OT. One Way to Enjoy a Celebratory Day. . . | The Boneyard

OT. One Way to Enjoy a Celebratory Day. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . that works for my family (and may work for yours) is out annual pilgrimage to Tanglewood in July to celebrate (or, in my case, observe) a big family birthday month.

We favor Tanglewood and have been going there for 35+ years. It is the summer home of the Boston Symphony, nestled into the Berkshires and with the most beautiful picnic lawn imaginable.

There are many counterparts or copies of Tanglewood (Ravinia in Chicago, Wolf Trap in Washington, Caramoor, Marlboro, etc.), so I suggest you consider doing something like we do.

We are (ahem) world class picnickers. Mrs. Kibitzer and I met some 36 years ago in Saudi Arabia, and our big dates were picnics out on the desert. So now, first thing we do at Tanglewood is to spread out an Oriental rug for classy comfort. Then it's BBQ ribs (a rack each of Memphis and St. Louis style) accompanied by gazpacho, Pinot Grigio, Sam Adams, stilson cheese, tiramisu and all those other elegant snacks and libations.

Accompaniment to our family merriment was provided by the Boston Pops. Music by Duke Ellington, Leonard Bernstein and Aaron Copland before intermission, followed by Broadway songs by Bernadette Peters. Even (a first time!) two exotic flavors of home made ice cream.

A little exchange of gifts (five July birthdays) under 83 degree weather with a slight breeze made for a Perfect Day, which will tide me over until UConn stomps ND and Baylor.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I do truly appreciate living a sensual life - and, by "sensual", I mean using your senses of taste, touch, hearing, smell, and eyesight, as well as your libido. When I read something like this, with food, drink, music, color, texture, temperature & weather all wrapped into it - well, that's my idea of a day very well spent. Kib, if you ain't a bear in this life, you were in a previous one or are gonna be in the next one! Sniff, snort, spin around, and enjoy!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We're going up there next month for the John Williams 80th birthday event. A few years ago, we saw the Philadelphia Philharmonic play an evening of John Williams music and it was terrific fun so we're going to go up to Tanglewood next month, picnic on the lawn and enjoy another evening.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We're going up there next month for the John Williams 80th birthday event. A few years ago, we saw the Philadelphia Philharmonic play an evening of John Williams music and it was terrific fun so we're going to go up to Tanglewood next month, picnic on the lawn and enjoy another evening.

I see that John Williams knows the best place to celebrate an 80th birthday. I should know!

I won't use up a mile of band width to pass on all of our picnic tricks, but permit one suggestion for evening concerts.

Inevitably the folks out on the lawn find the compulsion to stretch out and gaze at the stars while being elegantly serenaded. All you need is an oriental (or comparable) rug (4' x 6' or 5' x 7'), plus a couple citronella candles and you're all set. To transport the rug? We have a fold-up wagon, but one of those coolers on wheels combined with a bungee cord will work even better than trying to press possibly recalcitrant teen age boys into service.

Ah, Tanglewood!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm a Tanglewood veteran from way back. I've enjoyed many evenings up there. We used to open a bottle of wine for the performance but I don't think that's allowed now.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm a Tanglewood veteran from way back. I've enjoyed many evenings up there. We used to open a bottle of wine for the performance but I don't think that's allowed now.

I will cease and desist offering advice to a fellow Tanglewood veteran except to state that the other day in, literally, "broad daylight," we were among hundreds of picnickers who openly and blithely (possibly even brazenly) popped corks and sloshed down the bottled products of faraway vineyards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom