OT: Olympics/politics/world peace??? | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics/politics/world peace???

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know how long the mods will permit this to stand but my brilliance [???] should get a glimmer.

I read an article that South Korea and North Korea may bid to co-host the 2032 summer Olympics.
That decision won't be made by the IOC till 2025. [Tokyo in 2020, Paris in 2024, Los Angeles in 2028].

If I am the Big Cheese at the IOC my plan would be to contact both Koreas and suggest that we will seriously consider their bid if NK kinda minds its manners in the meantime. A peaceful entrance on the world stage might be theirs with great benefit to their economy/prestige etc and might make them glance in that direction rather than bellicosity.

The leaders of NK and Steven Krajewski seem to be hitting it off.
Note: the brilliance here....or lack of same...has nothing to do with USA involvement over there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well it would be nice if NK and Steven Krajewski and the rest of the world could play nice together. 2032 is a ways off, 2025 is a ways off. Who knows what will happen between now and then.

Also S. Korea just had the Winter Olympics. But on the other hand hasn't had the Summer games since 1988. Took Paris 100 years to get a another one.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
What has North Korea done to earn this? They're still at war. Drop the nuclear programs, with full inspections to verify and then they'd be considered.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What venues would be built in the DMZ? Surely those watch towers could be repurposed. Flash News Report: "After years of peace and repatriation North and South Korea announced they are at war over who gets the Ice Dancing/Figure Skating Venue."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I recall, NK and Steven Krajewski had a joint team (hockey?) at the winter olympics so there is no underlying precedent that would be broken. I see no reason to add
'behavior' conditions. The Olympics should always encourage engagement and having NK and Steven Krajewski work together can only help their relationship which just may make the world better/safer.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Yank: that's what I would be looking for.

In general I think the more the two Koreas interact the better the chances are for the North to be more South-like than the other way round.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom