center, Cincinnati, OH
3) Fiserv Forum, Milwaukee, WI
I wish you well on your travels. Enjoy the ride! You should blog your impressions and pictures to capture the memories.

Here is my schedule for the upcoming season:

Home Team Opponent

Syracuse 11/20/19 Cornell

Colgate 11/21/19 Cortland

Pittsburgh 12/16/19 Northern Illinois

Robert Morris 12/17/19 Central Michigan

Florida Gulf Coast 01/02/20 Liberty

South Florida 01/04/20 Uconn

Canisius 01/17/20 Siena

Niagara 01/19/20 Siena

Mt. St. Mary 01/25/20 Bryant

Maryland Eastern Shore 01/27/20 Wofford

George Mason 01/28/20 Rhode Island

Merrimack 02/01/20 Long Island University

Navy 02/15/20 Boston U

Loyola MD 02/16/20 Colgate

LSU 03/07/20 Georgia

Tulane 03/08/20 Uconn

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I wish you well on your travels. Enjoy the ride! You should blog your impressions and pictures to capture the memories.

Here is my schedule for the upcoming season:

Home Team Opponent

Syracuse 11/20/19 Cornell

Colgate 11/21/19 Cortland

Pittsburgh 12/16/19 Northern Illinois

Robert Morris 12/17/19 Central Michigan

Florida Gulf Coast 01/02/20 Liberty

South Florida 01/04/20 Uconn

Canisius 01/17/20 Siena

Niagara 01/19/20 Siena

Mt. St. Mary 01/25/20 Bryant

Maryland Eastern Shore 01/27/20 Wofford

George Mason 01/28/20 Rhode Island

Merrimack 02/01/20 Long Island University

Navy 02/15/20 Boston U

Loyola MD 02/16/20 Colgate

LSU 03/07/20 Georgia

Tulane 03/08/20 Uconn

Still finalizing my schedule at this point but looks like I might see you again this season as I have those LSU/Georgia and Tulane/UConn games on my prelim calendar too (should doubleheader the LSU game with the University of New Orleans game that same Saturday since it's only like 75 minutes befween NOLA and Baton Rouge). Might also be hitting that USF/UConn game in January as a doubleheader with FGCU in Ft. Myers is doable that day.

Also planning to catch UConn at East Carolina the weekend before (gotta get those worthless AAC venues off the list before we vacate the conference...)

My only officially scheduled games so far are part of a trip to Texas for 5 days before the Charleston Classic in November for Texas A&M/Gonzaga, Incarnate Word/SIUE, Abilene Christian/Pepperdine, TAMUCC/UTRGV, Texas St./Jackson St., and Rice/Houston.

Looking at options to hit Chicago St. to complete the state of Illinois for me, Minnesota for the only D1 school in the state, Oakland/Detroit to complete Michigan as well as a trip to Salt Lake around the BYU/Gonzaga game in February where most of the northern Utah schools can be hit in one visit.

Once I finalize my calendar, it will be updated on my blog at Mission 351. Hoping to get to 160 total this year but will be tougher having to plan more flyaways then ever before.

Reaction Score
Still finalizing my schedule at this point but looks like I might see you again this season as I have those LSU/Georgia and Tulane/UConn games on my prelim calendar too (should doubleheader the LSU game with the University of New Orleans game that same Saturday since it's only like 75 minutes befween NOLA and Baton Rouge). Might also be hitting that USF/UConn game in January as a doubleheader with FGCU in Ft. Myers is doable that day.

Also planning to catch UConn at East Carolina the weekend before (gotta get those worthless AAC venues off the list before we vacate the conference...)

My only officially scheduled games so far are part of a trip to Texas for 5 days before the Charleston Classic in November for Texas A&M/Gonzaga, Incarnate Word/SIUE, Abilene Christian/Pepperdine, TAMUCC/UTRGV, Texas St./Jackson St., and Rice/Houston.

Looking at options to hit Chicago St. to complete the state of Illinois for me, Minnesota for the only D1 school in the state, Oakland/Detroit to complete Michigan as well as a trip to Salt Lake around the BYU/Gonzaga game in February where most of the northern Utah schools can be hit in one visit.

Once I finalize my calendar, it will be updated on my blog at Mission 351. Hoping to get to 160 total this year but will be tougher having to plan more flyaways then ever before.
My schedule is always predicated on good weather and family events coming up that may change things But I certainly hope to run into you again this year as we did at Cornell last year. You did put a thought in my head about East Carolina so I may be checking that one out as well since I don’t want to go to that godforsaken school if Uconn is not playing.

pj

Reaction Score
“At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

I'm sure every college coach asks himself something like this when he goes on recruiting trips.

Reaction Score
For those who don't know me, Operation 351 is my personal journey to visit every D1 college basketball site to see a basketball game. My travels are documented on my blog at www.journeyto351.com. When I started 5 years ago, there were a total of 351 D1 schools. That number has changed over the years. With Savannah State dropping down to D2, the number for the 2019-20 season will be at 352 teams.

As has been a tradition for the past 5 years, I annually repost a Boneyard quote from Fishy that I rate as one of the funniest in Boneyard history as he commented on my mission:

“You have no chance of doing it. But beyond that, you don’t want to. At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

I am at now 81 games and going strong!

Here are my choices for the upcoming season dependent on weather, scheduling conflicts and life:
  1. Syracuse and Colgate – hopefully in early November or March because of the weather
  2. Canisius and Niagara – ditto
  3. George Mason and Maryland Eastern Shore
  4. Bucknell and Penn State
  5. St. Francis PA and Mount St. Mary
  6. West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Robert Morris – hoping for a trifecta in one visit
  7. South Florida – Against UConn representing my annual Operation 351 trip with my wife
  8. Tulane and (LSU or New Orleans or Nicholls St.) - Tulane is playing UConn. A visit to the Big easy with good friends of ours.
Looking forward to an exciting season for the men and an eventual trip on the Metro North bar car for a trip to MSG!

Totally great goal man, I hope you make it to them all!!!

Reaction Score
I made my first visit to George Bisacca Court at Fairfield's Alumni Hall for a good game against William & Mary.

Alumni Hall is a snug, warm venue with every seat GA. I went solo and found a seat right below the cameras so I had a great view and a back to my seat. Great atmosphere and the fans were into it for the entire game. One thing of note, they take an interesting take on distracting free throw shooters. Rather than have everyone go crazy, just the cheerleaders and dance team led the distraction...talk about more of a visual distraction ;)

Overall, Fairfield played well against a better team in William and Mary. W&M is led by two 6'10+ players Nathan Knight (6'10 255) and Wisconsin transfer Andy Van Vilet (7'0 230). While Knight is a load on the post, he can also pop out and hit threes. Van Vilet is more crafty under the basket and can also shoot.

Fairfield kept it close, but their lack of frontcourt depth was too much for W&M. A good 38 minutes out of 40!

A fun time and I'll be back!
59752769738__F28BABF7-9D9D-4E85-BA76-9FB3F76BB581.jpg

Reaction Score
I made my first visit to George Bisacca Court at Fairfield's Alumni Hall for a good game against William & Mary.

Alumni Hall is a snug, warm venue with every seat GA. I went solo and found a seat right below the cameras so I had a great view and a back to my seat. Great atmosphere and the fans were into it for the entire game. One thing of note, they take an interesting take on distracting free throw shooters. Rather than have everyone go crazy, just the cheerleaders and dance team led the distraction...talk about more of a visual distraction ;)

Overall, Fairfield played well against a better team in William and Mary. W&M is led by two 6'10+ players Nathan Knight (6'10 255) and Wisconsin transfer Andy Van Vilet (7'0 230). While Knight is a load on the post, he can also pop out and hit threes. Van Vilet is more crafty under the basket and can also shoot.

Fairfield kept it close, but their lack of frontcourt depth was too much for W&M. A good 38 minutes out of 40!

View attachment 48992

This is the only venue in CT that I haven't been to. Have to try and make it down there this year.

Reaction Score
This is the only venue in CT that I haven't been to. Have to try and make it down there this year.
Sunday 2/23/20 could be a good one to check out. They are playing Siena and they are led by Jalen Pickett, who has legit NBA aspirations.

Reaction Score

View attachment 48992
This belongs in a blog!

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I'm sure every college coach asks himself something like this when he goes on recruiting trips.

I made the journey to an Incarnate Word game this season in San Antonio. Sadly they weren't playing Houston Baptist but rather Southern Illinois-Edwardsville ;). The official attendance of the game was 96...

Reaction Score
I have done something sort of like this, but for something a lot different. My only advice, though it seems you are doing it already, is taking it slow and enjoy the crazy ride! It really seems like you are doing an awesome job documenting all of this!!

Reaction Score
Took advantage of an "emergency" math tutoring need in Harrison, NY this morning and after that headed straight 15 minutes down the road to Iona's Hynes Athletic Center in New Rochelle, NY for the first time.

Always respected Iona's program and it was nice to catch a glimpse of the recently renovated center. Paid $15 for a GA seat and found a spot close to center court, unfortunately too close to Monmouth's fans. Moved around during the 2nd half to check out the place from different vantage points.

Pretty cool that when you first get your ticket and walk toward the court, the cheerleaders create a tunnel that leads you inside. One unique part of the place is that the only way to get in and out is to walk past the baseline, the same baseline you see in the pic. Due to this, if you move around, you are always close to the court and benches, which is pretty cool.

Would have liked to see EJ Crawford live in his senior year, I guess he was injured, but Isaiah Washington did a good job picking up the slack with 25 points and 10 boards. He's a fun kid to watch and him and Gist will make up a heck of a senior backcourt next season. Tajuan Agee is a fireball of intense energy, and you can easily hear him from the stands. He's another program guy who will be missed after this season. High scoring game, but Monmouth ended up winning 94-88.

Overall, the experience was OK. Wish the lighting was warmer and the speakers weren't so loud. Also, it's kinda weird that the bathrooms and concessions are a narrow walk down a flight of stairs. However, Iona is a beautiful campus in a handsome, historic part of New Rochelle.

Won't be itching to return to Iona as I much preferred the MAAC experience at Fairfield's Alumni Hall, but happy to have checked out a game today!
IMG_6208.JPG

Reaction Score
Went to the Maryland Eastern Shore game last night. I had previously bought a general admission ticket but had no clue who to give it to you when I walked in. So I just walked in and sat down. This is always one parameter on whether a school cares about the basketball program.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification. I am headed to Mount St. Mary's in MD obviously. My nephew is attending the seminary school.
When you and your nephew greet each other does he address you as uncle and you address him as Father?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom